Any Good Cruise Movies or Books?

suziehmkr

Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie. Film version with all-star cast: Bette Davis, Maggie Smith, Mia Farrow, David Niven, Peter Ustinov, etc.

Of course, there's always The Poseidon Adventure and Titanic, but you may not want to watch these before your cruise - LOL!

Lifeboat directed by Alfred Hitchcock with Tallulah Bankhead and William Bendix.

I immediately thought about the "I Love Lucy" episodes, but I noticed that someone else has already mentioned those.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

Has anyone read "Cruise Blues: Behind the scenes in the Cruise Industry"?

I think this was a book I borrowed from the library. It is really a downer! Although it was interesting to read about some of the horrors behind cruise ships, i.e. too many ships polluting the environment, unsanitary conditions, etc., I don't recommend it if you have a tripped booked - it would be pretty depressing, especially if you believed everything you read. :rolleyes: With that said, I booked Princess for August, so apparently all the positives I read won out over all the negatives in that book.

Although the ship is certainly a secondary role, I have always been partial to "Sea Wife" with Richard Burton and Joan Collins.

Kind of a cross between "An Affair to Remember" and "Heaven Knows Mr. Allison", both of which starred Deborah Kerr.

I don't remember which one of the James Bond (Sean Connery) movies it was, but the late great Canberra was featured.

Thanks so much for checking! Guess that mean it isn't even on it's late night line up... that is a bummer.

No, I work midnight to 8:00 a.m. and I'm always checking. We are fortunate in that we have a tv in our break area that the building people tapped into our cable feed. We get TV Land and at one point maybe a year ago, they were running LoveBoat late at night, but no more. Believe me, I keep checking all the time.

Sadly, our TV does not have a VCR ... so I wouldn't even be able to record them. I don't have cable at home. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

Another good book is "Ships Log - Writings At Sea" by John Tullius

This book a book of short stories written by writers aboard a Caribbean cruise.

They each submitted several short stories with a cruising theme and were judged during their writing conference during their cruise. The best ones were put in this book.

The stories have mystery, humor, drama and sentiment. I am taking my book on my cruise next week.

You can purchase at www.amazon.com $14.41

Becky

Back in the early 80s we had an actor work for us as a temp (he was a great secretary BTW) who got a gig on a special Love Boat. He got a Mediterrean cruise -- yes, they shot it while at sea. So everyone at our agency made sure we watched it. He ended up being one of those happy faces at the beginning! He didn't even know ahead of time he would be an official guest star.

Found the episode on imdb.com: Captain and the Kid, The/The Dean and the Flunkee/Poor Rich Man/Isaac Aegean Affair: Part 2" Episode: #6.19 - 5 February 1983

My sister used to date a guy who was an extra on Love Boat lots of times, ususally the guy at the bar.

Another good book is "Ships Log - Writings At Sea" by John Tullius

This book a book of short stories written by writers aboard a Caribbean cruise.

They each submitted several short stories with a cruising theme and were judged during their writing conference during their cruise. The best ones were put in this book.

Yes, thank you! Excellent book.

I'm one of the writers with a story in there, so I guess I'm biased. :)

The book was compiled on a HAL Rotterdam cruise in March 2004 by the participants in a Writer's Challenge at Sea program sponsored by the Maui Writers Foundation. They're doing another writer's cruise on the Oosterdam in May, but since it's only a seven-day Alaska cruise, I don't believe they are actually publishing a book out of it.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Kris - thank you for writing - the title of the book that I was talking about in my earlier post was Princess Charming by Jane Heller. It was a great book and I still recommend it.

Just to be helpful, yahoo.com has tv listings available for all zip codes. You can keep checking for the Love Boat that way even though I still believe they are keeping it off the air for a 25 or 30 year reunion anniversary special release!

I love all of the great recommendations!! I am primarily a John Grisham fan, so getting out of my box on books will be fun!!!! And watching some of these moving over the upcoming weekends will be great too!

Thanks again everyone!!

How about "Voyage of the Damned" or "The Poseidon Adventure". Just kidding, but 2 very good movies with ship voyages giving very important messages................watch them again and they will make you think.

• 2 months later...

A friend just told me about a "fun" book called Skinny Dip...

Its about a husband and wife who take a 7-night Caribbean Cruise, and on the last night, he pushes her overboard!! When she lands in the water, her clothes come off (hence the name).

My friend hasn't finished reading it yet, but she said so far its really good!

Have any of you caught the new television show on TLC called: Drydock: A Cruise Ship Reborn? It's about a Royal Caribbean cruise ship that's to be made over in 18 days:eek: Very intresting to say the least! I first saw it on Wednesday night at 10pm if that helps anyone. It's next air time/date is Sunday at 8pm est.

Archived