Grand or Caribbean Princess - Southern route out of Fort Lauderdale

lovevacadays

I would pick the Grand because I'd like to see what they've done to her, plus -- and this is very important to me, personally -- no shaded aft pool. I never did like the shopping-cart-handle's effect on that area of the ship. So, to me, the CB combines the worst of the Grand-class: shaded aft pool and the extra 500 passengers. I can't imagine ever sailing her unless she's the only option for an itinerary I wanted to do right that minute.

This is akin to the Grand vs. Ruby thread on the same page. I am one of those who would pick the Grand for the space ratio.

Thanks. I'll check out that thread. Are the Ruby and Caribbean Princess the exact same layout, etc? I know the Ruby is a sister ship to the Crown which I've sailed but I thought the Caribbean might be a bit different and I think the Grand is as well.

I would pick the Grand because I'd like to see what they've done to her, plus -- and this is very important to me, personally -- no shaded aft pool. I never did like the shopping-cart-handle's effect on that area of the ship. So, to me, the CB combines the worst of the Grand-class: shaded aft pool and the extra 500 passengers. I can't imagine ever sailing her unless she's the only option for an itinerary I wanted to do right that minute.

I'm not sure what you mean by the shopping-cart-jandles effect on that ship. Can you explain? Does the Grand have an aft pool area?

I would definitely choose the Grand. With all the new additions it would seem to me to be a no brainer. We were on the last voyage of the Grand before her refurbishment in March of this year and I would love to see her new body!;) We have not been on the Caribbean Princess but we loved the Grand even with the "shopping cart handle." We had the most awesome cabin - E729 and it was a very special cruise due to the fact that we knew this was to be the last cruise before the "beheading" of Skywalkers.

Go for the Grand!:D

I would definitely choose the Grand. With all the new additions it would seem to me to be a no brainer. We were on the last voyage of the Grand before her refurbishment in March of this year and I would love to see her new body!;) We have not been on the Caribbean Princess but we loved the Grand even with the "shopping cart handle." We had the most awesome cabin - E729 and it was a very special cruise due to the fact that we knew this was to be the last cruise before the "beheading" of Skywalkers.

Go for the Grand!:D

Thank you. Please explain the "shopping cart handle". I don't get what this is. And, I do remember reading a post about the Grand getting rid of Skywalkers. What is in this space now and is there something comparable in another venue?

The 'shopping cart handle' refers to the profile of the ships that have Skywalkers perched out over the aft pool. Your avatar has pretty good view of it on the back of the ship. That list is currently the Star, Golden and CB. The others have Skywalkers closer to the deck and moved a bit forward. The Grand had her handle removed (as in welding torches cut it off) during the last dry dock and a new club called One Five was created out of some less-used venues on deck 15.

I'm not sure what you mean by the shopping-cart-jandles effect on that ship. Can you explain? Does the Grand have an aft pool area?

As Cheryl and/or tk has just explained, the shopping-cart handle refers to the position of Skywalker's disco, stuck up there over the aft portion of the ship. Here's a photo of the CB:

Sorry-- photo didn't copy.

Caribbean princess

There is an aft pool on the Grand and so, like the pool in the above photo, that area was in shade much of the day while Skywalker's was still there. I don't do shade.

Was on the refurbished Grand in August and would recommend her over the Caribbean. CB has been around for a number of years now and is starting to show her age. With 500 fewer passengers I would choose the Grand. The Grand still has the covered adults only pool in the Conservatory. The One5 lounge and a wedding chapel replaced Skywalkers disco. We liked what they did with the Atrium and enjoyed a lunch at Alfredo's Pizzeria on deck 5 (no charge). After pizza you can get a dessert at the International Cafe next door (also no charge).

Archived