Celebrity Tour: Snorkel Beneath the Pitons

EithneMay

This tour seems relatively inexpensive, so I worry that it will be PACKED with tons of people, and not really be between the Pitons. Has anyone experienced this who will share?

The Celebrity tours listed only cruise just off the Pitons The photo of a beach is Anse Cochon Marine park. A nomal snorkel stop for cruise ships tours

If they had a tour I would sign up for that cruise just to swim/snorkel under them Years ago a dive shop had a snorkel trip there and the view was totaly worth it

Paul

Back to St Lucia in Jan

This is from the Celebrity Excursion website:

Snorkel Beneath the Pitons - SLC4

spacer.gif

Board a 50ft power boat and depart the Castries Harbor for the town of Soufriere for your Snorkel . Cruise along the island's rugged west coast bypassing the La Toc Penninsula, the famous Marigot Bay and small fishing villages of Anse La Raye and Canaries.

As you cruise into the Soufriere Bay you will be taken away by the magnificent Pitons, two volcanic plugs. These majestic peaks are over 2400 feet high and are a UNESCO World Heritage site. A perfect photo opportunity before you begin your Snorkel adventure. A plethora of vibrant underwater life from a variety of corals, moray eels, to octupus, sea urchings, star fish, parrot, trumpet and rock fish abounds. Exploring the nooks will yield all sorts of surprises as they act as a nursery for many larger fish. If tired, the sands beckon from The Jalousie Plantation then back on board cool refreshments awaits before returning to the ship.

Note: Guests should consider their physical fitness level and medical history when determining whether this tour is appropriate. Guests with cardiac conditions, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, other heart or respiratory conditions or any other medical condition should take particular caution when selecting a tour with snorkeling/swimming elements. Guests who have concerns should consult with their personal physician before engaging in any activity that may be strenuous for them. Minimum age to participate is 13 years. Maximum weight is 280 pounds.

Sounds like it is right under the Pitons to me!

Given that it specifically mentions Jalousie Beach, which is located most definitely between the Pitons, that is a great price for a tour down to that area. The beach is beautiful, although it is imported sand, and the area scenery is stunning - the iconic Pitons can't be beat. Stunning.

The beach may have a small crowd, but if this is a morning tour, there will be a lot less people, maybe just your boat or 2. Mostt boats - especially the power boat tours - are smaller, 10-20 people maybe, not the huge tour boats of 50 or 60 people. Lots of tours go to Jalouse beach, but usually as a land/sea combo, so the land portion first, then the beach, hence if it's a morning tour for you, the beach will mostly only have the resident hotel guests (Jalouse Plantation is located on Jalousie beach. It's a 5-star property featured both in The Bachelor US and Bachelor UK)

Keep in mind, all beaches in St. Lucia are public - the tour will take you to one area of the beach and hotel security may try to tell you that you have to stay there - you don't. Beaches are public and you can access anywhere on the beach. You can take your towel to the other end and throw it down under the trees or out in the sun. Lounge chairs in front of the resort are for resident guests only, but the beach is free! There are usually some free chairs down in the tour area, if you are there early, you may be able to get some of those.

Take note that independent tours are available that include the same beach and snorkel, but also add the land element with the volcano and maybe the botanical gardens for $65US pp - many including lunch and drinks - sodas, rum punch and beer & water of course. Cosol, spencer Ambrose, James touring all have experience with cruise ships and specialize in tailoring their tours for the cruise times. Worth looking at.

Needless to say - the beach won't be swamped, you should have a great time!

Jalousie Beach is beautiful and the scenery is not to be missed!

Given that it specifically mentions Jalousie Beach, which is located most definitely between the Pitons, that is a great price for a tour down to that area. The beach is beautiful, although it is imported sand, and the area scenery is stunning - the iconic Pitons can't be beat. Stunning.

The beach may have a small crowd, but if this is a morning tour, there will be a lot less people, maybe just your boat or 2. Mostt boats - especially the power boat tours - are smaller, 10-20 people maybe, not the huge tour boats of 50 or 60 people. Lots of tours go to Jalouse beach, but usually as a land/sea combo, so the land portion first, then the beach, hence if it's a morning tour for you, the beach will mostly only have the resident hotel guests (Jalouse Plantation is located on Jalousie beach. It's a 5-star property featured both in The Bachelor US and Bachelor UK)

Keep in mind, all beaches in St. Lucia are public - the tour will take you to one area of the beach and hotel security may try to tell you that you have to stay there - you don't. Beaches are public and you can access anywhere on the beach. You can take your towel to the other end and throw it down under the trees or out in the sun. Lounge chairs in front of the resort are for resident guests only, but the beach is free! There are usually some free chairs down in the tour area, if you are there early, you may be able to get some of those.

Take note that independent tours are available that include the same beach and snorkel, but also add the land element with the volcano and maybe the botanical gardens for $65US pp - many including lunch and drinks - sodas, rum punch and beer & water of course. Cosol, spencer Ambrose, James touring all have experience with cruise ships and specialize in tailoring their tours for the cruise times. Worth looking at.

Needless to say - the beach won't be swamped, you should have a great time!

Jalousie Beach is beautiful and the scenery is not to be missed!

We have done the Cosol tour before, and have no interest in doing it again. We missed the beach, and we really just want a goregous place to snorkel, so this seems to fit the bill.

We have done the Cosol tour before, and have no interest in doing it again. We missed the beach, and we really just want a goregous place to snorkel, so this seems to fit the bill.

You might want to check this one out, also. We did it in Feb. It's basically all day at Jalousie Beach and includes lunch and beverages. We were the first group to arrive and it's right between the Pitons :)

http://www.spencerambrose.com/island-tours/jalousie-beach-break/

• 9 months later...

Okay, I know I am super late posting this, but we did this tour in February and it was so terrible that Celebrity gave us 20% back. The snorkeling time was less than 40 minutes of the whole tour. We were on a water taxi with 3 other tour groups. The snorkeling was awful, water clarity non-existent, and boats kept pulling right up to the snorkel area. We had no beach time as we could not use the resort beach area, just the rocky area to enter the snorkel spot. This excursion was the worst we have had out of 7 years of cruising on 3 different lines. Never Again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback. We're going in November and I was leaning toward this excursion based on the description but have learned that what they say you will get and what you get are sometimes not the same thing. I'll continue to look for something else.

Okay, I know I am super late posting this, but we did this tour in February and it was so terrible that Celebrity gave us 20% back. The snorkeling time was less than 40 minutes of the whole tour. We were on a water taxi with 3 other tour groups. The snorkeling was awful, water clarity non-existent, and boats kept pulling right up to the snorkel area. We had no beach time as we could not use the resort beach area, just the rocky area to enter the snorkel spot. This excursion was the worst we have had out of 7 years of cruising on 3 different lines. Never Again!

Thanks for the feedback. We're going in November and I was leaning toward this excursion based on the description but have learned that what they say you will get and what you get are sometimes not the same thing. I'll continue to look for something else.

Glad to help, I wish I had remembered to post my experience sooner. Celebrity really needs to can this excursion as it was not up to their quality product.

Archived