fear of snorkeling

Gunther1

Everybody has a fear of the worst way to die....mine is drowning.

I tried snorkeling once a few years ago and couldn't do it....I panicked each time I tried to lower my face into the water (I can swim fairly well).

The thought of trying to breathe while under water is probably what caused the panic.

Any hints for a first-timer on how to ease this panic ?

I tried snorkeling once a few years ago and couldn't do it....I panicked each time I tried to lower my face into the water (I can swim fairly well).

The thought of trying to breathe while under water is probably what caused the panic.

How about trying it in shallow water in a pool?

DON

My friend has bought an inflatable snorkle board for our Caribbean cruise in Dec. It has a viewing window that is magnified, not sure how this will work for her but the reviews on Amazon were favorable.

I will post about this when we return.

Also have you worn an inflatable vest while doing "practice"?

Practice putting just your face in the sink, with a mask and snorkel on, without having your whole body in the water. Breathing through a snorkel is not immediately a natural-feeling experience, so some practice can really help. Close your eyes, listen to your breathing, imagine you are meditating and focus on relaxing.

Most dive companies will have inflatable snorkel vests for you to use if you choose to. They provide plenty of bouyancy, plus the salt in the ocean makes you more bouyant too. The natural bouyancy of salt water is enhanced if you spread out on the surface of the water and relax. Practice floating on your back and experience the bouyancy that way first before you flip over and try it face down. It really is peaceful.

Most novice snorkelers expend way too much energy "swimming" to stay afloat. The calmer you are in the water the easier it is to float and the less likely you are to scare away the fish.

With a little practice I hope you can overcome your fear and get in touch with your inner fish :) The sea is full of beautiful things to see.

Practice putting just your face in the sink, with a mask and snorkel on

Agree. I had to practice some breathing for scuba certification and I just used a large mixing bowl filled with water. :) You could also try it in a bathtub.

You didn't say in your initial post if that first time was from a boat, but if so, try it from a beach first, where you can just walk in.

I agree that the best place to learn/practice is in a pool. The water is calm and fresh. Getting used to breathing under water can take some practice especially if you get water in the snorkel. As you get practiced try short dives and clearing the snorkel of water. It will come with patience.

Happy snorkeling.

I love to snorkel, but the first time I was shocked at how claustrophobic I felt the first time I put my face in the water. I told myself to relax and just float around. After a while, that worked for me. Now when I snorkel, I always remind myself to relax and float, which relieves any tension. The key for me is to relax my body and remember to breath.

I agree that practicing in a pool or a "walk-in" snorkel location is a good idea.

Practice in safer more calm enviroment, bathub :D, local pool etc.

Phobias are sometimes hard things to beat. No different than fear of tight spaces, heights etc. Sometimes lots of exposure will help, sometimes not.

In the end its all about controlling one's mind and irrational or reactionary subconcious responses, some can, some never can.

My daughter just couldn't do it, I don't think at age of 10 she understood what was it that bothered her. She loves swimming can dive, the act of breathing while submerged was just to odd a concept to overcome. She still had a good time in the water looking thru a modified kick board. Check they might have that on your excursion.

Good luck as snorkeling is good fun.

875.jpg.b95cc6571935fe7a17ae5ab45c43b32b.jpg

I agree with everyone else...if you can practice in a pool, do so. It's a weird feeling learning to breath with the snorkel tube and using your mouth only. It takes some getting use to do.

Just remember that you have more buoyancy in salt water, which helps a lot. Make sure that you rent a snorkeling vest, which helps tremendously as well. Then you can just pretty much float and enjoy it.

Also, if you are going to a port that you can visit a beach where you just walk out into the ocean from the beach and there is coral there, it's the best way (and most convenient way to start snorkeling). There are so many places like that and you will be amazed at just how far you can go out and still stand up or only be in around 5-6 feet of water even though you are WAY out. The beauty of sea life surrounding you is so peaceful and exciting. :)

Archived