Any Good Cruise Movies or Books?

suziehmkr

Since our cruise is almost 9 months away - I thought it would be fun to watch some good cruise movies or read a good cruise book!

Titanic is not really what I had in mind! LOL Although RCCL did play the theme song while we were out at the pool on our last cruise. What was THAT about?

Wish I could get the Love Boat series on DVD....

I watch the Travel Channel any time a cruise show is on.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

I am currently reading a book titled "The Last Girls" by Lee Smith...

It is about a group of women who take a cruise down the mississippi river... Of course it is not the oh-so-glamorous cruise we are used to on Princess, but it is a good book so far!!

Thanks!! I will look into that book!

I have had to do the same thing to get thru this cancelled hockey season...hockey movies! Miracle & Slap Shot have been frequent movies see in this house this last winter!!

Thanks!! I will look into that book!

I have had to do the same thing to get thru this cancelled hockey season...hockey movies! Miracle & Slap Shot have been frequent movies see in this house this last winter!!

I only wish one of those packagers would put together a DVD of the Love Boat episodes ... sort of like the DVDs they offer of so many of the older TV series. Now that would be something wonderful to pass the time until the next cruise.

I know I'm gonna be hurting after I my Island cruise next month is over. I have to wait until clear up to next January for the next one. :( Boy, those Love Boat episodes would sure pass the time.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Good evening, suziehmkr. Wasn't "An Affair to Remember" partially set on a ship? We sometimes rent movies set in the cities we're going to visit such as "Night of the Iguana" before we went on the Mexico cruise and "Blue Hawaii" before our honeymoon on the islands.

Speed 2: Cruise Control with Sandra Bullock is set on a Radisson ship I think. There are several mystery books set on cruise ships. I wish I could remember their names, but I found them on the library catalog search. I think one was written by Mary Higgins Clark's daughter Carol. Not a bad lighthearted read.

Books - Liners to the Sun and The Only Way to Cross are very interesting and will give you an idea of where cruising came from. I recently read Warrior Queens, about how the Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary served during WW2. All these books are very easy to read in spite of their historical nature.

Has anyone read "Cruise Blues: Behind the scenes in the Cruise Industry"?

I know there was also a book written by the wife of a CD..I had the site bookmarked, but I lost all of my favorites when I loaded some new software and I'd like to find it again...any help?

Yes, An Affair to Remember has quite a bit of it set on an ocean liner ("winter must be cold for those with no warm memories...we've already missed the spring..." I love that movie!). And there's a Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers movie that involves an ocean liner but I can't remember which one it is...I think it might be Shall We Dance but I'm not positive. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, with Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russel, also takes place mostly on an ocean liner. Actually, a lot of classic films have segments involving ocean liners, I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of right now.

Not long ago there was another thread in which derf let me know that you can go to amazon.com and request that the love boat be available on DVD. I went and put in my email and they said they would let me know when it became available.

Current Spelling productions that made the love boat is not running it on any channels anywhere. My guess is they are saving up for a big re-release when the DVD comes out - maybe for the 25th or 30th anniversary of the show.

You can always watch the poseidon adventure!

There was a book a while back about women on a cruise. I will write back when I think of the name - it was a mystery about 2 best friends on a cruise.

Cruising and reading.....ahhhhh, two of my favorite things!

Have a few recomendations:

l) Decked....Carol Higgins Clark (finished this mystery whilst cruising on the Caribbean Princess... :) )

2) Cruising for Murder....Susan Sussman (mystery involving members of the entertainment onboard)

3) Murder on the QE2/A Murder She Wrote Mystery....Jessica Fletcher & Donald Bain (haven't read yet, but looks fun)

4) If I Were Not Upon the Sea...Joyce Gleeson-Adamidis (written by the wife of a Celebrity Captain...a little weird, but interesting)

Happy reading! Pat

I read a book called Princess Charming by Jane Heller.

It was a very entertaining, light reading mystery that takes place aboard a cruise ship "The Princess Charming".

It's been about a year since I read it, but your question made me remember it (and I usually don't remember too much of what I read). My husband thought I was nuts laughing out loud while reading a book. It painted a very vivid picture of some of the characters you are bound to run into on just about any ship.

As far as old TV shows go, there's always the season of "I Love Lucy" where Lucy and Ricky and Fred and Ethel go to Europe with Ricky's band. They go on a ship and Lucy runs back down the gangway to kiss Little Ricky one more time and the ship takes off without her. So, the only way she can rejoin the ship is for a helicopter to take her out and she has to be lowered on a little rope swing. Can you imagine the cost these days of a helicopter taking you to a ship?! There are several other episodes on board the ship too.

"If I Were Not Upon The Sea" (the one by a Celebrity captain's wife) is definitely weird - boring in spots - but overall a good read.

Also, "Sisterchicks in Sombreros", a lighthearted Christian novel, also involves 2 sisters going on a cruise to Mexico. My mom read it on our last cruise, and loved it!

What about John Grishom's "Skipping Christmas" - it was the reason we took our first cruise two years ago. It always gets me excited about cruising - but read it sooner rather than later, because it's kinda hard to read in the summer. And, as usual, the book is much better than the movie that was out this year, so don't avoid the book because you've seen the movie.

Also, I have Robin Jones Gunn's "Sisterchicks in Sombreros" - I have not read it yet, but I am taking it on the Star next week. From the back, I think it is a comedy about a cruise gone bad.

MadMark's wife.

Thanks so much for all of the great ideas!! I knew I would get some great stuff here!! They will surely keep me busy dreaming of ours!

Skipping Christmas! I should have thought of that because THAT is exactly why we are going to Hawaii over the holidays. We tell everyone that we are pulling a Christmas with the Kranks but we are actually going to go!!!

Archived