Should I cancel or not???

jtdlmc

Currently booked on the Jewel for 2013. Have been on one Carnival cruise earlier this year. We wanted to give NCL a try just to try a different cruise line. Our ports are Cozumel, Grand Caymen, Ochos Rios and Great Stirrup Cay. The only one I'm excited about is GSC. We've been to Coz and Grand Caymen. Did not really like Coz and now on another board where they are discussing Ochos Rios, it sounds like a large number of people call it a ship day due to the aggressiveness of the vendors there. That's what we didn't like about Mexico but apparently O.R. is much, much worse - in Mexico you can say no thanks and keep walking - apparently in O.R. that doesn't work!

NCL offers no cruises in April 2013 that have ports that really excite us - other than GSC. I've found another line offering their private island, Grand Turk, St. Thomas and San Juan - which do excite us much more than the NCL ports. This other cruise is about $200 more which is no big deal.

What would you do - cruise for the ports or to try another cruise line???

Currently booked on the Jewel for 2013. Have been on one Carnival cruise earlier this year. We wanted to give NCL a try just to try a different cruise line. Our ports are Cozumel, Grand Caymen, Ochos Rios and Great Stirrup Cay. The only one I'm excited about is GSC. We've been to Coz and Grand Caymen. Did not really like Coz and now on another board where they are discussing Ochos Rios, it sounds like a large number of people call it a ship day due to the aggressiveness of the vendors there. That's what we didn't like about Mexico but apparently O.R. is much, much worse - in Mexico you can say no thanks and keep walking - apparently in O.R. that doesn't work!

NCL offers no cruises in April 2013 that have ports that really excite us - other than GSC. I've found another line offering their private island, Grand Turk, St. Thomas and San Juan - which do excite us much more than the NCL ports. This other cruise is about $200 more which is no big deal.

I do agree about Ocho Rio, I have been on 2 cruises there and only go off the ship on the first one. Now personally I would not cancel, but that is because I like Cozumel and Grand Cayman. But, based on what you have stated I would most likely cancel and book the other cruise that you mention.

GSC is a tender port. Unlucky me, two of my three scheduled visits to GSC were cancelled to unsafe tendering conditions. So, though I cruise mostly for the ship rather than ports, I would not select a cruise where the only port of interest is a tender port.

Epic is doing Eastern Caribbean in April 2013. Sun is doing an 11 nighter with great ports. maybe look at those. Or, if the other unnamed cruise line suits you, take it.

Well since in my research most of NCL's ports are available in April 2013, and none of those excite you. I would have to recommend NCL may not be the line for you to try.

How about trying something different in Cozumel and Grand Caymen? For instance, in Cozumel you could go to Chankanaab National Park and enjoy the beach without ever dealing with aggressive vendors. I've never been to Grand Caymen, but my guess is there are tours or excursions you could book that would be completely different from whatever you did on your other visit.

As much as I am an NCL fan, I would never book a cruise based entirely on GSC. Not a wow factor! GSC is getting upgrades, however, IMO not something you would want to base your entire cruise experience on. I agree with your concerns with the other ports you mentioned. That being said, unfortunately, I would be shopping for another itinerary, even if it meant another line.

Great Stirrup Cay is an NCL purchased island that they are slowly turning into a family friendly 'amusement park' (not really exactly right, but...) It is owned by the company and they sell admission to their big 'slide' and rent out snorkel equipment, offer on-beach massages, etc. There is a beach where you can lay out (pretty crowded) and a 'free' barbeque during the day.

My husband and I sometimes take the weekend cruises that include this stop (and it has also been included on a few longer caribbean cruises, too). We got off once for a weekend one and once for a longer cruise and have opted against it since. I like staying on board and getting spa treatments at 20% off over going to this 'faux' island. MANY PEOPLE LOVE IT - just not my thing. If you like party atmosphere and don't mind the lack of actual 'culture' (given this is only inhabited by NCL employees) you may love it, too!! If not - cancel now. Either way - enjoy a wonderful vacation!! :)

It seems I should cancel but I so want to try NCL!!! The Epic does visit 3 ports that we would like to go to but at an additional $1000 for the 4 of us which I am not willing to pay. We could do different things than we did last time at Cozumel and Grand Caymen, but we would kind of like to go places we haven't been before. I'm still pondering the pros and cons of both cruises. I guess if we choose not to go with NCL to the Caribbbean, we can consider them for Alaska.

My wife and I took our first cruise quite some time ago and 2 of the stops were Cozumel and Grand Caymen. In Cozumel we got off the ship, wandered around and shopped and stopped at a local cantina for lunch. I was worried about the water so I stuck to beer :-) We didn't even go on an excursion and there were many to choose from. On GC we went to Sting ray city and it was awesome. Try that if you haven't. If not, head to the beach. I'd go to both places again because there is alot to do in both places.

You will have fun regardless what you decide. Good luck!

Don't get too excited about GSC. It's fine for a day at the beach, but not otherwise something to get excited about. And as someone mentioned, if weather is bad, you might have to skip it.

So, I'd cancel this booking and try either the other NCL itinerary or the book on the other line.

GSC will one day be a great place to spend some time...certainly by 2013, you would think. As for Mexico and Jamaica, like much of the impoverished 3rd world, it is what it is. Personally, I like Bermuda the best of all. The population is largely middle class, laid back and respectful of the guests that visit.

It seems I should cancel but I so want to try NCL!!! The Epic does visit 3 ports that we would like to go to but at an additional $1000 for the 4 of us which I am not willing to pay. We could do different things than we did last time at Cozumel and Grand Caymen, but we would kind of like to go places we haven't been before. I'm still pondering the pros and cons of both cruises. I guess if we choose not to go with NCL to the Caribbbean, we can consider them for Alaska.

wait for 2013 and book Breakaway from NYC :)

on Caribbean - GSC is wonderful. fish eat out of your hands, it's fantastic and only will be ruined by development the more they add to the island.

I was at GSC during our September 4th cruise that was supposed to go to Bermuda.

Great Stirrup Cay is nothing to write home about. In fact, it was hot, crowded, and was more like a very large expanse of concrete with a few hundred beach chairs than an island in the Bahamas.

That being said, if that's the only port you are looking forward to exploring, you will be disappointed.

Don't let the vendors scare you away from Jamacia. I have been there several times and really like it. It actually is a beautiful island with great, friendly people.

Cozumel is another favorite of ours. We always rent a jeep and drive around the island. Can't get lost and there are some beautiful beaches. This time around we are going to dive there so I am really looking forward to going.

if all you care about is GSC i really wouldnt book NCL just for that--just saying!!

No that's not all we care about - maybe you didn't read my original post or didn't understand what it was I was trying to say. We like the chance to try another cruise line. We like all the food options on NCL. I think we would like the shows on NCL. We also like port intensive cruises so we can go to places we haven't been before, of which we thought GSC and Ochos Rios would be nice, but after reading a few threads on Jamaica this weekend, I've came to the conclusion that we will not like it there at all. We have already been to the other two ports - Cozumel and Grand Caymen, so GSC is the only new port that we would go to. Cozumel didn't impress us much - we don't like pesky vendors which is why I'm saying I know we won't like the extremely aggressive vendors in O.R.

once you get away from the pesky vendours, jamaica is a beautiful place. im sure even in cozumel if you were on a shore excursion you would have a great time. Give it a try. Im doing this same itinerary on ncl pearl next march because I wanted to try another cruiseline , and because i wanted to go to ocho rios. carnival offered a cruise that was less $$ but I chose ncl to try something new. If the itinerary doesnt appeal you you, why not try ncl epic?

I understand how hard it is to choose the right cruise, and to wonder if you've made the right decision. good luck with whatever you decide to do

I would choose itinerary over ship, you can cruise ncl another time when you find a ship offering the itinerary that you want. personally im looking foward to all the ports you mentioned and im glad to be trying ncl for the first time too! The reason I didnt choose epic was because I have been to all the ports, I loved them but want to go to places I havent been. The reason I didnt choose carnival was because I wanted to see what a different cruiseline was like. I had the same predicament as you but im happy with my choice, I hope you find something that you are happy with

I would choose itinerary over ship, you can cruise ncl another time when you find a ship offering the itinerary that you want. personally im looking foward to all the ports you mentioned

I agree this is the itinerary we are looking at and looking forward to for the first of the new year. We've been to Jamaica years ago and yes they can be pushy. But we intend to take an excursion to enjoy places we haven't been to in years and see places we never got to see. From my experience years ago tour operators are pretty good to keep the locals at bay if you wish, which is why we will book an excursion there. I'm sure they only do that thinking they will get a bigger tip ;). We have found this same thing as the OP said in Mexico and in many other Caribbean places we have been, as well as Columbia. But it can be more overwhelming to some people than others. I always found the one thing you don't do is buy from one because then they have a tendency to almost swarm around you.

I was really worried about the pushy vendors in Ochos Rios too. We booked a private excursion with Marva Shaw. It went to the Dunn's River Falls and River tubing. It was great! They shuttled us from place to place and kept us away from the pushy vendors. They also told us to exit the falls through the entrance instead of going through the pushy straw market place, and that worked like a charm. It ended up being one of our favorite excursions/ports of all our cruises.

Maggie

Jamaica Ochos Rios is a great port, been there 7 or 8 times and have also vacationed in Jamaica about 5 times, beautifull island. Never had problem with locals ( just say no and keep walking ) great Margheriaville walking distance with a swim up bar, need to see Shaw park also.

Archived