RCCL Monarch of the Seas 5306

LadyTenorJD

Just took my first cruise in June aboard the Monarch. As we booked last minute (waiting on hubby's passport as he is a resident and not yet a citizen), we opted for the oceanview guarantee (at the time, it was cheaper than inside cabins).

We wound up in cabin 5306. Excellent cruise, but hated the cabin! On day 2, a foul smell entered the hallway. It smelled like a cross between seaweed and raw sewage. Luckily, the smell was outside the cabin and we didn't smell it when we were in the room.

The room was also at the extreme front of the ship. When we would enter ports (CocoCay, especially, since there passengers must tender), we could hear the anchor being dropped, and a variety of other noises. As I am NOT an early riser, this annoyed me immensely. I suppose the same was true when we got to Nassau, but we arrived in Nassau around 11:00 a.m. and we were already up and outside, watching the ship dock.

The Monarch was a great ship and we had a great cruise, but avoid cabin 5306!

The moral of the story is that I rather choose my room rather than gamble on a guarantee. Never again!

**I said never again, but when I booked my upcoming cruise on CCL, the CCL agent I spoke to booked me under a guarantee because it was cheaper, but gave me a midship balcony. I told him about my woes and he said he almost never books passengers on front cabins, unless everything else is sold out. As this is will be my first time on Carnival, the jury is still out. But I have heard great things from friends and family on their past CCL experiences. :)

Archived