Thinking of trying Carnival....save your money!

lnm

We just got back from a cruise on the Carnival Glory. I've got to say that this cruise was definitely not worth the money. We didn't have a bad time, it was better than being at work, but I wish we hadn't gone with Carnival. We've cruise on the Navigator and the Mariner.

I'd have to say that there was more touches of elegance on the Glory....such as the wood floors and all the wood in our suite....but that's about it!

Our 2 teens weren't too happy with the "teen area" either. Nothing for them to do. On Royal Caribbean they never wanted to get off. This time, they were ready to go home. My 17 year old actually read his book in the cabin all day and went out at night. I can't get him to crack a book at home unless it's at gunpoint! lol

There isn't enough open space on the ship. I felt like a sardine! No Promenade deck....well there was but nothing in comparison!!! No chairs at the pool, the employees seemed ragged out TIRED!!!

Our cabin steward (Tamara) was awesome and we tipped her an extra $20. The captain should learn how to use the stabalizers.....very rocky ship; which didn't bother us, but I'd hate to be a waiter!

We normally don't go to the diniing room every night and the 1st night that we decided to go to the buffet, I thought we took a wrong turn and ended up at the school cafeteria line. There was nothing appetizing to eat....hardly any food at all actually. Breakfast was pretty bad both in the dining room and the cafeteria. The grill by the pool was great! but they werren't open after 6:00. Pizza was also good.

Again, to compare to Royal Caribbean, I wish I would have spent the extra money and stayed with RCCL. Live and learn.

After 16 cruises I've learned that there's a line for everyone. After one cruise on the Navigator, I felt like I had spent the week at Mall of America. Not the normal feeling of being at sea and 3400 other guests was not my cup of tea. Although Royal Caribbean's DR food is "good", it certainly is not up to Carnival's standards. I would prefer RCL's Radiance or Vision class but Carnival's DR food. Buffets are just that; buffets. Of course these are just my observations from multiple trips on both lines.

I hope anyone reading this thread takes the OP's comments with a grain of salt. I am sorry they had a bad cruise (I told them that on the similar thread that was posted on the Carnival board) but frankly I have read too many comparisons between the two lines to realize that they are similar . This thread is not really an objective comparison between two lines. I someday hope to try RCCL even though I love Carnival and hope everyone here is willing to try Carnival or any of the other lines out there. No line is perfect.

There isn't enough open space on the ship. I felt like a sardine! No Promenade deck....well there was but nothing in comparison!!! No chairs at the pool, the employees seemed ragged out TIRED!!!

I know, that's how I feel. I recently had a chance to visit one of their so called newer and bigger ships at the superbowl this year and it was still tight in there.

We just got back from a cruise on the Carnival Glory. I've got to say that this cruise was definitely not worth the money. We didn't have a bad time, it was better than being at work, but I wish we hadn't gone with Carnival. We've cruise on the Navigator and the Mariner.

I'd have to say that there was more touches of elegance on the Glory....such as the wood floors and all the wood in our suite....but that's about it!

Our 2 teens weren't too happy with the "teen area" either. Nothing for them to do. On Royal Caribbean they never wanted to get off. This time, they were ready to go home. My 17 year old actually read his book in the cabin all day and went out at night. I can't get him to crack a book at home unless it's at gunpoint! lol

Our cabin steward (Tamara) was awesome and we tipped her an extra $20. The captain should learn how to use the stabalizers.....very rocky ship; which didn't bother us, but I'd hate to be a waiter!

We normally don't go to the diniing room every night and the 1st night that we decided to go to the buffet, I thought we took a wrong turn and ended up at the school cafeteria line. There was nothing appetizing to eat....hardly any food at all actually. Breakfast was pretty bad both in the dining room and the cafeteria. The grill by the pool was great! but they werren't open after 6:00. Pizza was also good.

Again, to compare to Royal Caribbean, I wish I would have spent the extra money and stayed with RCCL. Live and learn.

1) Are you talking about inside several levels Promenade? If yes then you should realize they exist only on Eagle class RCCL ships (and Freedom).

2) I felt almost the same about buffets (and some food in DR) on RCCL in comparison to X... but I loved our cruise on Splendour and ship itself.

3)If my kid didn't like to read, but read whole cruise long on Carnival, I'd only book this line from now on.;) :)

I too feel really bad thet had a bad cruise;but I won't trash another line until I've tried them myself. I too really love RCCL but I'm going to try Disney this summer and Carnival next year. Any cruise is better than being @ work!!;)

I hope anyone reading this thread takes the OP's comments with a grain of salt. I am sorry they had a bad cruise (I told them that on the similar thread that was posted on the Carnival board) but frankly I have read too many comparisons between the two lines to realize that they are similar . This thread is not really an objective comparison between two lines. I someday hope to try RCCL even though I love Carnival and hope everyone here is willing to try Carnival or any of the other lines out there. No line is perfect.

Well I have been on Carnival many times(been on classes of Carnival ships) and in December decided to try a Voyager class ship(Navigator OTS). I had also been on RCI twice prior which was on the Majesty OTS and had a great time. I can agree with many things that the OP stated.

First, compared to the Voyager class ships the Destiny/Conquest class ships are very crowded. They do not just appear crowded. Limited deck space also. Also a very poor design as they do not flow well.

The evening casual atmosphere of the Windjammer is head and shoulders above anything that Carnival puts out. I have always had the feeling that Carnival was punishing their guests for not eating in the main dining room for dinner. RCI has many many more selections in the Windjammer for their evening casual dining. I also like that on the Navigator you were not allowed in the casual dining with swimsuits and no shirt on.

Even though I have no kids I did see the kids/teen area and once again better than anything that Carnival currently has on their ships.

Carnival does have better pizza hands down. RCI tastes frozen. I also found the staff to be overall much more friendly on RCI. They seemed genuine with their responses. Also a biggie with me. I have cruised with Carnival 16 times. I have nothing to show for it as far as Carnival is concerned. They have no past guest program to reward their customers. At RCI I am building quickly on my Crown and Anchor program.

I was booked on the Inspiration for May 9th with a 50% off discount which was a good deal considering that I had booked a suite. Decided to cancel and am now booked on the Sovereign for May 6th along with another trip this December back on the Navigator. No cruise line is perfect but some are better than others. Carnival has lost me as a customer for at least a while.

I have been on ccl many times and enjoyed it. Now I'm taking my first rccl cruise 4/9. I am apprenhensive because I have heard the pool area is small, there are only 2 banks of elevators for such a large ship. Also ccl has large inside cabins. I am looking forward to the variety of activities on NOS. I still think there's a place for ccl. You can get some great bargains.

I thought that on the Navigator the pool was bigger than on the Glory. The size of the inside cabins between the two were the same or close to it. The junior suites on RCCL are bigger than Glory, but Glory's were more elegant....no complaints on it....but the balcony was smaller on the Glory. The inside cabin bathroom on the Navigator has a shower door rather than a curtain like Glory did.

Your exactly right with the casual dining. We felt like we were punished for not going to the dining room....like everything closed down to serve in the dining room.

We made the most of it but never again.

I have been on ccl many times and enjoyed it. Now I'm taking my first rccl cruise 4/9. I am apprenhensive because I have heard the pool area is small, there are only 2 banks of elevators for such a large ship. Also ccl has large inside cabins. I am looking forward to the variety of activities on NOS. I still think there's a place for ccl. You can get some great bargains.
what ship are you sailing on.

I sailed on the Glory last July. I wasn't impressed. The layout of the ship was atrocious. There were several levels where you had to go up or down a level or two to get to the forward or aft part of that deck. I'd talk about the dining room service, but that seems petty. A cruise is a cruise, but I don't think I'd do Carnival again unless it was a REALLY good deal.

Was on the Glory for Valentine's cruise and agree w/all these complaints. Enough small problems that it's another one of those "I'm going to write a letter" situations but prob. won't get around to it. Started off w/no cabin service the first nite & calling for ice, daily newsletter so I could plan my next day & [gasp!] ashtray..not concerned w/turn down etc..no results! 2nd call 30 min later @ almost 1:30 a.m. they apologized saying the stewards were working on luggage. Not on passengers still..then whose? Mid cruise..had to ask @ nite for anything other than water w/meal & dried up ferns in fake flowers on tables which became a joke, etc.,etc. Ended with being last called to disembark and still had to go to 3 different carousels for 3 pcs of luggage and in panic that ours were lost since very few pcs still coming out. Better pizza not good enuf to choose CCL! Nope. Back to RCI & just watch for "deals"!

Herb, seems like you just can't please some people.

Of course I understand how no chairs at the pool during one of the busiest times of year, buffet food at the buffet, a shower curtain and not a shower door and dried up ferns in the dinner vase could ruin a whole entire cruise.

Must be tough having to live a perfect life. :rolleyes: :D

We've been on a number of cruises on four different cruise lines and find the service and immenties can vary between ships within each line.

On our last RCI GOS cruise we we were surprised at the number of passengers that were dogging Carnival and NCL. When we inquired which ships they had been on, the usual response was "None of them, we wouldn't think of sailing on anything other than RCI"

INM, I give you a thumbs up for at least trying Carnival before making a judgement, but I hope you don't condem the whole line on based on one ship.

I agree with Gordon...Carnival has lost me for now - at least.

I sailed on the Miracle in November - just 2 weeks before the Jewel of the Seas. I too felt punished for not going to the dining room and found the choices in the casual dining lacking. Overall, the service in the dining room was awful. Don't know if the food was good or not because I didn't do back after the second night.

The staff on the Jewel was over the top, food was very good, and so many choices (all over the ship). The Miracle wasn't a bad cruise and was certainly better than working but for the money spent - RCI wins hands down. Of course I'm glad that not eveyone agrees because then I wouldn't get a cabin on an RCI ship ;)

while I don't condemn the whole Carnival fleet, I can't say that I would put my money on them again. I'm not a gambler! That's way too much money to hope that they improved! Plus I just didn't like the ship.

Herb, seems like you just can't please some people.

Of course I understand how no chairs at the pool during one of the busiest times of year, buffet food at the buffet, a shower curtain and not a shower door and dried up ferns in the dinner vase could ruin a whole entire cruise.

Must be tough having to live a perfect life. :rolleyes: :D

Mike, I don't think any of us said our cruise was ruined. This was in reply to why we'd prob. not sail the Glory over RCI again. We did have a great time but you do miss out on a lot of the amenities & courtesies of the Mariner! I could have listed quite a few more but didn't want to sound like a whiner & get all the more sarcasm! Try it and you'll understand. You may even love the orange walls, orange vinyl furniture & 50's blonde free form wood table! :rolleyes:

cruisenator2,

I was booked on the Inspiration for May 9th with a 50% off discount which was a good deal considering that I had booked a suite. Decided to cancel and am now booked on the Sovereign for May 6th along with another trip this December back on the Navigator. No cruise line is perfect but some are better than others. Carnival has lost me as a customer for at least a while.

Sovereign has the smallest cabins I have ever seen. Food was not great either. Was on the Inspiration a year ago, while she needed a little work her cabins were twice the size of Sovereign and food and shows were 100 % better than sovereign. Big mistake when you canceled Inspiration if your looking for better food , shows or cabin space. If deck space is the most inportant thing than I would say Sovereign has a little bit more than inspiration.

I think Carnival and RCCL are almost equal, I choose by the ports when going Carnival or RCCl. Would have to give the edge to Carnival. In the last few years Carnival has improved 100%.

cruisenator2,

Sovereign has the smallest cabins I have ever seen. Food was not great either. Was on the Inspiration a year ago, while she needed a little work her cabins were twice the size of Sovereign and food and shows were 100 % better than sovereign. Big mistake when you canceled Inspiration if your looking for better food , shows or cabin space. If deck space is the most inportant thing than I would say Sovereign has a little bit more than inspiration.

I think Carnival and RCCL are almost equal, I choose by the ports when going Carnival or RCCl. Would have to give the edge to Carnival. In the last few years Carnival has improved 100%.

I know what I am getting into with the Sovereign. I have been on the Majesty OTS twice and have no problem with the cabins for a short cruise. I have also found RCI's entertainment and food to be just as good as Carnival. While the food and entertainment is important, for me it is the overall cruise that I judge and RCI blows Carnival out of the water here. The level of service and the overall condition of the ships is much better IMHO on RCI. Also RCI has a past guest program where Carnival does not. Makes a big difference in my view. RCI says I want you back and Carnival says that they could care less.

I'm sorry,but comparing Carnival's Glory to RCL's Mariner,is like apples to oranges. They are 2 very different classes of ships,and simply do not compare. Unfortunately,CCL doesn't have a ship(no other line does either)which CAN compare to the Voyager class of ships. The Voyager class,and Mariner in particular,wins hands down on Best ship out there. I agree,the layout of CCL's Destiny class,and Conquest class,of which Glory is one,is very confusing and sometime's downright frustrating.Talk about"you can't get there from here".They should have rethought the design of those class ships a couple of more times. On the other hand,the Pride and others of that class,are beautiful and terrific ships. I have been on both cruise lines numerous times,and each has its own merits. I agree whole heartely with another poster,that RCL does treat their past cruisers better,and rewards them nicely. I'm working on Platinum with them right now.

[I don't claim to be an expert-2 RCI's and 1 CCL- but I agree with the statement about RCI seems to WANT you to come back, while CCL is glad you're gone...we did the Inspiration with my 80something parents and my 3 siblings and their spouses back in November. We got "outvoted" on CCL vs RCI. Can't explain the "gut level feeling", but the "awe" factor was definitely missing. The layout left something to be desired-my mother refused to leave her room unless someone was going with her...she was afraid she'd get lost!!

The general "product" was the same, but the "elegant" feeling wasn't there. On Royal, we felt like Royalty....on CCL we felt like part of a herd of sheep.

JMHO-YMMV.

Just my humble opinion-your mileage may vary.

I've had two cruises with Carnival and loved them both. My first cruise was on the Holiday (oldest in the fleet) and that's what made me the cruising fanatic I am today, even though we got stuck on the Mississippi River and missed our only port (Cozumel) and went to Key West instead (and we had bunkbeds). Carnival gave us a $300 shipboard credit for the problems, plus 50% off our next cruise ... which we used on the Conquest (which was the newest ship in the fleet at the time). Yes, both ships were a bit gaudy (Holiday much more than Conquest), but their service, dining and evening entertainment were excellent.

Our last cruise was on the Norwegian Sun to Alaska. We loved the itinerary, our JS, and the seminars. The entertainment was mixed, loved the late night comedian, the "Broadway" shows were abysmal, and the dining room food was just mediocre, from selection to presentation to taste.

Our next cruise (IN LESS THAN 2 WEEKS, YEA!) is on RCI and we're looking forward to it. Our cruise in August is on Princess which we booked for the itinerary (we wanted to do Glacier Bay and the College Fjords).

We're planning a Mediterranean cruise in 2006, and are looking forward to see what is available through CCL and RCI.

We had a wonderful time on this ship. I am sorry to hear about your cruise. I never was on the new RCI cruise ships but will be comming up. Personally, I like to try different cruise lines. Princess is my favorite for a laid back cruise and Carnival is my favorite for having a good time cruise. We will see what RCI has to offer on thier new ships and I will check back. :)

Archived