No Kids in CL but Adults at DreamWorks Breakfast & Getting Face-Painting??

#1 should parents travelling with a family with a child also be banned? Or allowed to see the fun.

#2 we meet this little boy earlier in our cruise and enjoyed him so we sat at the next table. The agrument that if adults go they hate kids is getting old and simply not true, why else would I be taking pictures of a little boy who loved the character breakfast?

#3 These characters were all over the ship. You could not miss them if you tried. They were in the promenade for picture taking all the time. I know I saw the characters over and over and over. People are acting like this is the only time to get pictures with these characters

I think people who have never been and then conclude if a adult goes to this breakfast it proves they hate kids has got things backwards, and probably these adults love kids so much they love being around them. Lots of people drawing conclusions .. who have never been on Oasis or Allure and just dont know how often the characters are around on the ship. They were even out on the heliopad for the adults for one of the ports when they invited us for champange out there one day. These characters are all over the ship daily.

Oasis1138.jpg

#1 should parents travelling with a family with a child also be banned? Or allowed to see the fun.

#2 we meet this little boy earlier in our cruise and enjoyed him so we sat at the next table. The agrument that if adults go they hate kids is getting old and simply not true, why else would I be taking pictures of a little boy who loved the character breakfast?

#3 These characters were all over the ship. You could not miss them if you tried. They were in the promenade for picture taking all the time. I know I saw the characters over and over and over. People are acting like this is the only time to get pictures with these characters

I think people who have never been and then conclude if a adult goes to this breakfast it proves they hate kids has got things backwards, and probably these adults love kids so much they love being around them. Lots of people drawing conclusions .. who have never been on Oasis or Allure and just dont know how often the characters are around on the ship. They were even out on the heliopad for the adults for one of the ports when they invited us for champange out there one day. These characters are all over the ship daily.

Me thinks thou does protest too much. We get it. You don't hate kids. :rolleyes:

Also, Trainman got ripped apart for posting a photo of someone else's children. Put on your flame retardant suit.

Edited by yj2cute

I don't think that an adult is going to throw a fit if they couldn't get in either... so there is no "higher standard" as you would suggest. The point is that not everyone can go and if you didn't get a reservation spot then find something else to do. Everyone deserves to go and everyone has an opportunity to make a reservation. I will not sit here and dwell upon or feel sorry for those that didn't get one just as I wouldn't if I didn't get it either. I'd move on and do something else.

Bottom line, don't tell your children about the breakfast until you're sure they're going if you don't think they're mature enough to handle the fact that they might not get in to it. It is 100% the parents responsibility to take care of their childs emotional well being.

I believe the Character breakfasts are geared to the young and, from what I am reading, the young at heart. I, personally, would not go to a character breakfast without young children but, since RCCL allows it, who am I to judge.

Notwithstanding the above, I believe RCCL should give first crack at these precious spots to families travelling with kids ( under 12 ?) by giving them a 30 day window as of final payment date and, then open it up to anyone. RCCL should also set aside a few spots to be given out on board for those who are not internet savy.

I do agree with this poster that sometimes we parents ( I have 3 kids) indulge our children a little too much and are afraid to disappoint them. But, a life lesson is also in showing that sometimes we do not get what we want and, we make do and we go on. Geez, you are on a fantastic ship going to fantastic places...you are already privileged ! :D

I am booked on the Disney Fantasy next August and, as much as I would like to participate in the character breakfast then, if it doesn't happen I think my kids will not be overly traumatized and, still enjoy their cruise with Mickey.

One last thing, to the OP, I personally would not have taken those 2 spots thereby privileging one child over another. I think you would have a harder time substantiating that decision to the left-out child(ren) then having told everyone that these was no room for the FAMILY. I have twin boys and I would never have gotten away with that. :eek:

I did say the first part, but never said what you say people are saying. I never accused YOU of saying anything...heck, I may not even be talking about people on this thread!

Please dont put words in my mouth and make up what you think I mean.

I hate when people make up stuff to make their point. le grrrr.

me too:rolleyes:

I think too many people around here spend too much time trying to restrict too many people from doing too many things.:eek:

On FOS in April my 6 year old son waited patiently in line for 1 1/2 hours while mostly ADULTS got airbrushed tattoos, and not one at a time either.

The woman in front of us (in her 30s/40s) got 4 or 5 tattoos in 1 sitting, while my child waited to get 1. Does she suck, probably, but it's her right to do it, so who cares. If we didn't wanna wait, we coulda left.:p

Point is, if adults want to get their faces painted on their vacation, that's their right to do so. I might do it under the right circumstances, whether my kids were with me or not, it's fun, and I paid to be there, so as long as RCCL doesn't post a rule that it's for under 12 only, so be it.;)

Chill people.

I don't care to what age group RCI gears an activity, if an activity does not have age restriction, it should be "first come, first serve". Nor do I care, why some adults would want to participate in those activities - I am not a thought police and it really is none of my business.

If an adult without kids registers for a breakfast ahead a family with kids, then he/she should not be held responsible for children disappointment, children parents should! Parents are responsible to register in timely manner (even if it means monitoring RCI web-site on a daily basis to catch when the slots open up) - just like they are responsible for providing other things to their children, such as food and clothing.

Character breakfast, face painting, balloon twisting are not "life and death" situations and therefore society as whole does not have an obligation to ensure that kids get to participate in those activities, that is what kids have parents for.

Edited by DrLookGood

I cruise with twin 2 year olds (3 cruises in the last year) and now stay in family suites which work better with toddlers given the perks allotted including priority seating and room service so I feel since they pay full price for tickets they should be allowed in the lounge, that said, I do not bring them there since I feel adults should have a place to escape children and relax.

However the character breakfast is a place for children and should have first seating, if they are sold out I feel the cruise line should provide more seatings, families book these cruises for the childrens entertainment provided. As for the face painting why would an adult want their face painted? Again why isn't the cruise line providing more opportunities for the kids? I think you must make your voice heard to those in charge so that next time things are better.

I cruise with twin 2 year olds (3 cruises in the last year) and now stay in family suites which work better with toddlers given the perks allotted including priority seating and room service so I feel since they pay full price for tickets they should be allowed in the lounge, that said, I do not bring them there since I feel adults should have a place to escape children and relax.

However the character breakfast is a place for children and should have first seating, if they are sold out I feel the cruise line should provide more seatings, families book these cruises for the childrens entertainment provided. As for the face painting why would an adult want their face painted? Again why isn't the cruise line providing more opportunities for the kids? I think you must make your voice heard to those in charge so that next time things are better.

Couldn't agree more .

My kids are all grown , but when they were little , sure I took them to all these cartoon character , face painting , kid themed events .

But now that those days are over , why the heck would I want to sit through a character breakfast of walk around a ship with my face painted.

Let the kids have their fun.

Let the kids have their fun.

But forget about the adults... they're not allowed to have any. I find it amusing that everyone keeps talking about how the kids should come first and I'm not sure understand that sense of entitlement. Adults should be allowed to have just as much fun at the activities of their choice as well.

I was looking at the website and the kids do in fact get to see the characters during the Adventure Ocean program. I know the argument has been made that "this is a family vacation I want to spend time with my kids". But just think about how selfish your being by making them spend time with you instead of the characters in the camp. :)

Your kids will think they're dreaming when they get the chance to play with their favorite DreamWorks Animation characters at Adventure Ocean. Our award-winning Adventure Ocean youth program is already filled to the brim with exciting activities - just imagine how great it will be with characters like, Alex, Dragon, Shrek, Po and others making surprise appearances. The laughs will be unlimited as your kids interact with the characters in fun activities such as story time, dance parties and more. And remember, it's all included; no extra charge.

But forget about the adults... they're not allowed to have any. I find it amusing that everyone keeps talking about how the kids should come first and I'm not sure understand that sense of entitlement. Adults should be allowed to have just as much fun at the activities of their choice as well.

I was looking at the website and the kids do in fact get to see the characters during the Adventure Ocean program. I know the argument has been made that "this is a family vacation I want to spend time with my kids". But just think about how selfish your being by making them spend time with you instead of the characters in the camp. :)

Your kids will think they're dreaming when they get the chance to play with their favorite DreamWorks Animation characters at Adventure Ocean. Our award-winning Adventure Ocean youth program is already filled to the brim with exciting activities - just imagine how great it will be with characters like, Alex, Dragon, Shrek, Po and others making surprise appearances. The laughs will be unlimited as your kids interact with the characters in fun activities such as story time, dance parties and more. And remember, it's all included; no extra charge.

Parents are allowed to drop off and pick up their kids at Adventure Ocean. Even for the youngest ones, the parents are NOT allowed to stay and watch the kids interact with other kids or with the characters.

In other words, the character breakfasts are one time when parents actually get to witness and participate in their children's joy of experiencing these creatures.

I guess for some "grown adults" (??) sans kids, going to a character breakfast is their idea of fun. My ideas of adult fun trend a little more sophisticated than that. But hey, there's no explaining taste.

I don't care to what age group RCI gears an activity, if an activity does not have age restriction, it should be "first come, first serve". Nor do I care, why some adults would want to participate in those activities - I am not a thought police and it really is none of my business.

If an adult without kids registers for a breakfast ahead a family with kids, then he/she should not be held responsible for children disappointment, children parents should! Parents are responsible to register in timely manner (even if it means monitoring RCI web-site on a daily basis to catch when the slots open up) - just like they are responsible for providing other things to their children, such as food and clothing.

Character breakfast, face painting, balloon twisting are not "life and death" situations and therefore society as whole does not have an obligation to ensure that kids get to participate in those activities, that is what kids have parents for.

Well said!

Parents are allowed to drop off and pick up their kids at Adventure Ocean. Even for the youngest ones, the parents are NOT allowed to stay and watch the kids interact with other kids or with the characters.

In other words, the character breakfasts are one time when parents actually get to witness and participate in their children's joy of experiencing these creatures.

I guess for some "grown adults" (??) sans kids, going to a character breakfast is their idea of fun. My ideas of adult fun trend a little more sophisticated than that. But hey, there's no explaining taste.

I am with you, I keep sitting here wondering if I am missing out on some fun not having breakfast with someone who is dressed up like Shrek and alot of noisy children of which none is mine. Nope, can't even imagine it.

Now, I have done Disney World and a Disney cruise with my daughter and have participated with the characters and I enjoyed it only because it made my daughter happy. Otherwise no way no how.

I am with you, I keep sitting here wondering if I am missing out on some fun not having breakfast with someone who is dressed up like Shrek and alot of noisy children of which none is mine. Nope, can't even imagine it.

Now, I have done Disney World and a Disney cruise with my daughter and have participated with the characters and I enjoyed it only because it made my daughter happy. Otherwise no way no how.

"like":)

This is a very important subject for me, as I have 3 kids ages 4, 4 and 8 when we sail.

First, I would not want my child in the CL during happy hour so why not let them visit the kids club instead while mom and dad get some adult time as long as RCCL made it where the kids club is OPEN during cocktail hour:D

Second, I would be one mad mommy if my kids missed the breakfast because an adult wanted the spot! I understand you pay the same rate, it was available, so you booked it BUT does this mean I can bring my child to the adult only pool because I pay the same rate for them as you do as an adult?? No sooo you should be as considerate and let the children have first dibs at the character breakfast bookings, this is just part of being an adult.

Third and last LOL, face painting is loved by everyone. This is a true example of that fun new video game, everybody wants to play. I don't know if RCCL does this or not, but why not also offer facing painting a couple of nights in the kids club as an activity? The cruise we just finished did this and my kids LOVED it. My twins got it done 2X and my oldest DD (8) missed it with her group and she was very upset. This would allow all children who really wanted to do it the opportunity, and parents a reason not to feel guilty about saying "do you really want to wait in that line" because they always have another chance in the kids club.

Sorry so long but the more I typed the longer it got.

I find it laughable that RCI would allow someone to book THREE character breakfasts on one sailing. :eek: I wouldn't even take my KIDS to three character breakfasts on one sailing (would need some serious drugs to make myself sit through three breakfasts)

But REALLY - if these breakfasts are being booked solid and the kids aren't getting into them - and MY kids were one of them - I would be screaming from the rooftops. ;)

There is noooo way that would fly. RCI would have phone calls, facebook messages, emails and a letter from my congressman because BOTH of my children would have a spot at least ONE breakfast if I booked a Dreamworks ship. Ohhh heck no! :eek:

My sentiments exactly. When my kids were little I sat through every Character Breakfast, Disney, Barney you name it on Ice, Chuck E. Cheese , Sesame Place, Disney Pixar film .....you name it and had a ball seeing my kids having fun.

Maybe when the grandchildren come I will enjoy it again , but right now NO WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The kids should come first in a kid friendly environment, at a kid themed event.

Every one gets all antsy if God forbid there is a child in eyesight in a lounge while I am having a drink . Adults had to stand while a child sat . There was a child in the showroom during the R rated comedy show. Kids in the adult only deck area .

Children not being allowed in this lounge during certain hours has nothing to do with adults attending the character breakfasts. I plan to stay well away from the characters, but if I did want to go to one, and I was organized and was able to book one, well, as everyone has the same access to the booking system then I would expect to be able to attend without judgement.

It is surely the parents responsibility to book their children in, on time, if it means so much to them.

Maybe you were joking but what on earth does a congressmen have to do with this issue? They have no power in this situation and really, don't they have other things to worry about, like, the economy?

Edited by Pushka

I find it laughable that RCI would allow someone to book THREE character breakfasts on one sailing. :eek: I wouldn't even take my KIDS to three character breakfasts on one sailing (would need some serious drugs to make myself sit through three breakfasts)

But REALLY - if these breakfasts are being booked solid and the kids aren't getting into them - and MY kids were one of them - I would be screaming from the rooftops. ;)

There is noooo way that would fly. RCI would have phone calls, facebook messages, emails and a letter from my congressman because BOTH of my children would have a spot at least ONE breakfast if I booked a Dreamworks ship. Ohhh heck no! :eek:

*LOL*

When my daughter was little she made me take her through "Its a Small World " at WDW THREE TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THREE !!!!!! IN A ROW !!!!! THREE

The boys didn't want to go so my wife took them on Space Mountain, but my DD just loved it so much and was afraid to go on Space Mountain. So I took her THREE TIMES!!!!!

"It's a world of hope" .....(take me now all merciful God )

"It's a world of fear" ....(Please send me the white light to run to)

"Its a world of laughter" ...(just take me now right here on this ride)

"Its a world of tears" ...(You got that one right Brother)

But in spite of all that :) :) ...The kids should be considered first in booking these things

Second, I would be one mad mommy if my kids missed the breakfast because an adult wanted the spot! I understand you pay the same rate, it was available, so you booked it BUT does this mean I can bring my child to the adult only pool because I pay the same rate for them as you do as an adult?? No sooo you should be as considerate and let the children have first dibs at the character breakfast bookings, this is just part of being an adult.

Bad analogy... the kids have their own pool and club. So they have the same equivelants. I'm not going and playing the spalsh zone and I'm not attending the camp activities and playing with their video games. So they have things are designated kids only just like the adults have a pool that is designated adults only.

RCI has clearly decided that some things are kids or adult only. The breakfast is not one of them despite what all of these self entitled parents seem to think. Cartoon Character does not equal adult only and I think that's evident by the number of adults that want to and do sign up for this event.

*LOL*

When my daughter was little she made me take her through "Its a Small World " at WDW THREE TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THREE !!!!!! IN A ROW !!!!! THREE

The boys didn't want to go so my wife took them on Space Mountain, but my DD just loved it so much and was afraid to go on Space Mountain. So I took her THREE TIMES!!!!!

"It's a world of hope" .....(take me now all merciful God )

"It's a world of fear" ....(Please send me the white light to run to)

"Its a world of laughter" ...(just take me now right here on this ride)

"Its a world of tears" ...(You got that one right Brother)

But in spite of all that :) :) ...The kids should be considered first in booking these things

LOL!!! It's a special "world", that's for sure. What a great Dad!

I have been following this thread, and I am having a bit of difficulty understanding the time and effort that adults have been contributing to support their right to attend a kiddie breakfast.

Jeesh.

teddie

Yet they will call people who want their children to have a chance to enjoy it "entitled ".

COO COO .....COO COO

LOL!!! It's a special "world", that's for sure. What a great Dad!

Thank you :)

Hey you do it all for the kids , thats what makes it fun.

I remember taking 4 little girls to see MY Little Pony Live on stage !!!!!!!!! OY!!!! :)

They could have at least set up an OTB booth so the adults could have bet on a Trifecta :) *LOL*