Family cruise with a 15 month old – Norwegian Jewel or Gem?

xiaoluojie

We are planning our first vacation as a family, and have our eyes on Norwegian Jewel or Gem leaving on December 17th, or 18th.. This is our third cruise, but the first cruise with our 15 month old baby.. I have a lot of questions :oso would really appreciate if anyone can provide any insights. Not sure where would be the best place to post so I will just post the same questions on both the family cruise board, and the Norwegian board..

Q1: Which ship would be a better choice for us? I know that the two ships are almost identical, Gem a bit newer with bowling alley and rock climbing (doubt that we will do either), Jewel with the Nickelodeon characters (our son is still too young to care).. I guess that our baby will be mostly walking excitedly all over the place for the majority of the time. He’s too young to get into the kids’ club, but I am wondering whether there are any areas on either ship that are designed for young toddlers to play around with parents watching (sort of like a playground)? I guess I am really trying to decide which cruise will be better for the baby? For us parents we just would like to get away from our busy daily routines and most importantly, to not have to cook for him for an entire week (crazily picky little eater)!

Q2: Would a balcony room be enough for 3 of us? I think we will end up co-sleeping as my son refuses to sleep in other beds unless with a parent by his side, so not sure whether the bed will be big enough.. Do all the balcony rooms have a pull out sofa?

Q3: Where would be good places to look for good deals for the NCL? Is now a good time to book? Or I can wait a bit to see if the price will go down as the date gets closer? I saw that the price dropped for 1-2 days last week, but went up again. Not sure whether anyone knows what kind of pattern they have, or rather, it’s just as predictable as our stock market these days?

Q4: Will we have trouble getting whole milk on the ship? Where would be the best place to ask for it? The buffet station?

Q5: We have been on a Celebrity Cruise and a Royal Caribbean one. We loved the food on the Celebrity and were somewhat disappointed by the Royal Caribbean. I know that it’s quite a subjective topic, but just wondering how you would compare the NCL food to the other two cruise lines’? And for those who have been on both Jewel and Gem, which ship offers better food in your opinion?

Q6: Do I need to bring a baby bathtub with me or there are other good ways to give him a good wash?

Q7: Anything to recommend for shore excursion other than taking the baby for a stroll? Or he will be too young for all of the activities?

Q8: Since the ship leaves in NYC in December, should we be prepared to dress for winter for the embarking day only? Or the next day would be chilly as well?

Sorry for so many questions… Many many thanks in advance.…

1. I don't know that there's a big difference. Nothing for under two year olds; no babysitting, no playroom.

2. I think so.

3. Don't think you will find many bargains for sailing this week; too many people on vacation.

4. Don't know.

5. Food is subjective, but I think the food is worse on NCL. Don't know why there would be a difference between ships.

6. Bring a small blow-up pool you can use on deck (since he won't be allowed in the pools) and in the shower.

7. You can check the age requirements for the cruise ship excursions. You may want to book private excursions if you don't want to just go to the beach or walk around.

8. First couple of days.

The beds when made into 1 bed, are slightly larger than a queen, but not quite as large as a king....should be ample room unless the adults are larger folk.

Whole milk should be avail. in the buffet and all dining rooms. If, for some reason, you have to use 2%, it won't hurt baby for a couple of days!

You'll need to research excursions...on some, babies are NOT allowed, on others, they may come, but of course, not participate....it varies from excursion to excursion.

In Dec, you can never tell how far-reaching a cold front might be....in the last couple of years, cold fronts have sunk deeply past Florida....

1. There's not a lot of difference between ships from the same line. Just choose the itinerary you like best. Since there's nothing for the baby, you need to choose whats best for you, and not the child.

2. Not all rooms have a pull out sofa. You need to either look at the brochure or call a travel agent.

3. For holiday sailings, you're not going to see much savings. The longer you wait, the less cabin selection you'll have----you'll be stuck with the leftovers.

4. You can get milk anywhere.

5. I've done a couple of NCL cruises and won't go on that line again. Just my opinion, but I found the food and service greatly lacking. And again, you're talking about ships from the same line, so there's no difference.

6. Bring a small blow up pool for the shower to bathe the baby. Remember, there is no place for a diapered infant to swim. They are not allowed into pools or hot tubs.

7. Many excursions have age limits. Just look for something that interests you and see if it allows babies.

8. It will be cold, and possibly have rougher seas, the first two and last two days of the cruise.

Thanks so much for all the replies! Very helpful... Seems like quite a few folks were not too thrilled with NCL's food.. I guess we will have to lower our expectations..

I am wondering that for those cold first 2 and last 2 days on the ship, do we still need to dress warmly even being inside? I am talking about the restaurants, shops, bars, etc..

For the inflatable tub, does anyone have any recommendations? I found this which looks very easy to be squeezed into luggages, but wonder whether this will be too small for bathing as my son is 28 lbs already..

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-INX59409-My-First-Pool/dp/B0001GE2AM/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1318188448&sr=8-11

That tub is perfect you can also use it on deck by the pool so your little one can splash around. I use a inflatable pirate boat in the cabin as it's a bit smaller. http://www.americansale.com/Products/Intex-Cruiser-Inflatable-Pool-Floats__019705.aspx

And a whale pool by the pool since it is a little bigger and with 3 kids they all like to splash in it.

We cruise out of new York and the next morning you are off the coast of Virginia so it's not too bad. Usually they have the retractable roof (if your ship has one) over the pool. The next day you are in florida. So it's really just the day you leave. I do pants the first day and then capris on the second and second to last days. Inside it's probably 70'degrees.

That tub is perfect you can also use it on deck by the pool so your little one can splash around. I use a inflatable pirate boat in the cabin as it's a bit smaller. http://www.americansale.com/Products/Intex-Cruiser-Inflatable-Pool-Floats__019705.aspx

And a whale pool by the pool since it is a little bigger and with 3 kids they all like to splash in it.

Thanks so much!! This inflatable pool looks really cool! Will get one for my kid..

Sorry, another dumb question - how do you inflate this on the ship? Does it come with some sort of pump?

Archived