New passengers Ft. Lauderdale to NY?

luvcruisn'

I am sailing on the Veendam from Santiago, which stops in Fort Lauderdale on April 19, and continues on to New York and arrives on Apr. 22. On the west coast there is usually a 3 night cruise from San Diego to Vancouver, but I couldn't find anything similar from Fort Lauderdale to New York. As many passengers will be departing in Fort Lauderdale, will HAL not fill those cabins? It seems the next cruise is departing New York to Bermuda on April 22.

Based on what you say, they can't fill those cabins because they would be in violation of the PVSA (sometimes mistakenly referred to as the Murphy Act.) Essentially a non US flag ship can not carry passengers between two US ports (FLL & NYC... new passengers can't join the ship in FLL) without calling at a distant foreign port (as opposed to a near foreign port.) The only distant foreign port in this hemisphere are the ABC Islands and South America, Canada, Mexico, all of Central America, Bermuda and the Caribbean are considered "near."

Hope this helps:).

Right -- there are no foreign ports scheduled between Ft Lauderdale and New York. Thus no new passengers can get on in Ft Lauderdale.

That is why if you look at HAL's site -- only people who got on in a couple of the foreign ports before Ft Lauderdale can stay on the ship until it gets to New York.

Wales, not Ireland. ;) The PVSA is sometimes mistakenly referred to as the Jones Act.

Just where did Murphy come from? What a laugh!! I went back and re-read my response before I posted and kept thinking something is wrong.... I just could not figure out what was seemingly out of place. You found it, Thanks:D:o!

Just where did Murphy come from? What a laugh!! I went back and re-read my response before I posted and kept thinking something is wrong.... I just could not figure out what was seemingly out of place. You found it, Thanks:D:o!

murphy_was_an_optimist_murphys_law_card-p137849220733953267q0yk_400.jpg

Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong". :D

Don't forget the other half of that saying..... "And when it does it will happen at the worst possible moment.";):D The story of my life!

We did the reverse of this (New York to Ft. Lauderdale) last year (sigh, exactly last year) and the ship was half full.........everybody was relaxed and we talked about having out ship "messed up" by all those people boarding in FL. The kicker was, the cruise was the same price from NY as it was for Ft. L.

Don't forget the other half of that saying..... "And when it does it will happen at the worst possible moment.";):D The story of my life!

Murphy was an optimist!!

Archived