Wondering about TRIP INSURANCE?

max a million

One thing to consider with your existing medical insurance: are they a pain to deal with normally? If so, just imagine what they will be like if you have to file a claim for something that happened out of your area??? Will they handle the paperwork between the other medical services? If you are injured/sick in a non-English speaking country, will they provide translation services for the paperwork??

I happened to break a leg on a vacation in Italy. I was required to stay in the hospital there for several days before I was allowed to fly home for surgery. My insurance paid for translation of my files for my surgeon here in the States. All of the paperwork from the hospital was in Italian, including the bill, with payment due in Euros. I had purchased travel insurance that also had medical coverage. All I had to do was send in all the paperwork and it was handled for me.

The insurance also was willing to provide a traveling nurse for me at their cost - I declined. But, they were able to assist in getting all my travel plans re-arranged. I received a pro-rated amount from my vacation that I had pre-paid. I double-checked their payment and it was exactly the per diem that I paid out. I was very pleased with the service I received.

It was well worth the money to circumvent my existing insurance (Aetna) and have a company specifically dealing with travel issues work for me.

I think I should point out that the later you wait to purchase your insurance the more expensive it is, especially for those with pre-existing conditions. The day you book your cruise, get your cancel for any reason insurance. We learned the hard way with the Iceland volcano in April 2010. No Venice, no Greek islands.

I broke my ankle 3 days before we were due to leave. Fortunately my traveling companian (a friend) was able to find someone else to go so all I was out was airfare each way which was promptly paid by TRAVEL GUARD.

But you just never know what will happen, and while cruising is expensive insurance is cheap.

We had a good friend nearly killed in an accident in the Bahamas 2 years ago, and it was over $10K to get a med flight back to the US (they had no trip insurance) PLUS it was a nightmare with the *who's paying for this* - it ended up they had to pay cash for the flight, before he would be transported. Never travel without it.

So sorry to hear about your break. Hoping it heals fast for you. I broke my hand last year on our cruise at the very first port. I had completely forgot that we had purchased the cruise insurance and didn't have it looked at until after we got home. :eek: Yep, broken in a really bad spot. But hey, it didn't stop me...I still snorkeled at 2 other ports after that. LOL

Here's to a speedy recovery. :)

Our last 3 cruises (2 NCL, 1 CCL) we had to do the travel insurance at the time we booked because DH has type II diabetes (pre-existing condition). It has always been based on the cabin. Mine has to be paid for up front as well although I do not have any issues.

We paid for our friends to cruise with us in 2008. It was either 2 to 3 weeks out and she developed a blood clot and could not go. We were refunded a small amount of money from CCL which they sent to our TA and the rest came from the insurance company. We would have been out a lot of money had we not had the travel insurance.

I know years ago I asked GHI if my HMO would cover me and I was told absolutely not. This was also the same insurance company I had to get a referral from our primary care doctor in order to get mobile life paid for taking my husband to the ER after an accident:eek:

So folks, don't lay any trust in your own health insurance company

Our last 3 cruises (2 NCL, 1 CCL) we had to do the travel insurance at the time we booked because DH has type II diabetes (pre-existing condition). It has always been based on the cabin. Mine has to be paid for up front as well although I do not have any issues.

We paid for our friends to cruise with us in 2008. It was either 2 to 3 weeks out and she developed a blood clot and could not go. We were refunded a small amount of money from CCL which they sent to our TA and the rest came from the insurance company. We would have been out a lot of money had we not had the travel insurance.

I know years ago I asked GHI if my HMO would cover me and I was told absolutely not. This was also the same insurance company I had to get a referral from our primary care doctor in order to get mobile life paid for taking my husband to the ER after an accident:eek:

So folks, don't lay any trust in your own health insurance company

"So folks, don't lay any trust in your own health insurance company."

Ain't that the truth! I called our insurance company one year to ask about evacuation coverage. I was told I'd have to have both legs broken and worse! Otherwise, I'd just be taken to the nearest "hospital." Trust me, a lot of hospitals around the world are not like we have in the US. We always buy travel insurance with good evac coverage.

Archived