Ice Packs

barb-ottawa

Looking forward to my cruise on the Jewel next week. I have problems with my back and find it helpful to use an icepack every evening. I brought a gel pack with me last time, but discovered that the fridge in our balcony suite did not have a freezer, so I couldn't get it frozen. Any suggestions as to how I can have a frozen gel pack available to me every evening?

They will not store passenger's personal property in the ship freezers. I believe the various health agencies do not allow it. My hubby uses gel ice packs every day, but for travel where we will not have access to a true freezer, he brings a traditional soft ice pack (the kind with a wide mouth and screw on top). It's the easiest and best way for travel, IMO. Ziplock bags are fine in a pinch, but they are more liable to be pierced by ice or leak.

beachchick

As others mentioned, bring an old-fashioned ice bag. Talk to your steward and ask him if he'll fill it every evening when he fills the ice container. Leave it next to the ice container for him.

Or, if you need it during the day several times, ask the steward to fill it in the morning as well. Then, during the day you can also fill it from the ice machine in the buffet.

I would tip the steward extra at the end of the cruise for filling the ice bag if that's what you have him do.

You can also get disposable ice packs at the pharmacy or I've even gotten them at the grocery store where I shop (near the bandaids and such). When you need one, you just give it a good shake which activates it for a single use. When finished, throw it away. As I recall, they were not terribly expensive.

-Joanne

You can also get disposable ice packs at the pharmacy or I've even gotten them at the grocery store where I shop (near the bandaids and such). When you need one, you just give it a good shake which activates it for a single use. When finished, throw it away. As I recall, they were not terribly expensive.

-Joanne

Yes they are convienient, but also heavy to schlep around (I know I needed several on my last cruise) they are also taking up space in the garbage hold. I never thought about an old fashioned ice bag and it is indeed light and easy to smoosh into a suitcase without much space being taken up.

I sometimes need to ice my knee. I made a flannel pack, just somewhat larger than my knee. I put a velcro closure on it. And I carry sandwich size ziploc bags. When I need ice, I fill the sandwich bag, but the flannel takes the harsh chill off it, and the temp is perfect. I have even stopped and filled it at Mcdonalds when I've needed to. It packs flat as so the bags. No problem.

As someone who needs both heat and ice on my back(thanks to 6 blown discs, 1 Fusion, and one AK-47 round near my spine)on any one day(sitting on the heat massager on my office chair right now in fact!), I carry the Solid Ice "bricks" that are blue in color on any trip. I keep them inside a large ziplock(2 of them-DW needs one for her damaged facet joints as well) when they need to be "chilled' we just dump ice on them, and 10-15 mins later they're ready to rock...

Bill(DrFootball)

"I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade."-The Warriors' Creed…

Bill's Brainiac Random Quote Generator V0.95 final beta for Mac

Along the same lines. My DD does not sweat I know it sounds great but trust me its not. She has a "Ice vest" she has to have to go off ship.

On Royal our room stewart will always take it to a freezer and return it to us before we leave, we have never had a problem. We tip very well for this extra help cause its so very important to us.

I just assumed NCL would do the same. They won't?

It freezes at 50 so it can be "frozen" in a bucket or tub of ice but its dry and easier to handle when laid flat. Its very special and expensive ice.

We have a Family Mini suite so should have a tub but thats a lot of ice to freeze that sucker.

Archived