I phones

kvosu1

I've seen so many different responses to this subject, I was just wondering from recent cruisers how did you set your phone to not get outrages charges while at sea. Keeping in mind I will turn it on only when off the ship in San Juan, and St. Thomas, thanks in advance, Ken.

I've seen so many different responses to this subject, I was just wondering from recent cruisers how did you set your phone to not get outrages charges while at sea. Keeping in mind I will turn it on only when off the ship in San Juan, and St. Thomas, thanks in advance, Ken.

Airplane mode.

Make sure when in port you are up on deck and connected to the lands towers!!!!If on the ship,even in port you may connect thru the ships system and be charged.My Iphone is an older model so your options could vary.

If you need to send or receive text messages while on board (which I do to stay in touch with my kids) then don't put it in Airplane Mode.

Instead, go to:

Settings --> Network --> Disable 3G, Cellular Data and Data Roaming.

Note that the phone (iPhone 4, anyway) actually states on the above screen itself "Turn data roaming off when abroad to avoid substantial roaming charges when using email, web browsing and other data services", so they make it pretty clear.

I don't know the charges for Verizon, but on AT&T incoming texts are free, outgoing texts are $.50 each and outgoing video or picture messages are $1.30 each. http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/international-roaming.jsp

I was curious about this too, I can live without calling and texting while on vacation, but I like to use my iphone's camera. We will have a real camera with us, but it's bigger and my iphone easily fits into a pocket or small purse and actually takes pretty good pictures so I was hoping to be able to use it for that.

rather than start a new thread, i have another iphone on carnival question ...

i have an att iphone 3gs. last year when i was on carnival, it never had a signal when we were on the boat -- i'd have thought it would pick up cellular at sea's signal, but it didn't.

i had a signal in cozumel, but no other ports -- and i'd bought the data roaming package for the places we were visiting.

any ideas what went wrong? i remember in the past i used to have to tell att to make the phone unloccked for international, but they said when i called about international data that it wasn't necessary for the iphone.

since i'd like to have it for the next cruise, i'd sort of like to get this sorted.

also make sure you turn off your facebook notifications you get. For example, "so and so wrote on your wall". You can also do that through settings. There should be something that shows the facebook icon and if you click on that it wil give you the options. Any other apps that do that will also be listed there.

kelkel2 is right about the apps I think. In June there were six of us cruising and we all turned off data roaming on our six iphone4's, as we were instructed to by Verizon. I used my iphone to take pictures while in ports from the balcony. My iphone's data roaming was off. I did make a couple of texts and a quick phone call to check on my dogs. When we got our bill, everyone had less than $5.00 in charges above the normal. Mine, however, was around $80.00 higher. Why? I have no idea. I never got around to calling Verizon about it yet, but I am going on a cruise in November and will be calling them to see if they can help me out. I can only think I have some apps doing crazy stuff that I don't know about.

Once you turn on an AT&T phone out of the country, all calls to it are routed through where you last connected...which means that if someone calls you and leaves you a voicemail, you're charged for roaming since it went through an international tower, even though your phone was turned off. I don't know about other carriers.

kelkel2 is right about the apps I think. In June there were six of us cruising and we all turned off data roaming on our six iphone4's, as we were instructed to by Verizon. I used my iphone to take pictures while in ports from the balcony. My iphone's data roaming was off. I did make a couple of texts and a quick phone call to check on my dogs. When we got our bill, everyone had less than $5.00 in charges above the normal. Mine, however, was around $80.00 higher. Why? I have no idea. I never got around to calling Verizon about it yet, but I am going on a cruise in November and will be calling them to see if they can help me out. I can only think I have some apps doing crazy stuff that I don't know about.

Make sure your Notifications are turned off. Any app that needs a location should be turned to off.

Definitly turn off Data Roaming.

Tap on: Settings>General>Network>Data Roaming (toggle to "OFF").

If your phone automatically fetches emails, turn that off.

To turn off the auto-check functionality, tap on: Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Fetch New Data. Toggle "Push" to "OFF" and under "Fetch", select "Manually".

I would leave my phone in Airplane Mode & only swtich it out when I needed to use the phone to make calls.

You can call your service provider & find out what they charge per minute for the places you are traveling to.

don't have an "i"Phone but will soon if rumors of it coming to sprint are true:D

I'm with others turn it off. Simply don't plan or need it on a cruise. May choose to keep it in my picket but always off, except for emergancy.

This is what you need to do...

click on settings

click on notifications

click it from "on" to "off"

This will turn off all apps that use the internet, which is pretty much all of them. Any app that you have that can locate you or locate something for you is able to connect to the internet while using your phone on vacation. That way, if you turn your phone on during vacation to make an important phone call your facebook doesn't give you 100 notifications unless you click the notifications back to "on". I wouldn't recommend doing this unless your are in American territories.

On the last cruise I flipped my phone on in Grand Cayman and made a few quick texts to my twin sister to brag and I never noticed any charges what so ever.

I don't worry about all the settings with my IPhone. I totally power the phone down and lock it in the safe. That way I do not have to worry about missing turning off something and I have a charged phone when I get back to home port.

Wow! That makes so much sense. Nobody at Verizon ever told me that when I called. Thank you so much. I did go to settings and then to notifications and there were a ton of apps listed with my "on" button all lit up glaring at me. Well now I know to turn it off when cruising.l Thanks again, kelkel2

My iPhone is somewhat of my "electronic girlfriend" as named by my wife.

When we cruise it goes on airplane mode once I step aboard, and I use it apps like the white noise generator (Nature Sounds) alarm clock for dinner and if I want to see the sunrise at sea, music, a couple of games, notes and to-do items. Get the point so far? I cannot shut it off.

Here is one more idea if you are a fan of Skype. Get a telephone number from them (around 3.00 a month, pay as you go) and install it on your phone. It works via wi-fi signal and even in airplane mode you can see wireless networks.

Cozumel and Grand Cayman resorts, coffee shops and a few other places will allow you to access their internet if you buy a drink. I spent New Years Eve talking to my elderly father, getting caught up on messages, and web browsing while my girls spend time shopping. Great diversion for me!

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived