Mexican Riviera in the Middle of Spring Break?

Cras108er

So my subject line says it all. We are considering taking a 9-day cruse out of San Diego in the middle of March (Carnival Spirit). I have heard so many horror stories about spring break cruises. I am wondering what other's thoughts/experiences might be.

As far as information about us, we are a "young middle age " couple. We like to have fun just like anyone else, but we're not looking to spend a week and a half with a bunch of drunk co-eds either. What are otheer's thoughts?

Also, what can we expect in terms of weather and rough seas?

We are booked on the March 16th sailing and I am not worried about the drunk co-eds.... Mostly because it may give me someone to dance with. :D

Actually, there are 2 things working in our favor. The first is that the older spring breakers usually take shorter cruises. A 9 day cruise would wipe out your entire break and you would miss the keggers and the beach outings with the masses. Additionally, I think the majority of colleges have their spring break on one side or the other of Easter. That would put it during the March 30th sailing moreso than the March 16th sailing.

Now, that all being said, I do know of some schools on spring break that week. Most of them are high schools and elementary schools. So you will be more likely to get screaming kids running down the halls than drunk co-eds. I guess if you want to avoid ANY spring breaks, the March 2nd sailing would be your best bet. There would be very few breakers on that sailing.

As for the weather, it is unpredictable. Going on past experience, we have taken 3 cruises to the area just south of this cruise in early February and all 3 were awesome. High 80's in Acapulco and Ixtapa and mid 80's in Manzanillo. It will likely be a bit cooler as you go north, but it's also a month later than our past cruises.

Hope this helps.

Bob

We are also on the Mar.16 cruise.

We went last year on a similar itinerary that left on Mar.11. We were very impressed with the behavior of the young children and teens on board with their families.

We had no trouble at all and even found them polite and helpful.

We are retired X teachers and have little patience for obnoxious younguns so I'd say "Don't worry!"You won't find many college spring breakers on these 9 day cruises.

We had great weather in Mexico!! It can be a little cool in San Diego but we were in shorts the rest of the time!

Come join us. We have a nice Roll Call going in the Roll Call area of this site!!

We sailed out of San Diego on our first cruise- Spring Break. No issues at all. We have also sailed out of Long Beach, Galveston, and Port Canaveral on Spring Break. Never had any problems or seen anything untoward. I think it may be the shorter cruises maybe that are a problem? Or perhaps kids have started doing land based trips? Yes there were a lot of kids on board but that seems to be true a lot of the time. Anyway, relax and enjoy your cruise.

I take a Mexican Riviera spring break cruise every year in March, and don't find obnoxious "spring break" parties at all. The weather is nice.

You can still go whale watching independently for a great price in Cabo. I do have to say that the water was COLD though. It takes a strong determination to dive off the the boat (followed by 10 minutes of gasping to get used to the cold) to go snorkeling in Manzanillo. Even in La Paz, I spend more time on the beach than in the water.

We have sailed this itinerary in March twice. We had no problem with partiers. I will say that both times I was cold. Once in Mexico it was comfortable, but on they way there and the way back it was cold on deck. I found that I could not enjoy the pool as much because of the wind.

The whole month of March is spring break. Our school district is off at the end of March and the local university is on break the 1st week of April.

The shorter cruises tend to have more partiers. The worst cruise we were ever on was a 4 day at the beginning of February & not during a holiday.

The weather in SD will probably be cool and overcast, but Mexico should be nice and warm.

Hi Riffatsea and Xbatt8! I wonder if anyone else from our roll call willl post on this thread.

Archived