Passengers Left Stranded in Portland as Caribbean Princess Dodges Low Tide

LauraS

This is amazing....the equinox spring tides are Wed to Fri this week, which, along with the March spring tides, are the highest and lowest of the year.

On my own beach, where the low tide is normally between 1 and 2.5 metres, today's low tide is only 0.5 metres....and the high tides are the highest of the year.

Tide heights are know well in advance- years and years, so there's been an unusual mix-up here. Someone's calculations have been a bit out.....

Jo.

New pier & exceptional tide, so the cautious captain moved off the pier early & into deeper water, then used the tenders to collect passengers from the pier.

Sensible move, a grounding at the pier would at the very least have involved sending down divers to check for damage.

But I wonder how many passengers ashore ended up with damp underwear when they saw their ship heading out to sea. :D

JB :)

New pier & exceptional tide, so the cautious captain moved off the pier early & into deeper water, then used the tenders to collect passengers from the pier.

Sensible move, a grounding at the pier would at the very least have involved sending down divers to check for damage.

But I wonder how many passengers ashore ended up with damp underwear when they saw their ship heading out to sea. :D

JB :)

That would have been me, for one.....:eek:

Jo.

Oh, I'm all in favour of the captain moving his ship if he was doubtful, and saving his ship is a priority- but looking at the tides for Portland, they're not particularily high or low- between 12ft to -0.9 ft....if I can find that out, then the harbour master must know it to the inch!

They're hardly the tides in the Bristol Channel, which can be 15 METRES! Even my own beach had highs of 8.7 metres this week, and lows of 0.5m....if you're around the sea, you know your tides and depths.

Well done, captain.....

Jo.

if you're around the sea, you know your tides and depths.

Jo.

Where I used to live (Wallington, Fareham) I had a tidal river at the bottom of the garden. :cool:

I knew the tides. :)

Highest was the second shelf of the bookcase :eek:

JB :D

Where I used to live (Wallington, Fareham) I had a tidal river at the bottom of the garden. :cool:

I knew the tides. :)

Highest was the second shelf of the bookcase :eek:

JB :D

LOL!

We have beach houses and shacks along the shingle for about 9 miles, just north of us....some have concrete walls round them, for the spring tides. People have lived happily in them for years. Every few years, some will be breached, but people like living right on the beach, so they just take their chances.

Jo.

Archived