steam room or saunas for men and women?

mgord

Hi does any RCL ships have dual gender saunas or steam rooms? I did not know how else to ask this question. I think it would be nice to sit in the sauna or steam room with my D.W.

Does any one else think this is a good idea?

Radiance class also have the pay for thermal suite.

Thinking of this for Mariner next year (Voyager class). What is included in "thermal suite" and what is typical cost for access. We don't do "services" like massages but access to thermal pool or hot chairs (if there) would be nice in addition to sauna/steam rooms - especially with nine sea days.

Do they have "pay per day" or just pay for whole cruise?

Hi does any RCL ships have dual gender saunas or steam rooms? I did not know how else to ask this question. I think it would be nice to sit in the sauna or steam room with my D.W. Does any one else think this is a good idea?

A good idea for me to sit with your wife in a sauna or steamroom? Not if I want to stay happily married. :p

Sorry, no "European style" saunas or steamrooms on any cruises I've been on. But I hear you. My wife has multiple sclerosis and sometimes needs assistance. It would be nice to have some steamroom or sauna we could both use. But even "family restrooms" are lacking on many ships.

Edited by Jimnbigd

Thinking of this for Mariner next year (Voyager class). What is included in "thermal suite" and what is typical cost for access. We don't do "services" like massages but access to thermal pool or hot chairs (if there) would be nice in addition to sauna/steam rooms - especially with nine sea days.

Do they have "pay per day" or just pay for whole cruise?

Voyager class does not have the thermal suite. Only the Radiance class and Oasis.

• 5 years later...
Hi does any RCL ships have dual gender saunas or steam rooms? I did not know how else to ask this question. I think it would be nice to sit in the sauna or steam room with my D.W.

Does any one else think this is a good idea?

A good idea for me to sit with your wife in a sauna or steamroom? Not if I want to stay happily married. :p

Sorry, no "European style" saunas or steamrooms on any cruises I've been on. But I hear you. My wife has multiple sclerosis and sometimes needs assistance. It would be nice to have some steamroom or sauna we could both use. But even "family restrooms" are lacking on many ships.

As mentioned above, Oasis-class ships (and the newer classes) have thermal suites in the spa. These thermal suites are mixed-sex, but bathing suits must be worn. So it is not exactly "European style" in that sense, but at least a couple could help each other if needed. The changing rooms are, of course, still separate, and the men's is located down the hall from the thermal suite on Oasis-class ships. I'm not sure how far the ladies' changing room is from the thermal suite, but perhaps a spa attendant would be able to provide some assistance if asked or prearranged.

• 2 months later...

This may be a repeat for some ... but just in case it is helpful to anyone who is browsing the threads ...

On the Brilliance (and I'm guessing on other similar ships) there is both a steam room and a dry sauna in the men's and lady's locker/changing room that is used for the spa and fitness center. These gender-separate steam and sauna facilities are free of charge for use by any cruisers. I'm sure they are intended to be used by guests who are using the fitness facility and/or spa services, but that is not a requirement.

The actual TERMAL SUITE facility is co-ed (swimsuit/clothing required) and offers more amenities. On our recent cruise the day pass was $30 or $99 for the 5-day cruise for one person or $149 for two. On the Brilliance there were 5 thermal loungers, a mild steam room, a hot steam room, and aromatherapy room and two 'tropical' showers with optional 'ice drench'. These showers are large enough for a couple to enjoy together ... I'm not suggesting hanky-panky ... but it can be nice just to have your back scrubbed. ;) There is shampoo and body wash in the shower area ... but if you are partial to very specific products or scents, I'd suggest bringing your own to make it even more of a treat.

A lot of guests didn't seem to know that you can adjust the music in the lounging area of the suite. The controls are near the door and offer 3 or 4 selections and a volume control. (The ones I remember were a steel drum caribbean type selection, nature/instrumental, very soft pop/new agey type ... ) I was alone many of the times when I was there ... and usually if someone new came in, I'd mention that they were welcome to change it if they'd like ... just so there wasn't any awkwardness if they didn't care for my choice or volume level.

I loved loved loved the Thermal Suite and feel that it was well worth it for my use ... but my travel partner didn't care very much for it and I think we sort of wasted the extra $50 of adding him on to the pass. For me, a Thermal Spa pass will probably be almost a 'must do' for future cruises as long as the budget allows, but if I'm traveling on a super tight budget, I'm sure I could make do with the sauna/steam facilities in the lady's locker room.

Royals European brands do have co-ed saunas.