where to eat and stay in New Orleans

abqmommyof4

We are sailing out of New Orleans in March and are starting to look at where to stay and eat close to the port. We are flying in the day before from Albuquerque. Just the 2 of us ( kids staying home) we know we want to find the best place for oysters.( I adore them)

thanks for your help and suggestions

Love Nawlins. Depending on how much you want to spend, there is a very nice Marriot right across from the port. It is not a long walk to the French Quarter. Acme Oyster Company for your oyster fix but seriously.. there are so many great places to eat. Ask someone at the hotel for what they recommend.

Oh.. and stop in Cafe Du Monde for Beignets... YUM CITY

Carolin,

You are correct with both places to eat. Acme Oyster House has the best oysters and for breakfast or a late night snack you can not beat Cafe Du Monde. I live about 45 miles north of New Orleans and my wife loves going to Acme. I don't eat oysters but they look so good I almost tried one the last time we were there.

We stayed in the French Quarter at a great place called Iberville Suites. Got a great rate, and close too all the oysters you want in the FQ. LOVED sailing out of NOLA!!!!!

best rate I am finding there is $299 a night.... gasp:eek:

try hotwire?? Iv seen some great rates on there. Just watch the stars and match them up to amenites. pick anything in the french qtr with 4 stars, how can you go wrong, or even 3 stars should be ok

I like cafe do mond but dont get why people like the things with powdered sugar on them. I just order the coffee.

I've stayed at that Marriott, it's nice. You may get a better price at the Doubletree though, which is also right near there.

If you decide you want more classic New Orleans food, I can't recommend Napoleon House in the French Quarter enough! :)

Drury is awfully nice, and since you dont need to park, check out the online rate. they have a free happy hour with food/snacks and a good breakfast and the rooms to me are beautiful, lots of marble, sloped ceiling, 20 ft windows and HUGE.

They told me its the nicest Drury in the US.

Carolin,

You are correct with both places to eat. Acme Oyster House has the best oysters and for breakfast or a late night snack you can not beat Cafe Du Monde. I live about 45 miles north of New Orleans and my wife loves going to Acme. I don't eat oysters but they look so good I almost tried one the last time we were there.

You CAN beat Cafe' du Monde. Hit up a Cafe Beignet and avoid an hourlong wait on line.

Oysters at Acme seafood or from Felix will hit the spot. Felix will have a shorter wait.

For lunch, hit up Johnny's Po Boys.

We stayed at the Holiday inn inthe French quarter, a block off Bourbon st. Between Bourbon and Acme. Prices were not too bad when we were there something like 90 bucks a night. As far as food we had a meal at Deanies (sp) was on man vs food, the platters are big enough for two people! Mounds of food!!:):)

If you want to stay somewhere outside, but near the french quarter that is not a cookie cutter hotel check out Quality Inn & Suites Maison St. Charles. It is a fenced in courtyard like compound of renovated buildings (high ceilings, etc.) , mostly valet parking on a neighboring fenced lot, if your driving be careful going through their drive through building area, there is a tight turn there with a pipe sticking up that a lot of people hit. It has been a few years since I last stayed there, but it seems to still be mostly the same, the only downside is limited on site dining options.

We always are able to get into the Marriott Convention Center and the Marriott Canal Street for less than $100. The only time it's an issue is during a Saints home game, then it all goes up to $300+ per night on the night before a game. We are staying there this December for $89 per night.

We're staying at the Drury in January. E-saver rate was $117/room. We got 2 rooms with 4 ppl in each room. We're planning on getting our 3 free drinks there (might as well - before we have to pay on the cruise!) and maybe going on a ghost tour before hitting the nightlife in New Orleans.

I like cafe do mond but dont get why people like the things with powdered sugar on them. I just order the coffee.

Because they taste awesome w/ the powdered sugar!

Was there in July for a mission trip with Habitat for Humanity. Had the day off and went to NOLA. We even saw the Triumph in port from the Riverfront park! At that time, we didn't know we'd be going on her in Nov...

Like my dad always said: "I guess that's why they paint cars different colors" :rolleyes:

GP

I've never heard of anyone before that doesn't like the beignets!!:eek:

They are fabulous, especially with a cafe au lait! :D

I stayed at the Doubletree for a few nights two weeks ago. It was OK, but I wouldn't choose to stay there in the future. The rooms were clean, but overall the place had a sense of being tired.

While I was in NOLA I had breakfast and went to a reception at the Westin across the street which was gorgeous. I wish I had gome for the slightly higher rate for a much nicer hotel. Both were walking distance to Bourbon Street and the French Quarter, had the street car run right in front of them, and were within walking distance of a number of restaurants. A friend stayed at teh Hampton at the same time and was very satisfied.

For a great meal outside the typical tourist places, make a reservation at Herbsaint. It's about a $6 cab ride from the hotels around the port and well worth the effort. If you want something walking distance from the hotels near the port, I suggest Grand Isle. The oven roasted chicken was amazing.

Archived