Post a Picture of Your Dress (Part 2)

CC Help Jenn

Yes, I'm a bit confused about that myself. I see many fabulous formal gowns posted here...but on the Royal Caribbean cruise I went on, I didn't see one single long dress. Not a one. (Perhaps there were a few ladies in formal gowns somewhere else on the ship, but I didn't see any on my side of the dining room.)

I almost got the impression that cruising is MUCH more casual than it ever used to be. At the regular dinners, there were few women in a dress besides myself. And at the formal dinner, it was definitely NOT formal attire... rather, just nice-looking attire. Most men wore some type of coat or jacket but took it off to eat. I didn't see a single tux.

And outside of the dining room, I never saw anybody wearing anything fancy. It was completely, utterly casual.

On one hand, it was a big relief: I won't feel nearly as much pressure when packing for my next cruise. On the other hand, the casualness was a big disappointment: I had psyched myself up for being around some very fancy elegant people, but ended up realizing that everybody was mostly plain just like me :)

That's how it was on the Allure 2 weeks ago, but I figured that was because it was such a big ship and there were so many places to go to not dress up. We didn't have traditional dining, so I didn't notice what people were wearing in the MDR.

Check out Dillards.com today. They have 50% off clearance dresses (discount price automatically appears) and there are lots of cocktail dresses for about $30, and long dresses too. It's today only, in stores until 7 and online maybe longer. I'm too busy to shop today but could do some major damage, lol!

Yes, I'm a bit confused about that myself. I see many fabulous formal gowns posted here...but on the Royal Caribbean cruise I went on, I didn't see one single long dress. Not a one. (Perhaps there were a few ladies in formal gowns somewhere else on the ship, but I didn't see any on my side of the dining room.)

I almost got the impression that cruising is MUCH more casual than it ever used to be. At the regular dinners, there were few women in a dress besides myself. And at the formal dinner, it was definitely NOT formal attire... rather, just nice-looking attire. Most men wore some type of coat or jacket but took it off to eat. I didn't see a single tux.

And outside of the dining room, I never saw anybody wearing anything fancy. It was completely, utterly casual.

On one hand, it was a big relief: I won't feel nearly as much pressure when packing for my next cruise. On the other hand, the casualness was a big disappointment: I had psyched myself up for being around some very fancy elegant people, but ended up realizing that everybody was mostly plain just like me :)

This was how I felt when we went on our first Disney cruise in 1998. They didn't have formal nights on that ship, but their suggestions were to dress nicely for dinner, slacks, collared shirts for men, short dresses or nice slacks with tops for the ladies. I was shocked at how casual people were dressed.

It was a big lesson for me. Not that I want to step down a notch out of my personal comfort zone, I just can't be so casual about my appearance. My next 23 cruises I haven't worried quite so much about what others think or feel about my clothing, hair or makeup. I prefer looking dressed for the occasion regardless of how casual others around me may be. I'm not comfortable wearing out in public the clothing I might lounge around the house in, or do housework while wearing.

Formal nights are a different story. After our first Disney cruise we went on a number of other lines that did have formal nights...and they were very formal. The argument on CC used to be tux vs. suit and now the question is "can I get by without a jacket or tie?". Women used to dress up in gowns, fortunately many of them started wearing cocktail length dresses (my preference) and then the downward trend to slacks with a sparkly top.

Our next cruise, we're foregoing formal altogether and eating in the specialty restaurants those nights. I'll take a LBD, my husband will wear a pair of slacks and a long sleeved shirt. I'll bet we'll fit right in with the "formal" dressed folks.

I constantly see threads here on Fashion/Beauty where women go out and purchase new wardrobes of "cruise clothes" and worry over every detail of clothing. It possessed me the first time around, only to find out I was in the minority. All those "cruise clothes" found their way into the Goodwill bag a few years later...by the time I was going on another cruise with the same type of weather, the clothes were out of style (not to mention too garish for my taste).

Edited by Happy ks

This was how I felt when we went on our first Disney cruise in 1998. They didn't have formal nights on that ship, but their suggestions were to dress nicely for dinner, slacks, collared shirts for men, short dresses or nice slacks with tops for the ladies. I was shocked at how casual people were dressed.

It was a big lesson for me. Not that I want to step down a notch out of my personal comfort zone, I just can't be so casual about my appearance. My next 23 cruises I haven't worried quite so much about what others think or feel about my clothing, hair or makeup. I prefer looking dressed for the occasion regardless of how casual others around me may be. I'm not comfortable wearing out in public the clothing I might lounge around the house in, or do housework while wearing.

Formal nights are a different story. After our first Disney cruise we went on a number of other lines that did have formal nights...and they were very formal. The argument on CC used to be tux vs. suit and now the question is "can I get by without a jacket or tie?". Women used to dress up in gowns, fortunately many of them started wearing cocktail length dresses (my preference) and then the downward trend to slacks with a sparkly top.

Our next cruise, we're foregoing formal altogether and eating in the specialty restaurants those nights. I'll take a LBD, my husband will wear a pair of slacks and a long sleeved shirt. I'll bet we'll fit right in with the "formal" dressed folks.

I constantly see threads here on Fashion/Beauty where women go out and purchase new wardrobes of "cruise clothes" and worry over every detail of clothing. It possessed me the first time around, only to find out I was in the minority. All those "cruise clothes" found their way into the Goodwill bag a few years later...by the time I was going on another cruise with the same type of weather, the clothes were out of style (not to mention too garish for my taste).

I think we all have different perspectives. One of the reasons I started to shop for clothing a year ahead is to to take my time, and buy things that I would wear for more than just cruises. I very much enjoy formal nights and dressing up.

Maybe the solution is like we are doing...you have chosen not to dress up, and opt to use specialty dining. I like to dress up and use the main dining room. You're happy, and I'm happy!

I'm actually wearing a silver necklace with long silver earrings. The picture is from too far away to tell. This picture is a little better.

100_0612.jpg

I love the silver and teal together too:D:):D

I think we all have different perspectives. One of the reasons I started to shop for clothing a year ahead is to to take my time, and buy things that I would wear for more than just cruises. I very much enjoy formal nights and dressing up.

Maybe the solution is like we are doing...you have chosen not to dress up, and opt to use specialty dining. I like to dress up and use the main dining room. You're happy, and I'm happy!

I never said I didn't want to dress up. Just that it doesn't seem to me that "formal" is formal any longer. Dressed in what I would call semi formal or a simple cocktail dress, I'll be just as dressed up, or more, than other people intending to be formal. I will be able to fit right in, in my LBD, sadly enough, so could my husband in shirt sleeves, no tie.

I could dress this way every night on a cruise, I love semi formal clothing.

Formal, to me, is men in a tux, women in a long gown. You rarely see that any longer on a cruise ship formal night on main stream lines, maybe Cunard.

When I shop I like to buy nice clothes, if they happen to be great for travel, all the better. I just will never again buy clothes just for a cruise. My shopping motto is now that I've gotta love it or won't buy it. Even if the piece is on sale for a ridiculously low price. $10 spent on a piece of clothing never worn or only worn once is $10 wasted that could have been put towards a piece that a person loves and will wear again and again.

Edited by Happy ks
sp

I'm actually wearing a silver necklace with long silver earrings. The picture is from too far away to tell. This picture is a little better.

100_0612.jpg

I couldn't really see the shirt in the other pic u posted before..can see it much better in this pic..that shirt looks totally cute! luv it:)

$(KGrHqZHJCwFCd-SQnYsBQy1Ns5kHw~~60_57.JPG

Bid on this dress on ebay....figure it's plenty "formal" for formal night on Carnival(elegant night). I agree with other posters here about people not really dressing up for"formal" nights anymore. I think it's just the way society is these days...kind of a bummer...I look forward to dressing up on cruises..it's part of the fun

$(KGrHqZHJCwFCd-SQnYsBQy1Ns5kHw~~60_57.JPG

Bid on this dress on ebay....figure it's plenty "formal" for formal night on Carnival(elegant night). I agree with other posters here about people not really dressing up for"formal" nights anymore. I think it's just the way society is these days...kind of a bummer...I look forward to dressing up on cruises..it's part of the fun

j

I'm with you - not alot of folks dress up anymore unfortunately, and that's half the fun! - I hope you win the bid on this dress, it's beautiful! I don't like red on me, but I find it stunning on others!! Good Luck!

100_0612.jpg

This is a MUCH better picture than the other one I saw - you did a GREAT job putting this together - I love love love this on you!!

These aren't super dressy, but I was pretty excited about the deal I got on them. I just picked both of these up at Maurices for $10 a piece!

pMAUR1-12838377v275.jpg

pMAUR1-13148778v275.jpg

I also picked up four other casual dresses to wear during the day time. My total was $45 for all 6 dresses!! Woo hoo!!

Edited by kellane

These aren't super dressy, but I was pretty excited about the deal I got on them. I just picked both of these up at Maurices for $10 a piece!

pMAUR1-12838377v275.jpg

pMAUR1-13148778v275.jpg

I also picked up four other casual dresses to wear during the day time. My total was $45 for all 6 dresses!! Woo hoo!!

Wow what a bargain and theyre both really nice:)

pMAUR1-12838377v275.jpg

I've never been to Maurice's, but one of my co-workers gets some really cute stuff there! I love the purple/black one - and you can't beat the prices!!

The link's work - they are both beautiful - get em!!

The long one (black/ivory) has a beautiful neckline in both front and back. It was my favorite... very classy and elegant. The all-black dress looked a little "blocky" to me, but it probably fits each individual differently, so it's hard to say until you actually try it on.

I seem to be about 50/50% luck-wise with online purchasing. Sometimes they look great on, and other times they're real stinkers. I usually purchase off ebay and can't return them, so then I'm stuck.

ry%3D400

a simple cotton black dress (~$15 from h&m) that i wore a few times on our cruise. in this picture, we were heading to a champagne art auction. i also wore it to the meet & greet. and a few times as a cover up to the pool. love this dress!

ry%3D400

a simple cotton black dress (~$15 from h&m) that i wore a few times on our cruise. in this picture, we were heading to a champagne art auction. i also wore it to the meet & greet. and a few times as a cover up to the pool. love this dress!

super cute..looks great on you!