Wondering about TRIP INSURANCE?

max a million

GET IT !!

I was on cruise this past week and 10 MINUTES into the cruise I fell and fractured my foot requiring surgery!!

Luckily I got trip insurance. Haven't done any paperwork yet but I will tell you the insurance folks were very attentive and helped me get home the next day when I was in port.

GET IT !!

I was on cruise this past week and 10 MINUTES into the cruise I fell and fractured my foot requiring surgery!!

Luckily I got trip insurance. Haven't done any paperwork yet but I will tell you the insurance folks were very attentive and helped me get home the next day when I was in port.

I'm so sorry this happened to you! But glad you had a good experience once it did.

GET IT !!

As someone who has had Several surguries on my back and right foot due to military service, you have my empathy! I always get trip insurance no matter what! Hope you recover soon and heal cleanly. I've had to have my ankle reset twice, and it has a perm. pin holding it together to the rest of my leg.:(

I also finally got a good Podiatrist to give me my own Blestoe Brace-Boot! Talk to your doctor or PT about one! they really help!:)

Bill(DrFootball)

"Air Assault! The Ride of your LIFE, First In-LAST OUT!"

Bill's Brainiac Random Quote Generator V0.95 final beta for Mac

We now always get trip insurance after having to get off the ship AN HOUR BEFORE WE SAILED in 2006. I was not feeling well and we went to see the ship's doctor (we were never charged anything for the visit). He sent us off the ship and to the local hospital where I spent 4 days. They thought I had cardiac problems and in the end, I actually had liver cancer. We did NOT have trip insurance and never saw a penny from HAL for our missed cruise. (We had our own medical coverage so that was not a problem.)

I will never travel without trip insurance again. Hopefully I will never have to use it.

We always get down there a day early, also. No reason to stress over the airlines not getting us there!

(PS...I am doing fine and am almost a 5 year survivor from a liver cancer with a 10% survival rate!)

We now always get trip insurance after having to get off the ship AN HOUR BEFORE WE SAILED in 2006. I was not feeling well and we went to see the ship's doctor (we were never charged anything for the visit). He sent us off the ship and to the local hospital where I spent 4 days. They thought I had cardiac problems and in the end, I actually had liver cancer. We did NOT have trip insurance and never saw a penny from HAL for our missed cruise. (We had our own medical coverage so that was not a problem.)

I will never travel without trip insurance again. Hopefully I will never have to use it.

We always get down there a day early, also. No reason to stress over the airlines not getting us there!

(PS...I am doing fine and am almost a 5 year survivor from a liver cancer with a 10% survival rate!)

Thank you for the PS - I was getting ready to ask. I'm so happy to hear you are doing well! :)

We also always get travel insurance. We started buying it when my Mom was sick and we feared we would have to cancel at the last minute. But, as this thread demonstrates, there are lots of good reasons to have it.

Oh wow. I am so happy you are doing well. Enjoy LIFE is what I say !!

Ship Medical clinic didn't charge me anything either.

SO sorry that happened on your vacation!!! :(:(:( I was still deciding whether or not to keep the insurance on my January cruise.. you just made up my mind!! Thanks!!

Funny, cause I didn't get the insurance for any illness/injury for me. I had my elderly inlaws in mind, etc. Dang, if it wasn't me who needed it. Never think your the one who will get hurt :p Guess I'm not invincible !

When we sailed our first four cruises we never purchased the insurance for any of them. When I booked what I thought would be our fifth cruise, I had read so many stories here on CC, that I decided it might be a good idea to purchase it. We had invested a fair amount of money on those tickets, an amount we most certainly could not afford to lose. That was in March of 2005, for a sailing in late October.

Two weeks prior to sailing, my dear sister, who had been battling metastatic Breast Cancer very successfully for five years, suddenly became extremely ill. I contacted the Insurance carrier and discussed the situation with them, and they were nothing short of WONDERFUL! We ultimately ended up cancelling that cruise, and received 100% reimbursement. My sister passed away on what would have been the second day of that cruise. We had no regrets for purchasing that policy, and will purchase it for every cruise from now on.

Get it. There are just WAY too many reasons why you should. ;)

GET IT !!

Did your entire party go home on the second day? If so, will your policy cover their expenses also?

P.S. Glad you're home and doing well. But sorry that you missed out on your vacation.

We missed our ship on two different cruises; had to be flown to a port to await the arrival of our ship: ( Once out of New York and once in Mexican Riviera: ) Not a pleasant experience either time but very thank-ful that we had bought the INS: We never cruise without INS:

We missed our ship on two different cruises; had to be flown to a port to await the arrival of our ship: ( Once out of New York and once in Mexican Riviera: ) Not a pleasant experience either time but very thank-ful that we had bought the INS: We never cruise without INS:

When I inquired about this I was told (ncl) only covers you missing the ship if you buy the airfare thru them, too. Or is it different buying thru a separate company?

Also, dont regular HMOs in the States cover the health issues!?! Off to check my policy.

GET IT !!

I am so sorry to hear about such an accident, but am glad your insurance co is working with you. I have always had great experience with the travel insurance companies and your example should be a reminder to everyone how important it is to carry insurance.

Nita

When I inquired about this I was told (ncl) only covers you missing the ship if you buy the airfare thru them, too. Or is it different buying thru a separate company?

Also, dont regular HMOs in the States cover the health issues!?! Off to check my policy.

I never buy insurance through a cruise line. I always buy it separately.

After I've bought airfare I have that added to the policy.

Most HMO's do not cover medical issues outside the US.

So glad to hear your doing well . Keep it up !!!! :)

I never buy insurance through a cruise line. I always buy it separately.

After I've bought airfare I have that added to the policy.

Most HMO's do not cover medical issues outside the US.

Not to be a pest - just trying to become educated on what to do. I called a few companies listed here and they all say you'd have to have the "cancel for any reason" insurance to be protected in the case of a winter storm and airlines being grounded (and in turn missing the ship) but even then it'd have to be grounded for 48h and you'd have to "cancel for any reason" at least 48h prior to departure so how would that even work?! I don't think it could. Fill me in.

I called our HMO and they say everything is covered except being flown off the ship - I hate to say what are the odds but would it be worth buying for just this coverage?!

Not to be a pest - just trying to become educated on what to do. I called a few companies listed here and they all say you'd have to have the "cancel for any reason" insurance to be protected in the case of a winter storm and airlines being grounded (and in turn missing the ship) but even then it'd have to be grounded for 48h and you'd have to "cancel for any reason" at least 48h prior to departure so how would that even work?! I don't think it could. Fill me in.

I called our HMO and they say everything is covered except being flown off the ship - I hate to say what are the odds but would it be worth buying for just this coverage?!

Emergency evacuation does happen more often than you'd think. And it costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $25,000 to $30,000 if it happens to you. I am one of the lucky ones who already has this coverage through my work.

Interesting about missing the ship. Since I already have medical outside the US and emergency evacuation, I only need coverage for if we have to cancel after final or in the event we don't make the ship due to the airlines and/or weather. I always fly out a day early but you never know with these storms in the Northeast. They can cripple the airport for days. I would be interested, too, in any advice on just that coverage. In the past, I've wound up getting policy that also includes medical and evacuation because it came as a package deal.

Also, if you have kids, there are some companies where kids are free.

That 48 hour bothers me, but not enough not to get the coverage. We usually know when a nor'easter is coming so we can cancel ahead of time. If there are riots in Greece and you just don't feel comfortable going, you can make a decision like that 48 hours prior. If things get busy at work or a big deadline comes up, we will probably know 48 hours prior. If a dear friend or one of our pets was very sick, we might want to cancel. Obviously, it wouldn't help if they got sick the day before, but there is a lot of time between final payment and 48 hours prior.

Even when we don't get cancel for any reason, we get basic travel insurance. There is more to be covered than just the cost of the trip. For instance, years ago on our way to a cruise our luggage was lost by the airline (it was delivered to our home when we returned). Our insurance covered the cost of the clothing we had to purchase to go on with our cruise. So, besides the BIG reasons for travel insurance, there are lots of little reasons as well.

And while being flown off the ship seems a remote possibility, when it happens

it will be a very large bill.

Did your entire party go home on the second day? If so, will your policy cover their expenses also?

P.S. Glad you're home and doing well. But sorry that you missed out on your vacation.

My party only consisted of my husband and yes they do cover him too. Since it was 10 minutes into the cruise I expect the total cruise to be reimbursed. I think if it was like the 3rd day - they would prorate it. If there were any excursions and anything else that was non-refundable, that would be covered too (all my excursions were very understanding and no cancellations fees). The only thing that wasn't covered is my two first class tickets. I tried United, Visa, Access America and my mileage plus and since I actually made the trip - they figured I used it. If I had cancelled before my flight - I'm sure my flight would have been covered too. Could be worse . . .

;)

GET IT !!

Were you on the Gem to Bermuda (that actually went to the bahamas) 9/11? The captain said a lady hurt her foot and we were waiting on the ambulance to pick her up. I felt really bad for that lady:( I'm glad you had insurance and hope your foot is better soon.

Were you on the Gem to Bermuda (that actually went to the bahamas) 9/11? The captain said a lady hurt her foot and we were waiting on the ambulance to pick her up. I felt really bad for that lady:( I'm glad you had insurance and hope your foot is better soon.

I was on the Pride of America. Great medical team on ship who took good care until I arrive at Maui port the next day to go to ER. Travel Insurance got on the phone with United and made arrangements for my flight home. Insurance will cover change fees. One thing to mention is that if I did require a medical flight with medical staff etc - the insurance had coverage of $500,000. Goes to show just how expensive it can get. Everyone was really terrific.

Archived