Airport Tipping

Bobed1927

My mobility limitation has become so severe that, in flying to the port, I needed a wheelchair to take me from check-in to the departure gate at the airport. At the gate I tipped the wheelchair attendant. My traveling companion said that it was not necessary to tip her. I know that I did not have to tip her but I'm wondering what the convention is.

My mobility limitation has become so severe that, in flying to the port, I needed a wheelchair to take me from check-in to the departure gate at the airport. At the gate I tipped the wheelchair attendant. My traveling companion said that it was not necessary to tip her. I know that I did not have to tip her but I'm wondering what the convention is.

I always tip the airport wheelchair attendent at least $5.00. I also give the attendent the tip the minute I'm seated in the wheelchair and not upon arriving at the gate or baggage area. I find that by giving it up front the attendent bends over backwards to assist me with any special request. I have even been known to give more $ once I've arrived at the gate or baggage area depending if I ask to stop at the washroom or one of the concession stands on the way.

Though a tip is not requirment when receiving wheelchair assistant, I find that most are truely genuniuely appreciative of it and that's why I give it up front . I find that the people who generally never tip never had to rely on job that

I have 2 disabled kids, and although there are 2 of us pushing the wheelchairs, we need a porter to get our bags to the check-in desk. One time I knew that at least one of our bags was overweight, which I told the porter I was concerned about and we would need to rearrange our packing if that was the case. He followed us to the ticket counter, handed the luggage onto the weight machine more than one at a time and told the agent at the counter that all the bags were underweight. No problem! I gave that porter a big tip, as he saved our a** in overwieght luggage fees. ;) This was in Orlando (MCO).

Is it the same for the people who help with embark/debark? I am assuming it is.

I personally have not tipped them. They're ship staff, the "trip" up the gangway isn't that great. It's more a matter of moving through the crowd so as to get us to the front of the line than any real assistance, in my experience.

But I do tip the airport porters...generously..and find they're real accommodating when they have a couple of bills in their pocket! :)

The airport porters depend on tips for their living, so of course one should tip them. I think it's more than "a nice idea". I think it's pretty much expected unless you really can't afford it.

To be honest, the savings on tipping porters was a major factor into our decision to buy our first manual wheelchair. At $5-$10 at each end of the flight, it didn't take long to pay back $100 spent on our first used manual chair. Not to mention the convenience of not having to hunt around for a chair upon arrival at the airport, or wait for one upon getting off the plane.

We don't tip the cruise line staff who help with embark/disembark at the start and end of the trip. But we do tip the people who help us on and off at the ports of call, especially if there have been a lot of steep gangways and the same guys helping us throughout the cruise. We have appreciated their muscle and willingness to lend it, and want to reward that.

Although it isn't necessary to tip the wheelchair pushers since it is an ADA service, I always do. I do this because they help me over and above the pushing. On the inbound trip, to the airplane, they take me to a special security lane with no wait, and while I am being screened they take my purse and suitcase and pass them through the X-Ray. They are back to me by the time I am finished being screened.

On the outbound trip, when I get off the plane, they help me with my luggage, pushing the wheelchair with one hand and pulling the luggage with the other (I never need a porter). They also make sure that I get a taxi ASAP, without waiting in line with everybody else if the line is long (they know and work with all the loaders). All of this is worth it to me. I don't go on vacation unless I can well afford it. $10. isn't much to me when I travel...I have a beautiful bichon I must leave at home, and I pay a housesitter to sit with her, if you want some perspective. So once I've paid that much, a bit more for convenience isn't much.

M.

Although it isn't necessary to tip the wheelchair pushers since it is an ADA service, I always do. I do this because they help me over and above the pushing.

Why do you think wheelchair pushing is an ADA service? I haven't seen wheelchair pushers offered at our local mall, or sports venue, or really anywhere except an airport. I think the service is offered as a convenience for those who don't have their own chairs or don't have a traveling companion who can push. And I think those who use it should compensate those who provide the service.

Although it isn't necessary to tip the wheelchair pushers since it is an ADA service,

M.

Wheelchair pushers are NOT a requirement or is it a mandate under ADA law. It's strictly a service that's provided because the airlines recongnize the benefit of offering such service to their revenue profits.

Although it isn't necessary to tip the wheelchair pushers since it is an ADA service, I always do. I do this because they help me over and above the pushing. On the inbound trip, to the airplane, they take me to a special security lane with no wait, and while I am being screened they take my purse and suitcase and pass them through the X-Ray. They are back to me by the time I am finished being screened.

On the outbound trip, when I get off the plane, they help me with my luggage, pushing the wheelchair with one hand and pulling the luggage with the other (I never need a porter). They also make sure that I get a taxi ASAP, without waiting in line with everybody else if the line is long (they know and work with all the loaders). All of this is worth it to me. I don't go on vacation unless I can well afford it. $10. isn't much to me when I travel...I have a beautiful bichon I must leave at home, and I pay a housesitter to sit with her, if you want some perspective. So once I've paid that much, a bit more for convenience isn't much.

M.

The "wheelchair pushers" ARE porters ...so you do indeed make use of porters at the airport. And no, they are not a requirement of the ADA, but rather a service offered by the airlines (or sometimes the air terminal). They "know and work with all the loaders" because they are themselves loaders.

And yes, it is quite convenient and helpful, and worth tipping.

what about those extended golf cart thingies that transport folks from gate to gate? I can see if you specially requested one to meet you at the gate, but what if it's already there (or passing by) and you catch a ride? should you tip them?

For the first time my husband will have his own transport chair on our upcoming trip next month. Is it still possible to get someone to push him besides me at the airport? We both take a carry-on on board the plane and I usually take care of those, so I won't be able to do both.

I shouldn't post when I am sleepy. They aren't required by ADA. You all are correct.

In the airports I've been to, pushers are a separate unit from porters. All they do are wheelchair pushing/assisting.

When I said they work with the loaders, I meant the airports I'm used to. In those places, there are either taxi cab company loaders who work for the taxi company, or else the airport police/security keeps the taxis in rank and pulls them over special for those needing assistance. It may not be the same everywhere.

As for shuttles, the carts in the airport (when I used to use them), etc., my rule is that if you don't help me with my luggage or in some way assist me, I generally don't tip. If you do help me, I help you :) Simple as that.

M.

The "wheelchair pushers" ARE porters ...so you do indeed make use of porters at the airport. And no, they are not a requirement of the ADA, but rather a service offered by the airlines (or sometimes the air terminal). They "know and work with all the loaders" because they are themselves loaders.

And yes, it is quite convenient and helpful, and worth tipping.

For the first time my husband will have his own transport chair on our upcoming trip next month. Is it still possible to get someone to push him besides me at the airport? We both take a carry-on on board the plane and I usually take care of those, so I won't be able to do both.

Of course. When I traveled with my mother recently, we had an assistant push her while I pulled her carry-on and mine.

Yes, do ask for assistance. They'll do the pushing, and depending on the size of the carryons, may even take one of them for you.

Don't hesitate to ask for assistance. But also, don't underestimate the value of the wheelchair as a luggage cart! :)

My DH loves to have me put the carry-ons in his lap, and I can hang my travel tote on the back of his chair. That way, I am free to push him, and we don't need a porter once the checked luggage is taken care of. Depending on how much stuff you have, and your Hubby's tolerance for extra weight on his lap, it might be something to consider.

One other tip - We always take a backpack (any regular school-type backpack will do) for excursions. It holds my purse, maps, purchases, water bottle, whatever. And I don't have to carry a thing! Of course, when I am not directly behind the chair, as in a store, I carry the backpack with me for security.

ALWAYS tip your pusher at least five dollars...more if you are a large load....oops, a "person of size".;)

People don't hesitate to tip the person who carries your bags or brings a drink, why not the person that gets you safely and quickly through the airport or up the gangway?

Don't hesitate to ask for assistance. But also, don't underestimate the value of the wheelchair as a luggage cart! :)

My DH loves to have me put the carry-ons in his lap, and I can hang my travel tote on the back of his chair. That way, I am free to push him, and we don't need a porter once the checked luggage is taken care of. Depending on how much stuff you have, and your Hubby's tolerance for extra weight on his lap, it might be something to consider.

One other tip - We always take a backpack (any regular school-type backpack will do) for excursions. It holds my purse, maps, purchases, water bottle, whatever. And I don't have to carry a thing! Of course, when I am not directly behind the chair, as in a store, I carry the backpack with me for security.

This is great news. Going through security is an ordeal with him, not only because of his walking difficulties, but he also has a pacemaker, and staples from by pass surgery that make the metal detectors beep. He gets so upset because they check him so throughly. I try to keep everything calm, but it can be challenging.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all for this information. I may need help for my traveling partner, needing a wheelchair and have a question. Do I let the airlines know a head of time that I will be needing a wheelchair or do I ask at the check-in? Showld I call and have it put into my record?

Thank you all for this information. I may need help for my traveling partner, needing a wheelchair and have a question. Do I let the airlines know a head of time that I will be needing a wheelchair or do I ask at the check-in? Showld I call and have it put into my record?

Yes. Let the airlines know ahead of time, and ask again at check-in. And give yourself plenty of time at check-in, because it may take awhile for them to come with the chair. Once they do, you and your friend in the chair will be ushered to the heads of a lot of security lines and assisted, but getting there will be tense if you're in a rush.

Definitely ask at check-in. But as Uppitycats said, be prepared to wait, both at check-in and once you land. It's a 50/50 proposition whether there will be a chair available to you when you need it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it until I'm blue in the face: If you possibly can, purchase an inexpensive manual wheelchair and take it with you. It reduces stress in the airport and cruise terminal by guaranteeing there will be a wheelchair. You will still attract porters who will whisk you to the front of security lines (they should be tipped!), and you will have the ability to focus on the stuff that normal people focus on in airports, like getting to the right gate and getting a snack...

I will echo much of what's already been said here. We let the airline know ahead that DH will need a wheelchair. And he collects $5 bills ahead of time and gives them to the pusher at the end of the ride. Depending on the pusher they really make it so much easier to get through security, make restroom stops and handle carry-on luggage.

Archived