Airport Tipping

Bobed1927

We had an attendant in Delhi, India, that insisted on a very big tip (about $50 US). We gave him a the equivalent of $10 and would give him no more. Later we found out that he could have been fired for taking a tip, much less asking for such a large tip.:eek:

We had an attendant in Delhi, India, that insisted on a very big tip (about $50 US). We gave him a the equivalent of $10 and would give him no more. Later we found out that he could have been fired for taking a tip, much less asking for such a large tip.:eek:

We have found when the attendants work for the airlines, they not only will not take a tip but they too could be fired if seen taking a tip. So be careful; we always say, "Please may we buy you a cup of coffee?" and hand the attendant $5.00 or $10.00.

Airport assistance is a lifesaver for me. Even though I can walk for a while, I get pain from standing. If it is prolonged, it feels like I'm getting the flu. Not cool when flying. I always request wc when making reservations. I keep about $40.00 as 6 $5 bills and the remaning $10 in ones and keep it ready but separate from other travel cash.

XXOOOCruiser, I think the before and possibly after method is a winner!

Blessings,

Gail

My personal policy is to tip early and often. Those who push wheelchairs in airports also save both my husband and myself lots of time because they know the procedures for their particular location. And on boarding the ship, those who push are often those who work in the pool area, and once we are underway they will also be helping with lifts for the pool.

Happy sailing!

My concern is that as a person of size I am pushed by a slight elderly person who looks as if I should push him or her. Actually they are very strong but it makes me feel guilty. I always tip well. Theonly place they will not take a tip is with westjet in Canada.

I've never needed anyone to push my chair at the airport, as I do it myself but afew times at JFK NY and FLL Florida airports a staff member for the airlines has walked with my travel partners and myself and when we get to the gate they request a tip for showing us the way:eek:.

Turn right after the security checkpoint look up and see gate # hmm really hard to figure out. Maybe if they kept people out of my way or actually did something I couldn't do on my own then maybe alittle something.

As they did NOTHING for us they did not get one.

I do tip the guy in the orange/neon green vest who takes the chair down the stairs to put it in the luggage compartment. - Seen way to many chairs just tossed down the luggage slide and crash onto the ground at the bottom. With tip I watch the person bump it down the stairs or actually carry it down. If I can't get them to put it in the cabin closet.

Archived