Question on HAL's policy for credit in advance

Loucat

We will be on our first HAL cruise in January. When I went to online check in, they want to charge each of us around $400 advance credit for onboard expenses. Is this usual? When do they put through the charge and if we already have OBC how does this work?

I appreciate any information. I know I can call HAL, but want to hear from HAL cruisers.

Thanks!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1425808&highlight=advance+credit+card+authorization

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1327906&highlight=advance+credit+card+authorization

Long story short is it isn't an actual charge to your CC, it's only a "hold" on your credit limit and the exact amount on your room bill is what's actually charged to the card at disembarkation. If you have a low limit on your CC then having a chunk of it taken up by this authorization could have an impact but most folks have a large enough credit limit that $400 or so dollars won't even be noticed.

The OBC comes directly off whatever your final room bill is and has zero effect on the CC hold.

Cruise lines are not the only company's that put holds on your CC. I just had issues with my Mastercharge over holds placed on it by two Airlines flights we had purchased. This is a practise that happened with Hotels as well. Once the CC get the actual charge the hold is removed. As was mentioned it is done to ensure charge will be paid. It is a good thing for company's owed money but can be scary if you have a low credit limit.

That was part of the issue, the holds were higher than the actual charge. But it is all cleared now, it pays to follow up with your CC company if you have an issue, it might not be their fault. Mine was caused by a computer error.

One local gas station always puts a hold of $126 on my card whenever I pay-at-the-pump, regardless of the actual amount.

That's outrageous! Not only is $126 more than most tanks will hold (yes, even at today's prices), but they have an exact amount by the time you're finished pumping!

I can accept the idea of holding a reasonable amount, based on historical averages, when an actual charge won't be known until later.

But your example is beyond the pale. :eek:

Archived