How late are things open?

Casey2

On our Sept. 17 Radiance of the Seas cruise we will be in Juneau until 9 PM, Skagway until 7:45 and Ketchikan 8 pm. We don't arrive in Juneau and Ketchikan until 12 and 1:00. Are stores and attractions in these ports open that late or do they all close at 5? We are afraid that if we do one tour we don't get to see the town. Since it gets dark at around 7:00, is it safe to walk around after dark?

Hi,Cruised to Alaska twice. As long as there are ships in port most everything will stay open in town close to the dock. It appeared to me that we were very safe. We went in May & Aug. Both times it was daylight way after 9 P.M. Have a wonderful cruise.

I agree with Windermere. Most things are open while ships are in port. The port area is safe even at night. These towns "live for" cruise tourists so they keep things fun and safe. The sun will be setting about 6:15 PM in Juneau mid-September/2005. Plus keep in mind that you want to be ON BOARD before the departure time. Have a great trip!

In Anchorage I noticed that the stores catering to tourists stayed open until 11 PM or midnite.

In Juneau, the further down the street you got away away from the dock, the more of a "seedier" element the bars seemed to attract. I was by myself (we got into Juneau late because of a mechanical problem) and headed back to the ship when I found myself feeling uncomfortable after dark. This was in May when it gets dark earlier.

Just use street sense the same as you would in any city.

Roz

Thanks for you help. DH and I really enjoy walking around town and I was afraid that we weren't going to have much time for it after our excursions. I wish we had more time in some of the ports, there is so much to see and not enough time fore everything we want to do.

Archived