Cabs at the curb

tweety33

I know they have cabs lined up once you step outside the gate, & we are considering just winging it & grabbing one of them, to tour us around the island to see the sights, since we don't want to pre-book any this time. We don't want to swim at the beach & we don't want to stop for lunch.

I assume it is safe to hire one of them cabs?

Not sure of the price, I thought I heard it is around $25 per person for 2-3 hrs? Anyone done this who would like to share there experience?

Those prices are really out of date, we paid at least 20% more. But you can walk out of the terminal, continue 100 yards and flag one down and it is cheaper as it seems they can charge a superior price by waiting in line for the passengers at the terminal. Always ask for their price scale sheet!

Thank you for the price list.

I am more interesting in hiring them for an island tour rather than just to a destination. I know most places you can negotiate a fee with them for a tour, like $25 each for 3 hours. Has anyone done that in Cozumel?

Those prices are really out of date, we paid at least 20% more. But you can walk out of the terminal, continue 100 yards and flag one down and it is cheaper as it seems they can charge a superior price by waiting in line for the passengers at the terminal. Always ask for their price scale sheet!

We heard that also from tripadvisor.com. It seems that if you walk a little bit away from the port and then flag a cab you will get a better price. The ones that are waiting on you over charge bc they know that if you turn them down there is a group right behind you that is oblivious and will pay it.

Thank you for the price list.

I am more interesting in hiring them for an island tour rather than just to a destination. I know most places you can negotiate a fee with them for a tour, like $25 each for 3 hours. Has anyone done that in Cozumel?

Not sure I would hire a cab in CZM for a tour of the island unless 1) you speak Spanish 2) the driver is willing to exchange information 3) the driver is knowledgeable about CZM. A tour might be better for this.

Another thing is that if you stay on the roadway, you will not see much of the beach areas.

Cozumel Bar Hop is an alternative since they take you across the island.

One issue we had the last time we took a cab in CZM from the port is that they tried to pile in other people in the cab with us. They then charge double the fare and you have to go out of your way to drop off others unless you are the first one to get off. Not only did we refuse this and stepped out of the cab but we also reported it. Beware of this practice, it is illegal for them to use cabs as though they are shuttles. This happened with 2 different vans. We had booked Nachi Cocom for the day and were not interested in driving around dropping off others after paying the price of a private cab.

Current prices are posted by the taxi staging areas at the port.

Archived