Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

Don't miss the massages, or the crew shows...you won't spend much time in you room...OH be sure to get a international (china) package for you phone...so you don't have a huge bill when you get back...you can get a data package too. It might seem expensive but it saved me a lot of money...One of my friends forgot once and got $8000 bill. Mine was closer to $200 and one of the people on my tour borrowed my phone to call her husband (that was $50 of the $200)...The airports will be tiring but the same everywhere...the food on the planes kinda of icky (in China)...But, they feed you so much you won't notice...all the drinks will be kinda of warm if you are from America, kinda like Europe...Just relax and have fun....

Take comfort shoes...lots of walking...we only had really bad smog two days (one at Three Gorges Dam and one on the day we arrived in Beijing) Definitely layer and take knits that don't wrinkle. We used laundries at Hotels and ship and they did a great job (experienced no shrinkage but they aren't cheap at the hotels)...Don't miss tailor on board...or the pearls... the tea ceremony is great. Try the yogurt on the Emerald super good and homemade...Everyone is so wonderful on the trip..One person recommended, small ziplocs with the ends of Toilet paper roll in each one...seemed like good advice but didn't take it...but small Kleenex pacs to go are really good advice. Almost everyone on our bus got a cold at one time or another...who knew Kleenex would be important...Throw some cough drops in your suitcase (in case) they have some in airport (ricola-but no hall's)...We took cipro, Tylenol, some bandaids, don't take purell in your carryon (because Chinese customs doesn't allow very much liquid-better to take wipes)...

Got notification of Fedex shipment on the 25th, docs came today. My wife is finally getting excitied (I have been excited for a year or more). Leave on the 14th of November for our trip starting on the 17th, woo hoo!!:D

Have a great cruise, I went on the Imperial Jewels of China also and loved it.

I received my documents today also for the Viking Rhine Getaway cruise on Nov 17th.

I was born in Winnipeg and have a lot of family back there but I am out on the West coast now.

Immodium, hand wipes, and cold meds are my top recommendations!!! I just returned 2 weeks ago and this was just the most wonderful trip. Laundry on the ship was great and seemed reasonably priced. Leave anything you absolutely don't "have to have" at home. Think comfort, especially for shoes. Drink lots of water and stay hydrated. The hotels and Viking will give you more bottled water, just call for it.

Enjoy your trip!!!!!!!!!

This will probably sound silly, but we made a point of eating a good breakfast every morning (Viking will make this very easy to do, believe me :))...you are going to burn calories like crazy with the walking that you will do, especially in Beijing, and lunch might not always occur when you would like it to. My husband is a cup of tea and a piece of dry toast for breakfast kind of guy at home but he chowed down every morning just so he could keep going. And he did not gain a pound.

I am looking at booking oct 2014. Are there activities on board the Emerald while river cruising? For instance, a tai chi class or history class?

There is a morning tai chi exercise session out on deck.

There are lectures and historical films.

There is also some traditional Chinese entertainment by the crew.

Got notification of Fedex shipment on the 25th, docs came today. My wife is finally getting excitied (I have been excited for a year or more). Leave on the 14th of November for our trip starting on the 17th, woo hoo!!:D

Hi to those on the Nov. 17th trip. We have not received our package yet so we may be calling G&L in Winnipeg for info. We are from London On. and we will also be arriving in Shanghai on the 15th, (after five days in Hong-Kong) staying at the Central Hotel until the tour starts for us at the Shangri-La. Information package now looks like it won't arrive until just before we leave so would appreciate a "heads-up" if there is anything we should particularly know prior to departure.

Hi to those on the Nov. 17th trip. We have not received our package yet so we may be calling G&L in Winnipeg for info. We are from London On. and we will also be arriving in Shanghai on the 15th, (after five days in Hong-Kong) staying at the Central Hotel until the tour starts for us at the Shangri-La. Information package now looks like it won't arrive until just before we leave so would appreciate a "heads-up" if there is anything we should particularly know prior to departure.

Time to call Viking and find out where your travel docs are! If you booked through a travel agent, then call your agent immediately. Ask if he has received your docs and if he hasn't have him call Viking immediately. Do not let him wait another day to see if you docs arrive. If you booked through a TA, the TA has to make the call.

If you place the call, Viking should be able to tell you when those documents were shipped and to where.

In any event, Viking should be able to provide you with a PDF version of the information booklet so that at least you will have the needed contact numbers and information that you will need/want prior to leaving home.

Finally, if you don't get any action from your TA or your call to Viking, e-mail the "tell us" address that Viking has posted here in response to other posts.

Edited by Peregrina651

Hi Lene1,

Did you book direct with Viking or through a TA? We booked direct and thus they send the docs to us via Fedex. We received the email from Fedex regarding the shipment and tracking info. If you booked through a TA, the docs are fedexed to them (if they are in Canada). Not sure what happens if you use a US TA and you are from CDA? I would start making calls....

The package does not have anything you can't live without, plastic name tags and lanyards, leather luggage tags (nice!), sorta customized itinery books that confirm hotels, book on where we stop, paper tags for luggage, neoprene half size portfolio to store everything in, stickers for bags. There was no "you have to have this to board the ship" type of stuff.

Still, it was nice to get it when it was expected, so I sympathise....

Greg

Edited by G&L in WPG
needed to add 2nd paragraph....

Thanks for the responses to our package query. We now find that after four days the package has reached New York so we are now expecting it mid-next week. It's good to know no disaster awaits by not receiving it!

We can now concentrate on issues relating to what clothing we take. Seems as though things are pretty casual with "casual-smart" being the top end requirement. Does this make sense?

Look forward to meeting you all.

Tony and Lene London ON

I'm more concerned about comfort and warmth rather than fashion and style. Tough time of year to pack for with the many different cities we will be visiting. Sort of like travelling between New Orleans and Chicago in late November, might be hot, might be really cold. Do I bring the the Mnaitoba resident winter coat or not?

We can now concentrate on issues relating to what clothing we take. Seems as though things are pretty casual with "casual-smart" being the top end requirement. Does this make sense?

Look forward to meeting you all.

Tony and Lene London ON

For sure, you don't need anything fancier than "smart casual" but for the most part, comfortable, warm and easy to travel with (i.e., packs nicely and doesn't need any special care) should be what you are thinking about.

Most important will be comfortable shoes that will keep your feet warm and dry and that you can walk in all day long.

I am going on the Imperial Jewels cruise in May 2014. The cruise is during May Day, and Chinese workers are given from May 1 until May 4 (Thursday to Sunday) as vacation days. But I've heard that many workers will also take three additional days, to have a full week's vacation. I know that Golden Week in October had a negative impact on cruisers' sightseeing, so I'm wondering whether anyone knows whether there are large numbers of Chinese people traveling/sightseeing for the entire week, and also whether anyone, particularly people who have done the cruise over May Day in past years, experienced any problems.

The Beijing to Shanghai itinerary would put us in Beijing and Xian during the May Day week, (flying from Beijing to Xian on May 1), while the Shanghai to Beijing direction puts us on the river for virtually the entire week (board ship on Monday, disembark on Saturday for flight to Xian).

My window of opportunity for switching the cruise date/direction is rapidly closing, so I would appreciate any information you can provide. BTW, if crowds were not an issue, my preference would be the Beijing to Shanghai route.

OMG, Change if you can...Be on the boat during the Holiday. My Husband noticed that we were going during the National Holiday...He made sure we were going from Shanghai to Beijing (which meant we were on the boat 7 of the 6 days of the Holiday)...We heard from the guides that the crowds were huge in Beijing and the Great Wall...the days we went it was so much better...We loved the cruise that way...we had a relaxing time and got to know everyone...CHANGE it if you can...if you can't be ready for the crowds...They did try to work around it by going places early ...When we flew to WU HAN to get on the Boat they opened the museum for us (even though it was the holiday) so you won't miss anything because of it...But, I told my guide that my husband had planned to be on the boat and they agreed it was the right way to go...It was wonderful.....

I am going on the Imperial Jewels cruise in May 2014. The cruise is during May Day' date=' and Chinese workers are given from May 1 until May 4 (Thursday to Sunday) as vacation days. But I've heard that many workers will also take three additional days, to have a full week's vacation. I know that Golden Week in October had a negative impact on cruisers' sightseeing, so I'm wondering whether anyone knows whether there are large numbers of Chinese people traveling/sightseeing for the entire week, and also whether anyone, particularly people who have done the cruise over May Day in past years, experienced any problems.

The Beijing to Shanghai itinerary would put us in Beijing and Xian during the May Day week, (flying from Beijing to Xian on May 1), while the Shanghai to Beijing direction puts us on the river for virtually the entire week (board ship on Monday, disembark on Saturday for flight to Xian).

My window of opportunity for switching the cruise date/direction is rapidly closing, so I would appreciate any information you can provide. BTW, if crowds were not an issue, my preference would be the Beijing to Shanghai route.[/quote']

We were at the Great Wall on May Day, 2012 and it was an experience that I'll always treasure. Our guide had us on the bus early, so the crowds were small when we first arrived. As the crowds grew, we were allowed to see and interact with Chinese who were on vacation with families. The general mood was very festive and fun. Being able to experience that day was a once in a lifetime treat. It was a positive experience and I would gladly do it again.

Cultural delights is open for booking in 2015

Seems it is offered in the worst months for china travel

March. Cold

July and August hot and rainy

That leaves November

Would I be better off doing jewels in May?

IMHO: I always knew that when I finally did travel to China with Viking that it would be on the itinerary that offered me the most days in the country, that is to say Cultural Delights. I loved the longer cruise on the river. Some folks feel that the lower river is boring; I thought it was fascinating--and very different from the upper river. Some people complain about the long bus rides on a couple of the tours but to me they were just a chance to see more of the country-- a Buddhist sanctuary, the procelain industry, a beautiful and historic pagoda and the new city of Fengdu--all things that are somewhat off the beaten path for foreign travelers in the country for the first time.

Weather is a very personal thing because it is about personal comfort--and if you aren't comfortable when traveling why do it? I don't function in the heat and so we don't travel to warm places in their warm months (if we can avoid it) and there are some cruises that I would love to do that I know I can never take simply because it will never be cool enough for me. So, you will have to make some decisions about weather and comfort.

Before you do, I invite you to read my Cultural Delights blog and check out my pictures. Hopefully, other folks who have taken Cultural Delights will post links to their reviews, blogs and/or pictures so that you can hear from folks who have "been there; done that" before you make your decision. In the meantime, read this thread. There are comments about weather and timing throughout the thread.

I am going on the Imperial Jewels cruise in May 2014. The cruise is during May Day' date=' and Chinese workers are given from May 1 until May 4 (Thursday to Sunday) as vacation days. But I've heard that many workers will also take three additional days, to have a full week's vacation. I know that Golden Week in October had a negative impact on cruisers' sightseeing, so I'm wondering whether anyone knows whether there are large numbers of Chinese people traveling/sightseeing for the entire week, and also whether anyone, particularly people who have done the cruise over May Day in past years, experienced any problems.

The Beijing to Shanghai itinerary would put us in Beijing and Xian during the May Day week, (flying from Beijing to Xian on May 1), while the Shanghai to Beijing direction puts us on the river for virtually the entire week (board ship on Monday, disembark on Saturday for flight to Xian).[/quote']

The Chinese government is trying to alleviate some of the over crowding on National Day or October 1 when the Chinese celebrate the birth of communism by promoting Labor Day(May 1) as another Golden Week but it hasn't come to fruition.

The government now limits ticket sales to 80,000 a day to the more popular tourist attractions during the first week of October, but there is no need to do it the first week of May. I am not implying that there won't be larger crowds than a typical day. Holidays and weekends are more crowded than weekdays for obvious reasons so the best planned trip for the fewest crowds would be Beijing and Xian between Monday and Thursday during a lull in their celebrations. We chose to travel to other countries when they are celebrating to experience once in a lifetime opportunities...I will never forget all the kites flying in Wuhan or the flowers at the grave sites along the river during Tomb Sweep. One of my biggest thrills was the Eiffel Tower on Bastille Day...a million people from around the world witnessing a synchronized music and fireworks display. China on display would be even more spectacular I would think.

I asked some friends that I regularly communicate with in China about their holidays and none of them regarded Labor Day as something to avoid. Almost all of them stay home during National Week because of the congestion.

Holidays work quite differently in China then what a typical westerner would expect. For instance, May 1 is a holiday and the country is given a day off, but the other two days off of the "three" day holiday are just traded for working weekends to make up the days. The country shuts down during National Week for seven days...3 of which are given, the other four are again traded days for working weekends before or after the holiday. Working weekends includes school children...kids go to school for two Saturdays and Sundays for those seven days off during National Day. In China your first grader may go to school for 10 straight days to earn that week off. On the plus side banks are open on Sundays;)

The popular tourist sites are crowded regardless...I asked our local guide in Xian in both 2009 and 2012 what their average attendance was to see the Warriors. Neither could give me a typical day, but both said on National Day people are lined up outside the building for Pit 1 and they limit attendance to 80,000.

This is ChongQing this year during the Spring Festival...the Emerald ties up on the left side of the point where the river converges. I would love to have a front row seat to witness something like this.

1NRSX4JC5K6E%25X8_ZHS8F9O-M.jpg

It sounds like the May Day holiday has some impact, but nothing like the disastrous impact that the National Day holiday has. So while it will be a factor, it won't be the dispositive factor as to which cruise date to choose. Thank you both, your information has been very helpful.

Just booked Imperial Jewels for May 17, 2015 -- the perfect time to go IMO. Itineraries were online yesterday.

Going to go early to Beijing and get a private guide to cover more ground than Viking covers. Doing the extension in Shanghai because it's "easy." We have plenty of miles for bus flights so we will do our own air.

I have received so many emails from other cruisers and I have gotten some great advice. Think I will start a very early roll call.