Ever slept above-deck under-the-stars?

Trin1103

We fell asleep watching the movie out on the big screen... but were woken up around 2a.m. by the teens running around hollering. That sleep felt good for a while, and the stars and fresh air were great, but that bed.... ahhhh so comfy to go crawl into after several hours lying on the chaise loungers :)

In November 2009 a good fraction of the passengers on the NCL Spirit slept on the decks when the ship lost power -- first all power for about 6 hours, then just enough power to limp into San Juan the following day (rather than its Miami destination) but with no air conditioning, lights, stoves, etc. We took our bedding from our cabins onto the deck. :)

Bill

I think a cove balcony would be perfect for this. Not quite sleeping under the stars but being so close to the water line and the sound of the waves hitting the ship would be delicious. I used to live in a very large city back east and would take my bedding out onto my penthouse balcony on some evenings just to sleep under the stars. There must be something still remaining in our DNA to still want to experience this.

Did that many times as a teenager 35 years ago. Woke up one morning to the splash of water. 2 crew members were up one deck mopping and emptied the pails onto my deck about 10 feet away from me. We all had a good laugh about it.

Been there, done that - MANY years ago!

Kathy

Sometimes the Serenity areas are roped off, sometimes not. Depends on the ship. I also thought immediately of the clamshells. They would be terrific!

Years ago, small dive boat off Cayman Brac. Cabins stuffy, so were slept outside most nights. Very pleasant.

In November 2009 a good fraction of the passengers on the NCL Spirit slept on the decks when the ship lost power -- first all power for about 6 hours, then just enough power to limp into San Juan the following day (rather than its Miami destination) but with no air conditioning, lights, stoves, etc. We took our bedding from our cabins onto the deck. :)

Bill

pretty much the same thing on the splendor after the fire.

I have and do sleep on the balcony.. I have heard from a few people that have tried to sleep on deck and where told NO for security reasons.. guess it is a try and see if you can kinda thing:D

It is far better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission!

Sometimes the Serenity areas are roped off, sometimes not. Depends on the ship. I also thought immediately of the clamshells. They would be terrific!

Years ago, small dive boat off Cayman Brac. Cabins stuffy, so were slept outside most nights. Very pleasant.

On the Legend two weeks ago you could wander out onto the Serenity deck after it closed, but the staff removes all the cushions from the chairs and the Clamshells before closing at 10-11pm.

Plus each morning around 4-5am they start hosing down the entire area.

So as long as you can sleep on those hard loungers with no cushions and do not mind being woken by overspray in the wee hours of the morning, go for it.

Bill

On the Legend two weeks ago you could wander out onto the Serenity deck after it closed, but the staff removes all the cushions from the chairs and the Clamshells before closing at 10-11pm.

Plus each morning around 4-5am they start hosing down the entire area.

So as long as you can sleep on those hard loungers with no cushions and do not mind being woken by overspray in the wee hours of the morning, go for it.

Bill

Actually, when we did it, we took our pillows and blankets with us. The hosing at that time began more like midnight - just as we were starting to get comfortable. (Now that I look back on it, the ship must have "gone to sleep" a lot earlier than ships do these days!!:))

Kathy

Archived