Help!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

grins88

Okay, I have lots of questions about Alaska. We are looking at a 7-night for the week of Sept. 17-25. First of all, is September a bad month for traveling to Alaska (weather, sightseeing, wildlife, etc.)? Next, I have narrowed it down to the Radiance vs. the Serenade (we have cruised RCCI before, and love them), but I would love input on which ship is preferred. Finally, we are looking at possibly flying to Seattle, then driving to Vancouver (partly due to better prices on airfare, and also because my husband thinks it would be a beautiful drive), so can anyone tell me about what kind of drive we are facing and whether or not that is a good plan? I would welcome any suggestions as we have never been on an Alaskan cruise before.

Hello1

A few things to think about...

Size of ship - the smaller ones can get closer to the glaciers so you might check that out. I was on the Princess Dawn (great ship) but we didn't get close to the glaciers much...on the NCL Wind (didn't care for the cruiseline) we hd a MUCH better experience with the glaciers. My parents went on RCCI years ago & had a MUCH better experience with glaciers also than on the Dawn.

Yes, weather will be more variable - that's why prices are cheaper in Sept. Just pack for some colder weather & rain possibilities. Mainly, more layers. I took a poncho on both of my Alaskan cruises & never used it - traveled last week in August on both trips.

In Sept. the shops are discounting much of their merchandise & the ship shops will do so also - with the Alaskan theme items anyway. I purchased salmon in the ship gift shop at 50% off .

Lots to do in Vancouver so you'll enjoy any extra time there. I'm not sure what the weather is like there in Sept. but you might consider checking out the train prices from Seattle to Vancouver. THen you wouldn't nned to worry about the weather, returning car, etc. Also, in Vancouver, as in many large cities, the hotel might charge to park your car overnight.

Happy cruising!

greatcruisinghome

September is rainy, historically. No one can predict this far in advance, but be prepared with waterproof (not water resistant) clothing. The drive will be lovely, but as the previous poster suggested, look into the train.

If you need to go off-season, I would suggest May rather than September. May is (historically again) the least wet. Cold and rainy can spoil a trip. I have friends who went and were caught in a summer storm in early June, and hated their trip. Once again, no one can predict the weather, but you should take trends into account, and if you go in September, pack waterproof clothing so you won't be cold and soaked.

Denise

so you should spend at least a day there before or after if you can.

I know there is a shuttle bus that will pick you up at SeaTac airport and take you to the pier in Vancouver. Look back at earlier links and you may find the link. For a group of 3 or more, it might make more sense to rent a car if you really don't want to fly to Vancouver (one way rental each way.)

Lots to do in Vancouver so you'll enjoy any extra time there. I'm not sure what the weather is like there in Sept. but you might consider checking out the train prices from Seattle to Vancouver. THen you wouldn't nned to worry about the weather, returning car, etc. Also, in Vancouver, as in many large cities, the hotel might charge to park your car overnight.

Vancour in September is one of the best months of the year. Almost (?) guaranteed sunshine. It's my favourite month (and I was born and raised here!).

Going that late to Alaska is a big gamble, usually temps 40-50, average 3 days of rain, dusk by 7pm. These used to be big bargain cruises, no longer in my opinion. I don't recommend past the first week of Sept for first timers, just better all the way around in my experience. ANY wildlife viewing will requires tours, if a priority, not likely to see much otherwise.

Size of ship - the smaller ones can get closer to the glaciers so you might check that out. I was on the Princess Dawn (great ship) but we didn't get close to the glaciers much...on the NCL Wind (didn't care for the cruiseline) we hd a MUCH better experience with the glaciers. My parents went on RCCI years ago & had a MUCH better experience with glaciers also than on the Dawn.

You can't categorize all cruise lines with ship size.

All of RCCL's ships in Alaska this year are equal to or larger then Princess' Dawn Princess. The Radiance and Serenade are about 13,000 tonns larger then the Dawn Princess.

As far as how close the ship (of the mass lines) gets to the glaciers is mostly determined by ice and water conditions.

There is a Quick Coach Shuttle that goes specifically between Vancouver and Seattle. They specialize in border crossings, and I was told on this board that the busses get priority at the border. If in a private car, there could be a wait to go thru customs. And the car driver has to watch the road and will not see as many beautiful sights to the right and left, so that is something to think about. We have reserved seats on the quickshuttle for pick up at the pier area, Canada Place and drop off at either downtown Seattle or SeaTac. We are staying two extra days in Vancouver at the Sheraton Wall Center, giving the transfer a day of it's own, leaving Vancouver at 10:30 am and staying in downtown Seattle that extra day, so are being dropped off at the hotel, the Best Western Exec Inn near the Space Needle. The cost was something like $66 pp, I think. Admittedly more expensive than the rental car, but also more convenient and both of us can look at the sights. Here is a link: http://www.quickcoach.com/

As for traveling in September, we were searching for the bargain rates on cruises too, so considered Sept and May, but these boards reported more likely rain in Sept, so we are going in late May. If you can change your dates, you should consider doing so, IMO. Either way, I hear Alaska is spectacular and you will have a great trip.

Strongly suggest you read through the past month or two of postings. You will get even more responses than what you have already rec'd.

And PLEASE in your next posting, make the subject line more descriptive, other than HELP?!

Archived