Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

Bruin Steve; Mark_T;

thanks for quick reply,

anybody else ?, pls chime in..

any canucks?

i am told that Toronto Chinese visa application service (visa provider ..)

needs "hotel confirmation" and "airline ticket confirmation"

i just can not get it thru viking TA heads...they keep suggesting i go thru us viking visa provider!?

whaaaaat is "hotel confirmation" and "airline ticket confirmation" ??

oceanbreeze

i just can not get it thru viking TA heads...they keep suggesting i go thru us viking visa provider!?

Pretty much any nationality needs those for a Chinese Visa.

Your documentation from Viking should have the hotel and flight details on it, that should be all they need.

They will be looking for the specific itinerary details in your Viking documentation so it will need to show where you are each day, which hotel and the incoming and departing flight numbers and times/dates.

You should have all of that by the time you need to apply for the visa, if not, that is what you need to get from Viking.

We arrive in Shanghai, on May 15, 2015 at 3:15 pm afternoon and transfer to hotel Ritz-Carlton financial district. Meals are on our own. Any suggestions where to eat and what to do for rest of the day (after 14 hr flight) We were at the Shangri La, but I do not know where that was in relation to your hotel. In our case there was a Chinese mall across the street with very reasonably priced restaurants. No English spoken, just had to point at the pictures on the menu.

Day 4| Yueyang, any option to visit of an elementary school?? (I really, really need to spend some time away from any elementary school…) Honest, it is a worthwhile visit to a classroom there. A good chance to see a school with a totally different culture of learning that what you have at home.

Day 5 | Any options to Three Gorges Dam? (I do not visit dams back home…) No matter what you did not visit back home, this is well worth seeing. It is one of the major engineering projects of the last 100 years.

Day 8 | Chongqing, How long is a “ brief tour” of Chongqing Zoo? is there enough time to see giant pandas? When we did the tour there was plenty of time to see the pandas which is the main reason for the visit. In our case, our guide "bribed" the keeper to get a male Panda (named "Mr. Lucky" as he was the only male panda) awake and active and outside. There were also some female pandas to see. We also had time to see a number of other animals as well as an art studio on the zoo grounds.

[/font]

See my comments in red

Edited by caribill

With my free time in Beijing I want to visit the Silk Market and/or Pearl Market (walking distance from the Kerry Hotel) and Wangfuying Street which is a pedestrian area with flea markets, street vendors. Should be an interesting place to see where locals go; I believe it's lit up at night.

In Xian I hope to visit the Muslim Market and the Drum Tower--also walking distance from the hotel.

In Shanghai most likely walk the bund in the evening and visit the Yuyuan Bazaar.

It's my understanding that meals are included except for the first night when you are on your own. I will probably opt to eat at the hotel after the long flight and rest up for the first day of touring.

Trip Advisor is a great source of information for things/places to see and visit.

Gilda

It's my understanding that meals are included except for the first night when you are on your own. I will probably opt to eat at the hotel after the long flight and rest up for the first day of touring.

If there are alternatives near your hotel, your wallet will be better off. The hotels used by Viking are 4* and 5* and their meals are priced accordingly.

Bruin Steve; Mark_T;

thanks for quick reply,

any canucks?

oceanbreeze

Hi -

Your booking confirmation should have the hotel detail required for your Visa. We booked our own air, so will just need to provide that info when we apply. If you booked air through Viking, your confirmation should have that information as well.

When we went to Russia, we did not use the Visa company recommended by the company (we went with Uniworld for that trip). Instead, we went through Visacenter.ca - as they have an office in Markham, and my friend picked our passports up for us at the office when they were ready. I believe they also have an office in Toronto - so you might want to look into that option.

We don't leave until October, so are not planning on getting our visa until after we return from our Elbe cruise in June.

The only meals we are expecting to do on our own is dinner on the day we arrive, and lunch the day we leave (our flight doesn't leave until 5 pm). As we did not book Viking air, airport transfers are not included - but will most likely purchase transfers from Viking when we arrive. Given our late departure time, I am thinking we will check out of our hotel and do some extra sight seeing in Shanghai before we go to the airport.

The Great Wall and Terra Cotta Warriors are both "bucket list" items for me... REALLY looking forward to this trip. I have a bit longer to wait than you do before I go. Enjoy!!

Fran

You should be able to click on the Viking link to the visa application. Go to "My Trip." When I clicked on it a lot of it was pre-filled in, hotels, flights etc. I used a TA, but the link was from Viking. I'm going 6/13-6/27. Hopefully will get pics for the visa this week, and send the application w/passport off. On Spring Break now, so this is the only time I have to tie up the lose ends!

I am a middle school teacher and the LAST thing I want to do is visit a school and bring supplies! I do that all year long.

As far as the downtime goes, you will meet lots of nice people on the ship. They will be in the same situation. Just hang out, relax, and have some conversation! Believe me, you will welcome the break! Also, I just checked the Viking cruise itinerary and B/L/D is included except for the first and last day. If you do the extension, I think the idea is to have some time on your own to explore, and just have your hotels and connections arranged.

Don't STRESS! You will have a great time, see fantastic places, and meet nice people. It's not that scary to ask for restaurant recommendations :) You may enjoy something after 2 wks. of the trip regimen!

I am a middle school teacher and the LAST thing I want to do is visit a school and bring supplies! I do that all year long.

We had quite a few educators on our trip (including my wife) several expressed similar reservations, but after the visit all said they were glad they had gone anyway.

Re the supplies, as I've mentioned before, a cash donation is generally more useful to the school and easier on your preparations so don't feel obliged to take stuff with you.

..I am a middle school teacher and the LAST thing I want to do is visit a school and bring supplies! I do that all year long. ....Don't STRESS! You will have a great time,

finally someone who knows how I feel! ....I spent all my adult life with school children. Lately it is not what it used to be...

thank you so much for all advise/encouragement..

as I said, we cruise a lot with ocean cruises, mostly with Oceania and they take care of everything..(and charge accordingly :D hahaha..)

this is our first river cruise and it was overwhelming in the beginning...

this forum is fantastic! most of my questions are answered.

here are some more:

I have 200 ship board credit. I am Canadian what is 200 currency? U$ CAD$ Yuan?? What can I spend it on ship for?

Any advise/personal experience with "Viking organized Duck dinner" vs Da Dong (proprietor Dong Zhenxiang..) Jingzun Peking Duck, BSK (Black Sesame Kitchen) etc . I do not mid to pay $$ for authentic experience and compare to Toronto's Chinatown-duck-restaurants claims to fame..

any advise on Viking's optional "summer palace" and "Tang dynasty" ??

is it worthwhile to hail a taxi to see "water-cube" and "bids nest" (stadium..) at nite??

Anyone experienced the "Fangshan" or "Tingliguan" (you can tell, I am foodie.;))

anyone experienced Dragon boat ride, yuan gardens, mount Jiuhua, 1000 Buddha temple, or sampan ride?

thank you so much for chiming in

oceanbreeze

I have 200 ship board credit. I am Canadian what is 200 currency? U$ CAD$ Yuan?? What can I spend it on ship for?

Spending it on the ship is not a problem as there are shops on each deck covering everything from tea to custom tailoring, art work, glass painting, traditional seals and more.

As to the currency, ask whoever is providing it, it shouldn't be Yuan I would hope though :)

Any advise/personal experience with "Viking organized Duck dinner" vs Da Dong (proprietor Dong Zhenxiang..) Jingzun Peking Duck, BSK (Black Sesame Kitchen) etc . I do not mid to pay $$ for authentic experience and compare to Toronto's Chinatown-duck-restaurants claims to fame..

We avoided the organized duck dinner and went to BSK that evening. We made our own reservations at the restaurant attached to the Kerry Hotel in Beijing which has its own traditional duck menu.

The duck should be completely different to anything you have had in Canada, it was certainly a world away from anything we had experienced elsewhere. Those who went to the official duck event said they enjoyed it, but it sounded like we got more to eat for less cost by doing our own thing.

Do note though that you do need to book in advance for the duck restaurants to reserve a duck.

BSK was another experience we would definitely not have wanted to miss. It was both an adventure it itself to get there and I mean that in a good way as it immersed us in the local culture without the barrier of a guide and we were both welcomed and felt safe at all times while winding our way through narrow back streets in Beijing. The meal itself was indescribably good both for the food and the chance to meet others not on our tour who were eating there. Mostly ex-pats and all with great stories to tell.

any advise on Viking's optional "summer palace" and "Tang dynasty" ??

We did both of these.

If the weather is good then the Summer Palace is as good a way to spend the afternoon as any other. A gentle stroll around the gardens and a chance to hear your guide talk more about the history around the ending of the Imperial rule.

The Tang Dynasty show was a colorful costume event with enough history, dance and music to entertain. The food was adequate but probably not the best meal you will have while in China. Not bad, just not special.

We went to BSK (Black Sesame Kitchen) two years ago and it was the best meal we had in China. The food, service and people we met and dined with were all fantastic. By all means book way in advance (months). Leave yourself time to find the restaurant. It is through an unmarked door and turn left as I remember. I've never heard anything good about the Peking Duck Dinner with Viking River.

here are some more:

I have 200 ship board credit. I am Canadian what is 200 currency? U$ CAD$ Yuan?? My guess is US$, but best to check with Viking to be sure.

What can I spend it on ship for? The optional excursions (such as the Summer Palace, Tang Dynasty) were added to our onboard account and our ship board credit was applied towards those.

any advise on Viking's optional "summer palace" take it, a good experience) and "Tang dynasty" ?? (We enjoyed the show very much. Dinner is much like several other Chinese dinners along the way.

is it worthwhile to hail a taxi to see "water-cube" and "birds nest" (stadium..) at nite?? Not in my opinion. Hardly worth seeing in daytime. On our trip, the Viking bus that day drove past them on the way back to the hotel in daylight.

anyone experienced Dragon boat ride was part of our Summer Palace experience, yuan gardens, was part of our Shanghai tour with Viking mount Jiuhua, 1000 Buddha temple, or sampan ride?

oceanbreeze

see my comments in red

Edited by caribill

Oceanbreeze,

We used the Viking visa service because the application was partly filled in and it took exactly as long as they stated it would.

We arrived in Beijing yesterday evening after an easy flight on Korean Airlines which gave us each three seats so we could rest comfortably.

This morning we went to Tianenmen Square first thing and then spent most of our time in the Forbidden City. Tonight is the optional opera or dinner at the hotel. Most of us are just catching up to the time difference.

Enjoy the planning!

Edited by Going Coastal

here are some more:

This is one of those questions that is best asked of the one issuing the OBC. Each deal is different. Anyone here would only be guessing.

anyone experienced Dragon boat ride, yuan gardens, mount Jiuhua, 1000 Buddha temple, or sampan ride?

oceanbreeze

Are you sure you mean Mount Jiuhua? It is a two day sail up the river from Nanjing and a couple of hundred miles from Shanghai and is only visited on the Cultural Delights itinerary. If you are interested, we visited there on our 2010 trip and it is covered in the blog I wrote (see the link in my signature below)

IMHO, don't over schedule the trip. You will want rest when you first arrive because the next two days you will be on the go all day long and the 12 hour time difference can really knock you for a loop.

[/url]

Edited by Peregrina651

The dam site has lovely views, there are interesting sculptures and murals and a small market. The school visit is quite short with the kids performing. Don't take stuff, if you wish you can make a cash donation. There is a huge difference between our schools and theirs! As a teacher you will be thankful for your stateside job. In Beijing we stayed at the Kerry and took the subway from there to the summer palace which is really a very large park with a lake, temples and shops. We appreciated our free time since this is a very active tour with lots of walking.

"free time" is a euphemism for shopping opportunity, or just sitting and having a cup of tea. Enjoy your visit.

We are on the April 7 Viking Imperial Jewels of China, arriving in Beijing on April 7. We would like to have dinner at BSK but their normal dinners are only on Tuesday & Friday. We arrive after an overnight flight on Tuesday(the 7th) and will be gone by Friday. I have contacted Coco at BSK and they will do the same dinner on Wednesday, the 8th, or Thursday, the 9th, if they have 8 people or more signed up. We would like to do the dinner on Wednesday, the 8th and are interested in finding 6 or more people on the same tour to join us. If you are interested please post here on cruise critic and lets see if we can get enough interest. We are Dick & Claudia from Northern California.

I hope you find the others you need and for anyone reading this who is unsure, just go ahead and do it. Going to Beijing and not eating at BSK if you have the chance would be a great shame.

It was one of the highlights of out tour and definitely not to be missed.

We are on the April 7 Viking Imperial Jewels of China, arriving in Beijing on April 7. We would like to have dinner at BSK

Dick;

We are on May 15 viking and also would like to partake at duck fest..

would you be so kind and share how did you make reservation and actually received confirmation from BSK?

also, at what time is the dinner?

what is the menu? (all them trimming, side dishes etc?)

what is the cost for two people? do they take U$ cash? credit card?

how is the seating? (How many people do we join at a table?)

I e-mailed BSK with request/questions twice so far , no reply..

kindest regards

oceanbreeze

Most of your questions have previously been answered by prior posts. Dinner is at 7pm, cost is 300 Yuan, cash only-Iassume only Yuan. Menu is many courses selected by BSK, not only and maybe no duck. Not sure about seating but I guess first there get seats in Kitchen. We e-mailed and received prompt replys.

Not sure about seating but I guess first there get seats in Kitchen. We e-mailed and received prompt replys.

They don't do the kitchen seating since they moved out of their previous place.

Seating is at one of two large tables with about 8-10 people on each table.

Food is served family style.

The menu will vary, I posted one earlier in this thread, but this is very definitely not a 'duck' restaurant.

Peregrina, Not sure how to do it, but can you add the Viking Emerald Imperial Jewels of China August 15, 2015 thread?

Hoping to get to know more people that may be going during that one.

General 2015 Roll Call

April 7 Jewels

April 17 Jewels

April 28 Jewels

May 17 Jewels

June 24 Jewels

July 3 – Roof Tibet

August 15 - Jewels

September 12 - Roof/Tibet

Also, check in on the General Roll call to see if anyone is traveling on August 15.

Bruin Steve; Mark_T;

thanks for quick reply,

any canucks?

oceanbreeze

Dear Oceanbreeze

Just returned from first Viking cruise. On our tour they announced that due to airline re scheduling, the group would be spending more time in Guilin and less in Hk. People were upset. Basically all they had was 1 day in HK.

Just an FYI

On a positive note , the regular tour was ok logistically and the ground hotels fabulous. The Riverboat which Viking leases due to Chinese laws, needs some updating. We and alot of others found the bedding deficient(thin mattresses, like rocks) but these were the nitpicks

We had the same experience Viking on the Guilin/Hong Kong extension. We ere told due to flight schedules... Another night in Guilin... One less night in Hong Kong.... The real problem is that we did not fly into Hong Kong, but to a neighboring huge city, then crossed the border on foot and drove into Hong Kong, which burned precious time that we had paid a pretty penny for. Then they took us to their jewelery factory and by then we were pooped and many were more than slightly grumpy. Really, they know of this re schedule for the planes, and their extension should be sold as such.