fly southampton

bonniecharlie

we are thinking of flying to s/hampton, so who has done it. I would like to know

1)Is it very far from airport to dock

2) would a taxi do it and how much would it cost

3) Or if we stay over night, is there an hotel with a shuttle to dock

4) what is the nearest hotel to dock

Thanks

It's the next stop on the train before Southampton itself, and it takes about 15 mins after that....

Hotels abound- if you go to the ports section, and look up British Isles, there's lots of suggestions. We stay at the Novotel next to the station if we're coming by train; Holiday Inn if driving, which is on the port side, and we walk to most docks from there.....free parking for a fortnight. It's an easy place to negotiate.

Jo.

I believe only domestic UK and European flights use Southampton airport and you'd want Gatwick or Heathrow for international flights. Someone correct me if I'm wrong! There is coach & train service between Gatwick and Southampton. You could get a train from Heathrow as well, but not a direct one; I think there is direct bus service on National Express. A taxi would be about 1.5 hours from Heathrow, maybe 2 hours from Gatwick

we are thinking of flying to s/hampton, so who has done it. I would like to know

Thanks

1) About 5 or 6 miles

2) £10 - £15

3) Don't forget there are 4 cruise terminals. Cost isn't going to be huge from most hotels to the docks

4) Probably the De Vere Harbour, but it is expensive and would depend on which terminal

Thanks

We have flown from both Edinburgh and Glasgow to Southampton. We have booked Flybe ourselves and also used the ships flights.

Once you land and have your luggage, you go to the taxi desk and you are given the number of a taxi waiting outside for you. At that point you are told how much it will be - around £21 we paid the last time - this is if you have booked your own flights.

If you fly with the airline, once you have your luggage, you are met by a cruiseline rep and then bussed down to the port. There is a Costa and bar to sit in if you have to wait but it is no more than 30 minutes - 1 hours that you have to wait for the cruise company transfer unless they are waiting for a delayed incoming flight.

The Holiday Inn at Herbert Walker Drive (think this is the correct address) looks right on to the pier and you can walk with your luggage the next morning to board the ship.

Please note that the Holiday Inn is adjacent to the City cruise terminal, home base of the RCCI/Celebrity ships in Soton

If you cruise on Carnival ships they may depart from one of the other 3 terminals in Southampton

Re accommodation, have a look on the Destination Southampton web site. They may be able to advise with a range of options

Ease of access is all relative. Compared to most US airports it is all pretty simple but if you have to drag luggage even short distances are a bind.

The airport itself claims to have the shortest foot journey from gate to rail platform in Europe. It really is amazingly close.

The train takes you in to central Southampton from which it is 10 mins in a cab. Many hotels do have shuttles if you are planning to stay overnight.

Archived