Travel documents for 10 year old....

jenr

We just found out yesterday that my 10 year old niece will be joining us on our upcoming "girls only" cruise. Her mom will be sailing also. In order for her mom to take her out of the country do they (her and her husband) need to do something to allow her to take their daughter on the cruise? Also, what type of documents does my niece need to board the ship? Just her birth certificate since she doesnt drive yet??? Thanks!

Her mom will need a notarized letter saying that the dad approves of his child leaving the country. She will also need a photo ID. It can be anything as long as it has her picture and her name on it.

a child under 16 does not need a photo id. THat is for people 16 and over.

The niece will need a certified copy of a birth certificate Not the hospital one. (and take a letter although I doubt that it will be asked for)

I hate to differ but a child under 16 does need a picture id. On our last cruise in February 2005 on Princess at embarkation I was asked for a picture id for my 7 year old. I told the woman I didn't have one and she said she would have to take her to another room and ask her questions without any family members present. Just before they left the room I remembered that I had a baseball card from her T-ball team that had her name and picture on it and they took that as a picture id. My 15 year old showed her high school id.

We have sailed princess before and was never asked form a picture id for either of my kids. But the woman said after January 1st of this year everyone regardless of age had to have a picture id.

If you can get a passport do so. I know it is a bite, almost $400.00 for four of us (mine expired about 5 years ago. I have been "getting away with photo ID and birth cert but no longer I think) but worth it. Also get the letter. I know most people never are asked for it but it sucks to be the first.

Does this state anywhere online that a child needs a photo id? Where would one get such an id since our DMV does not do children under 12?

My next booking will be princess and I will be taking a 10 year old at the time. I been up and down the web site looking for what I will need for that child and nothing was said about a photo id.

Well I am back and answering my own question.... I finally had a chance to call Carnival today and they told me that for passengers under 16 they do not need a photo ID, just official birth certificate or passport. And as far as having a letter saying that its ok for my SIL to take my niece out of the country (her parents are married) the Carnival agent said it isnt necessary for the cruise, but might be a good idea to have just in case something happens while in port!

First, I think these boards are great, as a first time cruiser with children, I have been reading and learning for days now. I didn't even think about picture ID for my three boys. I do have the original birth certificates (with raised seals) and that's what I was planning to use. I'm happy to hear that this is accepted on Carnival. We are traveling to the Eastern Carib. at the end of this month.:)

Depends on how old your boys ae- kids under 16 do not need a photo id.

I was up and down Princess' web page and cant find that information. I called an agent but sometimes I don tthink those people know what they are talking about.

I dont relish the idea of a 7 year old to be taken and questioned. Were you able to go with her? I would also ask-- for them to show me where in the documents does it say that a 7 year old needs a photo id.

I have cruised twice with my kids and are about to go again. You do not need picture ID for kids under 16 (at least with Celebrity, RCL or Carnival). Just the raised seal Birth Certificate. I would bring a photo with you though just in case of an emergency.

Years ago my son's youth group at church went down to Mexico for a mission's trip. Most of the young people going were under the age of 16 and didn't have a driver's licence. They had to go down to DMV to get a California state ID to use with their passport or birth certificate. In CA I think that it costs $20, but I'm not sure anymore of the price.

My son was lucky he still had a current passport and a military ID card, so he was all set.

serene56 I remember as they were coming to get her that I had a baseball card with her picture and name on it and they took that as a picture ID.

We had sailed on Princess before even on the same ship and hadn't been as to show picture for either of my daughters. Both are under 16 and had to show ID's. The oldest one is 15 so she had her school ID with her.

I asked why and was told it had to do with new policies and homeland security.

Serene56 it has to have a name on it too. Like I said I never needed one before for either girl but I'm just going to get passports for them so I won't be caught in that situation again.

I am a teacher and take students out of the country every summer.

ALL my students MUST travel with a passport ( and I carry 2 photo copies of the front pages) and a letter from their notorized parents showing that I have legal custody of them for the dates we TRAVEL (not just out of our country) NO MATTER THEIR AGE.

My TA said that my daugher, who is traveling with me this summer on a cruise, must have a notorized letter from her father stating that he is aware and is in agreement with her travel out of the country. We ARE married.

With the new, stricter re-entry laws our government has established why would you even hesitate to get a passport and letter? I would rather be OVER prepared than left standing at the pier.

Nliedel: Send your old Passport in with 2 new 2x2 pics and form DS-82 and it will only costy you 67.00 for a renewal.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/renew/renew_833.html

If I could find the darn thing.. which I cannot. My husband says he thinks he might have destroyed it last year in the move (I was in the hospital for 8 weeks during the move trying not to have little JJ too early). He says he found it and thinks he cut it up because it was expired. He did not know it could save us money. I am not too upset about it since he single handedly moved us, watched the three other boys and brought me "real food" almost every day. He had enough on his plate :)

We are cruising next week on Princess with our 2 and 5 year olds. I don't have photo IDs for them and it's obviously too late to get a passport! I found this on the princess web site (http://www.princess.com/onboard/answer/ready.html)

"Although recommended, photo identification is not required for those 18 years and younger"

I intend to print out this page an bring it along just incase anyone demands a picture ID for them.

ljaustin what port are you sailing out of? We went out of Ft Lauderdale and by not having a photo id (well I did but didn't realize it until 30 minutes had past) the whole embarkation process too way more then it should have. We actually were the last ones to board the ship and we got there at 2:30 that's how long it took.

Also look at that document that you plan on taking with you it is way out dated. Look at the ships it lists at the end that is the old Crown Princess they list it doesn't have the Star Princess or the Caribbean Princess so it is at least 3 years old and a lot of things have changed in those years.

Excuse me for asking/intruding...

Do US citizens not require passports for cruising?

Here in the UK you need a passport to get out of/in to the country.

In fact I think we may even need a passport to fly internally (not something I've done without going on elsewhere as it's too expensive over here)

Also, our children need their own personal passports now too.

We have travelled several times w/ both of our DDs (who are well under 16) after 911 and never have we had to produce picture ids....three cruises and let's see ....5 land vacations- 50% out of country. So, I would be hard pressed to believe that Homeland Security warrants a photo id for those under 16. Just my experience......

Excuse me for asking/intruding...

Do US citizens not require passports for cruising?

Here in the UK you need a passport to get out of/in to the country.

In fact I think we may even need a passport to fly internally (not something I've done without going on elsewhere as it's too expensive over here)

Also, our children need their own personal passports now too.

All US citizens needed for cruise travel from our own ports is a raised seal birth certificate and photo id. That is all about to change starting Jan 1st 2006. Everyone will need a passport to cruise including children.

Archived