Dear Carnival Beards

stargate fan

I would rather not have them increase costs by hiring people who would do nothing but patrol the pool deck. I would vote no thanks.

If they increased the price by a dollar per passenger, on a 3000 passenger vessel it would amount to enough to pay 2 persons to perform this task. Isn't getting a chair worth a buck??? I agree with the OP 1000%.

believe it or not 40 + cruises (not all Carnival) and I have never had any problems with chair hogs. But I definately agree that something should be done. Base on what I have read on these boards the biggest issue is the people that come early in the morning and try to hold chairs all day. Perhaps Carnival should just have whomever puts the chairs out in the morning stand there till it gets crowded and yell after people who they see putting out towells or whatever and walking away.

Agreed. Sometimes you just have to stand up for yourself against the bullies. I always get up early to see the sunrise and walk the deck so maybe I will do everyone a favor and take all the towels, oranges, etc. off all the saved chairs.

Here is a thought how about they get up early like you do.....then they can get a prime chair:D....

Maybe what we need here are chair timers, of the type some restaurants use for their express lunch specials, you know the in less than 15 minutes or its free type. A person can get up to go get a drink or go to the bathroom, and if they are not back by the time the timer goes off the chair is fair game. I can't imaging such timers could cost more than a dollar each in quantity, simply lanyard one to each deck chair, and when you want to step away for a couple minutes click the start button, if your back by the end of the countdown push the button again to stop.

I actually think thats a great idea! :D

Back in the old, old days (yeah that long ago) our church had pews with brass name tags on them and with engraved names such as Mr. and Mrs. Holierthanthou or Mr.and Mrs. Sinnersarenotus. That was to make it abundantly clear to anyone those pews were NOT for us regular sinners. :p

Maybe CCL could sell security coded deck chair name tags at the time of booking? For security reasons, the chair name tags would emit a LOUD beeping sound if someone other than the rightful owner tried to remove the name tag from their deck chair.(the LOUD beeping would not stop until the deck chair name tag was turned in at the front desk)

Imagine .....cruising with your own name tag on your own deck chair, such luxury.:rolleyes:

back in the old, old days (yeah that long ago) our church had pews with brass name tags on them and with engraved names such as mr. And mrs. Holierthanthou or mr.and mrs. Sinnersarenotus. That was to make it abundantly clear to anyone those pews were not for us regular sinners. :p

maybe ccl could sell security coded deck chair name tags at the time of booking? For security reasons, the chair name tags would emit a loud beeping sound if someone other than the rightful owner tried to remove the name tag from their deck chair.(the loud beeping would not stop until the deck chair name tag was turned in at the front desk)

imagine .....cruising with your own name tag on your own deck chair, such luxury.:rolleyes:

:d:d lmbo!!!!!

I've never experienced chair hogs because we always have booked balcony cabins and will prefer to just sit there in general peace and quiet. However, since we decided to do a third cruise this year we decided to take an inside cabin for our cruise the end of this month. This will put us outside with all the rest of the people needing chairs.

So my question is this. Do chair hogs mostly hog chairs by the pools or do they also do it along side the ship where the chairs are also lined up? We don't use the pools or the hot tubs so if it is mostly done by the pools then we probably won't be encountering the problem.

I was also wondering if packing a large plastic bag could be used to gather the CHs belongings/towels and just put them aside where they could be safe. At least they couldn't blame you for taking their towel. Maybe even putting a sticky note inside with the time you recognized the seat had been left unattended. The person wouldn't have much to protest with. Better yet, if the ship doesn't allow the crew to take responsibility, at least let the ship provide the bags. When the person shows up, looking for their chair, you could just say, "YOU'VE BEEN BAGGED" lol

I've never experienced chair hogs because we always have booked balcony cabins and will prefer to just sit there in general peace and quiet. However, since we decided to do a third cruise this year we decided to take an inside cabin for our cruise the end of this month. This will put us outside with all the rest of the people needing chairs.

So my question is this. Do chair hogs mostly hog chairs by the pools or do they also do it along side the ship where the chairs are also lined up? We don't use the pools or the hot tubs so if it is mostly done by the pools then we probably won't be encountering the problem.

I was also wondering if packing a large plastic bag could be used to gather the CHs belongings/towels and just put them aside where they could be safe. At least they couldn't blame you for taking their towel. Maybe even putting a sticky note inside with the time you recognized the seat had been left unattended. The person wouldn't have much to protest with. Better yet, if the ship doesn't allow the crew to take responsibility, at least let the ship provide the bags. When the person shows up, looking for their chair, you could just say, "YOU'VE BEEN BAGGED" lol

I really do not care what happens to anyones belongings that leave them there for hours. When I leave a place all my belongings are with me.

Mostly the issue is with chairs right at the pool.

Bag 'em ice! None of it will be mine. ;)

Agreed. Sometimes you just have to stand up for yourself against the bullies. I always get up early to see the sunrise and walk the deck so maybe I will do everyone a favor and take all the towels, oranges, etc. off all the saved chairs.

You mentioned an orange.... I take it you've seen the infamous "orange' picture, lol! :) Down with chair hogging!!

Dear Carnival Beards,

Thank you for listening to Cruise Critic members' suggestions to enhance our Carnival cruising experiences. I would like to ask for one more improvement: please hire personnel whose sole job is to patrol the pool decks. The "chair hogging" has become unbearable. By having employees who do not have to commit to responsibilities other than to patrol the decks, situations amongst cruisers can be avoided and all passengers who wish can enjoy some time by the pools. On our last cruise on Carnival Splendor back in April, a group "hogged" over 30 deck chairs with a single shoe, a towel, a magazine, or sunscreen. These patrons did not use their saved chairs for over three hours. Imagine the number of guests who would have loved to sit in those unoccupied seats, my husband and me included.

Thank you for considering my request.

Sincerely,

Stargate Fan

not sure why we have to keep asking this. rccl does this quite successfully, and their pool areas are much larger.

they will approach anyone looking like they are setting up camp, requesting them to cease and desist, or, for the ones they miss, attach a time ticket to a set up, unoccupied, chair. After ten minutes, the stuff is removed and brought to the cabana.

it is an amusing show to watch.

about 10ish, when all the chairs are legitimately occupied, the operation shuts down.

all we seem to get from carnival are excuses why they can't do it.

HELLO! it can be done.

Carnival can and should enforce this policy without much additional cost. Yes, some people don't want the policy enforced, most likely because these are the people who are the problems. However, if the policy is enforced, it would probably eliminate the need for people to save chairs, thus creating a positive cycle instead of a negative cycle of people feeling they need to save chairs.

We never save chairs if we get up for lunch or go to other ship entertainment. We just realize that once we get up we'll have to find another place to sit.

I don't want to seem crass, but how the heck does a shoe, a towel, a magazine or sunscreen hold a chair for 3 hours? If I wanted to sit by the pool and it had been 30 minutes or more, the stuff would be moved to a different chair and my booty would be in the chair it was occupying. No need to have someone patrolling, just move it.

You said it....

Here is a thought how about they get up early like you do.....then they can get a prime chair:D....

I do get up early, but I do not go and put something on a chair and head back to bed or to eat breakfast. Although I have never had the problem of a chair hog bothering me, I would not hesitate to move items from a chair that I wanted if it was empty for 30 minutes. :D

And if you get up at the crack of dawn to get a "prime chair", more power to ya. Just stay in it if you want to keep it.;):p

IMO they have plenty of people pushing DOD's on the lido, repeatedly walking by the same spots that could easily say something to the chair hogs. I mean if they have offered me 4 drinks in 30 minutes, I'm pretty sure they've noticed the unoccupied chair being saved with a shoe, towel, book, etc.

Or just remove their stuff. I don't believe in saving chairs unless you are saving it with your body.

One must remember that restroom breaks are necessary or are they in the pool or hot tub. Therefore caution should be used before assuming this the case.:D

IMO they have plenty of people pushing DOD's on the lido, repeatedly walking by the same spots that could easily say something to the chair hogs. I mean if they have offered me 4 drinks in 30 minutes, I'm pretty sure they've noticed the unoccupied chair being saved with a shoe, towel, book, etc.

Amen to that it is infringing upon their tips, perhaps every time they walk by they should leave a bar bill for a DOD or some such :). Pitty there is no way to find out who these people really are

i have to agree, the chair hogs are the only time i've actually experienced what amounted to a spat on a ship, but i saw it twice on my last cruise ... in both cases, people who'd been away the full time i was out there got really upset about their stuff no longer being on chairs. meaning, each time people had been gone over an hour, etc ...

one time, this old woman actually tipped the chair over to make a girl of about 12 or so fall out of the chair because she had "reserved" it earlier.

(I'll add, this was in serenity ... so, i had questions of why the girl was there with her mother, but still, one doesn't get violent to get a chair ...)

the other time, it came to frantic screaming and stuff. the people had gone off to have lunch. or so they said in their shouts. and were upset that after returning who knows how much later, their chairs had been claimed by others. again, in serenity.

it seems to be something that brings out the worst in people, so some sort of patrolling would be nice ... if nothing else, to have a way to say stop the yelling and hurting folks over deck chairs.

Archived