Low fare alert for specific dates and multi-destination

World Gallery

Thanks for all of this great information. Yes, I think I have started obsessively checking. I will do both. I have set up fare alerts (at leaset I think I have done it correctly for each leg separately). Since we need 7 tickets, a small drop makes a difference. As for packing, if all of us can have one free carry-on and one personal item (purse), then we should be okay. Do all airlines, budget and regular, allow a free carry on and one small personal item? I would still have two checked pieces. It is going to be very difficult to pack for 7, for a 28 day long trip! The lightest will be two checked bags.

I am gone a month at a time, frequently on my vacations. I take one bag. A significant bulk savings is doing laundry. Just a suggestion to consider.

I agree, Flybe and Easyjet is not going to be for you.

do you have a suggestion on when is the best time to book the flights?
The only sensible answer that can be given is "When it's cheap". To get the best out of this, you need to watch the fares on the route and see what they do, and get a feel for the "trading range". When they're cheap, particularly if there's an announced sale, then it's likely to be a good time to buy if you want to save money.

FlyerTalker - I checked out EF. I think I will subscribe. It looks a bit overwhelming at first glance. Is it easy to use?

I sent an email to my TA to see if his is subscribed. If not, I am going to take flight booking matters into my own hands totally and see what I can learn.

FlyerTalker - I checked out EF. I think I will subscribe. It looks a bit overwhelming at first glance. Is it easy to use?

I sent an email to my TA to see if his is subscribed. If not, I am going to take flight booking matters into my own hands totally and see what I can learn.

Globaliser nailed it on the when to buy question. There is no "sweet spot" that is known in advance, only in hindsight.

When you say TA, that can mean many things. If you are dealing with a full-service agency that has direct access to a GDS, then they already have the functionality of EF and more. If you are dealing with a cruise-only agency, or a part-time/home agent, then EF is probably more than what they have (which may only be a telephone to call an airline).

EF has some various help screens. Also remember, there is no booking made through EF, so you can play around to your heart's content if you have the unlimited query plan. Poke around and see what you find. It can be quite informative. Add in ITA Software and FareCompare and you've got a bunch of tools at your disposal.

Probably the best thing that can come from using EF (or KVS) is a greater awareness of just what is happening in the airline ticket process. It can be a real eye-opener. And remember, there are a bunch of folk here who can also answer questions.

Have fun!!

I subsribed to EF for the 5 day free trial. I have been playing around with it but can't seem to find a way to plug in all the legs of our flight. Is it possible or do you have to do one leg at a time? Can price alert be set up or just alerts that tell you when an upgrade is available?

Thanks.

Thought I would ask about these prices. We haven't flown to Europe in many years so I really don't know what a "decent" price may be.

I checked this one direct and on 4 online sites.

The best I am getting for booking 4 tickets at one time for multi-destination of New Orleans to Venice, Barcelona to Copenhagen, Copenhagen to New Orleans (with what I consider ideal times and layovers, one stop each way to Europe):

Expedia - $1798.40

Travelocity - 2 hour layover instead of 4 on the way back - $1848

This is total per person.

Any thoughts on these prices?

I am going to post a new thread just in case this is overlooked.

I have been playing around with it but can't seem to find a way to plug in all the legs of our flight. Is it possible or do you have to do one leg at a time?
If you're looking at availability by booking class, you can specify a one-way trip or a round trip but nothing more complex than that. Each trip may return non-stop, direct or connecting itineraries.
Can price alert be set up or just alerts that tell you when an upgrade is available?
AFAIK, alerts are only for availability by booking class and seat allocations.

Archived