Dawn or Coral for short repo??

mringenoldus

I have booked an OS and BC on the Coral for a 2-night Pacific coast repo.

The Dawn leaves the same port for 3-nights the following day.

The Dawn would be about $400 more total for the same type of cabins. We have been on the Sun before and liked it - however I did like the idea of trying a new ship.

Anyone been on both ships that can offer a view??

Maureen

We've taken short Coastals on both the Coral Princess and Sun Princess (sister to Dawn) recently, and liked both ships very much.

I do think the mini-suites on the Sun are better laid out (and roomier) than those on the Coral Princess.

The Coral, being newer, does have more "bells and whistles" than the Sun class.

I also have been on both the Coral and the Sun(sister to Dawn) and they both have their great qualities but I would select Coral because of the size, a little bit more room and just a great ship and just a newer ship.

Marilyn

I have booked an OS and BC on the Coral for a 2-night Pacific coast repo.

The Dawn leaves the same port for 3-nights the following day.

The Dawn would be about $400 more total for the same type of cabins. We have been on the Sun before and liked it - however I did like the idea of trying a new ship.

Anyone been on both ships that can offer a view??

we've been on both the Dawn and the Coral (but for longer cruises, Dawn 17 days, Coral 7).

We love the Dawn more than the Coral (cozier, love the balconies more - they let us feel more private), but for a Pacific coast repo, I think I'd opt for the Coral because of the covered pool. We found it way too chilly cruising up the Pacific coast to use the pool on the Dawn (beginning of May - early mid-May).

I would opt for the Coral for the reasons listed above - much newer, lower passenger density, probably more entertainment and dining options. I sailed the Dawn when she was very new and liked her very much, but, having sailed the Coral when about the same age, I'll go with the old adage of "the newer the better".

Hi Michael!! Very nice to here from you again!

Thanks to everyone for all the input.

I wish the Coral was stopping in Victoria - but I guess we could take the ferry over. has anyone seen a ferry that leaves from the downtown Vancouver peir area? The only one I've seen leaves from a bit south of Vancouver.

Has anyone seen a ferry that leaves from the downtown Vancouver peir area? The only one I've seen leaves from a bit south of Vancouver.

There is no ferry service from d/t Vancouver to d/t Victoria. You will need to take a BC Ferry from Tsawwassen-Swartz Bay (Vancouver-Victoria)

map-mainland.gif

You can get a bus/charter service between Vancouver and Victoria through: http://www.pacificcoach.com/

Have agreat trip!

Beside the Coral having an indoor pool, and the Bayou rest. If you liked the sit down pizza/calzone rest on the Sun/Dawn, the Coral only has the pizza by the slice on the outside deck across from the BBQ grill area. Sun/Dawn had more outside front decks(probably too cold for that) than the Coral. If the Dawn is going to Victoria and you haven't done that yet, do it. We did it last fall and went to the High Tea at the empress, loved it, now I know what a good scone tastes like. Princess has a bus,was pretty cheap, that drops you off in town on the side of the Empress.

I just read this morning that the Dawn is going to Australia. I wonder if the repo is cancelled?

Since my grandson is going the covered pool might be a nice option. I also wonder if I shouldn't select a cabin on the starboard side. Wouldn't that give a view of the coastline on a northbound trip?

I wrote my TA about a small price drop ($50) I found on an internet site. I was surprised when she replied that she found no lower fare and that there wouldn't be any until 6 months prior. Sound reasonable??

pmcrusta

That is a very controversial issue - but Princess has counted my short coastals towards my Elite status and cruise history - but I would have the Elite status even if they (and I) did not count the two/three & four day trips.

Some would prefer that number of total days be counted - not number of different trips.

Again, makes no difference to me - I have it both ways!

I have decided to stick with the Coral. I just wrote the TA asking about the view from the starboard side. I also asked about BC category cabins #B627 and B633. They look so much larger on the deck plans but are not marked as disabled cabins. Has anyone had one of these??

I think my last 3 nighter counted - but not sure about the one nighter. Is there anywhere to check on the Princess site that tells you how many cruises they have credited?

I have decided to stick with the Coral. I just wrote the TA asking about the view from the starboard side. I also asked about BC category cabins #B627 and B633. They look so much larger on the deck plans but are not marked as disabled cabins. Has anyone had one of these??

I think my last 3 nighter counted - but not sure about the one nighter. Is there anywhere to check on the Princess site that tells you how many cruises they have credited?

B627 & B633 are Wheelchair-accessible.

Check out the deck plan on the Princess site:

http://www.princess.com/ships/co/room/C627.html

There is a small (faint) white circle below the cabin number. The legend on the left hand side confirms this means Wheelchair-accessible.

My parents were 'upgraded' to this cabin a few days before sailing one time. I guess no one 'needed' the benefit of this cabin. They said it was very spacious, and a great sized balcony. Note: the shower is also different, bigger, to allow a wheelchair to roll in with a big curtain pulled around.

And yes, all 'voyages,' regardless of length count, towards your captain circle status.

We did the 3 day repo on the Island last September and have this Sept booked again.

2 days is way too short. Even 3 is too short.

We are leaving on the Diamond for the 4 day repo on 05/03/05. We also have the 7 day Island repo booked for 05/06/06

There is a flight from downtown Vancouver to downtown Victoria in a float plane. We used it to go from Victoria to Vancouver prior to a Canadian Rockies tour we took. They have weight limits, so if you have a lot of luggage, it might have to go at another time than you do.

Roberta

We did a coastal repositioning cruise a couple of years ago on NCL. Had a

great time and are leaving for another one on HAL April 30th.

Once we sailed out of Vancouver it was open water all the way, never saw

land again til we docked at San Pedro, we did however see the odd boat

and fisherman.

We have booked an aft cabin on the port side as I am hoping the weather will

co-operate and we can have dinner on our balcony one night and watch

the sunset:D

Have a great cruise.

Bev

B627 & B633 are Wheelchair-accessible.

My parents were 'upgraded' to this cabin a few days before sailing one time. I guess no one 'needed' the benefit of this cabin. They said it was very spacious, and a great sized balcony. Note: the shower is also different, bigger, to allow a wheelchair to roll in with a big curtain pulled around.

Do your parents have any pictures? We are considering changing our cruise we have booked on Carnival to Alaska next June to Princess if the pricing ever comes out.

Please take pictures and let us know how your cruise to Alaska goes when you get back.

Thanks.

Archived