"Galbration"- anyone ready?

cardamon

One of my girlfriends used this term to describe her upcoming vacation with girlfriends and I thought it was a terrific word! Maybe this is not the perfect place for this discussion, but I'm sure someone will let me know if there is a more appropriate place.

Anyway- just wanted to know how many of you have been on a Galbration, did you dress up as often (as when we "dress" for those dinners with our DH), and what did you do differently while on ship?

Our cruise is coming up fast- 11/12 on the EOS from Baltimore for a 5-night cruise to Bermuda. We have shopped at Chicos for some new basics, discussed what to wear, planned a few excursions. The temp will be low 60's, with sun, 70 degrees.

Any suggestions on what to wear around the ship? On our Bermuda excursions?

Anyone think this would be a great Girls Weekend (extended) to plan for another time?:p

Daytime on the ship is ultra-casual....shorts, flip-flops, etc...are the "dress of the day". It's really only for dinner when the suggested dress codes come into play.

I would definitely bring things that you can layer, if needed...it may be cool in mid Nov....but it might not be...so prepare for anything! I doubt it will be COLD....so you won't need winter coats!!!

As far as "dressing up"...I probably would dress for dinner the same whether hubby is there or not...I enjoy looking good!

Any suggestions on what to wear around the ship? On our Bermuda excursions?

Anyone think this would be a great Girls Weekend (extended) to plan for another time?:p

Your galbration sounds fun! If you haven't been to Bermuda before, it's wonderful...exquisitely beautiful, very polite and friendly.

For Bermuda, I recommend sunscreen, a shady hat, a backpack and comfortable walking sandals. Local Hamilton women wear high heels, but I don't know how...the whole island is very hilly. Buses and ferries are the way to travel, so you'll find yourself doing a fair amount of walking. I've only been in May, but chances are it will be warm even in November. A good place for snorkling, so you may want to make room for your own eq...flippers aren't really necessary but a mask and breathing tube-y thing (to use the technical term) can be useful as they often run out and there's the sharing spit with strangers aspect. The backpack is to hold your swimsuit in a plastic zip lock, a towel and maybe your mask...more sunscreen etc.

Must sees in my book: south beaches, St. George and especially Somer's Park, Tobacco Bay

I thought The Swizzle Inn was overrated, but really recommend the restaurant at the BUEI overlooking the harbour.

And just to bring this back again to fashion, you'll love the traditional Bermuda man's fashion sense. Traditional and conservative business from the waist up but bold and summery below...it's a statement!

This has given me more direction than any thread so far! thanks for the layering comments- I'm really hoping for warm weather. I don't think I'll snorkel- I hate being cold! But I will bring my "Bermuda" shorts for the daytime deck activities if it is too cold for my suit. We have a Solarium- which is great for a nap and a book, in a bathing suit, in warm sunshine!

I have my casual "dressy" sandals from Sketchers that I wore all over Nassau last year- just bought another pair on sale- now I have black and tan with a slight wedge heel. Totally comfortable!

Just read a great travel tip on independenttraveler.com- reasons to bring a hat. At night, put all your necessary items for the next day- SEaPass, wallet, shades, etc. in it- so they will not be forgotten when you go off the ship!

Has anyone done a "Galbration" cruise? Anything you did there that you would not do with your DH along?

Archived