Kodiak and Dutch Harbor Alaska

Keith1010

We will be in Kodiak and in Dutch Harbor the first half of April. As many times as we have cruised Alaska this will be our first visit to each of these ports of call. If anyone has recommendations on places to visit either on organized tours or on our own I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Keith

Hi Keith - lucky you! We were in Kodiak this past August on HAL's 14 day itinerary (and back in 2010 in early June on the same) - it is a lovely, sleepy little Alaskan town. This past year, we went with Dake of Memory Makers for a 3 hour private tour (six person van) with others from our Roll Call (hi Mary and Bob:)!). Our first mission was to see bears - no luck there, but fun search out the road to the likely spots where bears had been seen recently. Then we went up to the wind towers on top of the mountain for spectacular views of the Amsterdam sitting in the harbor and the town itself. We also went out to Ft. Abercrombie for a short hike and to learn the history of the area. Dake is quite a character, very interesting and informative. My niece and her boyfriend wished they could have had more time to go stream fishing with Dake. He later dropped us off in town for a walk around on our own. Be sure to visit the local Sporting Goods shops to see their HUGE Kodiak bear mounts, photos, and surprisingly great souveniers - both Cys and Macks are good ones to visit.

Kodiak is a great placde to rent a car and do it all on your own if you have enough time in port. They're visitors guide provides wonderful trip itineraries for which roads to travel and what you might see along the way. A stop at the Kodiak brewery is also a good idea for those beer lovers in the bunch. A couple of nice small museums in town, and a lovely harbor area with views to die for. In 2010, even though we didn't see her ourselves, the Cornelia Marie of the tv show "Deadliest Catch" was in port. No such luck this year:(.

We enjoyed Kodiak very much on both trips and would have loved more time there. It isn't for everyone - those that are looking for a shopping experience or commercialized Alaska will not find much here. There are, of course, pricey flights out to see the massive Kodiak bears - again, if time and finances permit, this might be something to consider.

Can't help you with Dutch Harbor suggestions, though sure wish I could! Its on my bucket list. Enjoy!

We will be in Kodiak and in Dutch Harbor the first half of April. As many times as we have cruised Alaska this will be our first visit to each of these ports of call. If anyone has recommendations on places to visit either on organized tours or on our own I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Keith

Not much in Dutch Harbor. I took the Alaska ferry there just to say I went there and see what was there. There is a small museum showing the history of the area and some interesting exhibits about WWII (the Japanese hit Dutch Harbor after Pearl Harbor). There are some great whale watching trips and the world record halibut was caught not far from Dutch Harbor.

It will be VERY cold in April so be prepared. You are right at the Bering Sea with its huge marine wildlife area. But it is also one of the most forbidding places on earth as far as wind, ice and cold.

There are, of course, pricey flights out to see the massive Kodiak bears - again, if time and finances permit, this might be something to consider.

Those pricey flights out of Kodiak in the summer cruise season go to the Katmai as a general rule., NOT to see Kodiak bears. Kingfisher Aviation does fly to Fraser Lake out of Kodiak but the fish HAVE to be in season or you won't see much. And there won't be any fish in early April.

MUCH better to do the bear viewing trips out of Homer to see salmon fed bears in the Katmai. There are only a few places to actually see the Kodiaks other than during hunting season. And those places require a 2-5 day stay at "bear camp".

It will be VERY cold in April so be prepared. You are right at the Bering Sea with its huge marine wildlife area. But it is also one of the most forbidding places on earth as far as wind, ice and cold.
Actually, not that cold - it seldom gets below zero (F) on the chain; too much warm Pacific water. Windy and wet, possibly sleet or snow, much more likely. Did I mention windy? We used to say that it doesn't rain in the Aleutians; it rains in Russia and the wind blows it there.

April won't be much on the wildlife front (it never really is all that much on the chain - better on the Pribilofs in the Bering, but you're not going there.) Instead, I'd make human history your focus: a very rich Native and Russian heritage - fabulous Russian churches both in Kodiak and Unalaska (the real name of "Dutch Harbor") plus a lot of fascinating WW2 history in Unalaska. Not to mention, of course, the commercial fishing and fish processing industries in both cities. In April things should still be fairly busy (and "busy" in the season means, "oh boy.")

I'd walk around Unalaska village - maybe up to the cemetery - to get a feel for this relatively remote area. It's my favorite part of Alaska (but that's probably because I spent so much time out there.)

Unalaska Church of the Holy Ascension, built in the 1820s, and neighboring rectory, both renovated since I took this picture years ago:

unalaskachurchhouse1109.jpg

Keith, you are going to see some real Alaska!

Kodiak is very likely going to have fog. I would check out the World War II museum as the story told there is seldom heard and is very interesting. Here is a link: http://www.kodiak.org/explore-kodiak/history-a-culture/world-war-ii.html

It is said that the weather saved Kodiak from bombing and invasion by the Japanese.

You will need to add a layer of clothing to what I know you pack for your usual wet and chilly weather turn out. Special attention to foot wear for non-slip and staying dry.

You can picture me sitting at the airport in Kodiak waiting and waiting for clear weather in order to fly.

It should be very interesting. Won't be crowded. I promise!

Thanks to Assateague, Greatam, Gardylou and Penny for your input. If anyone else has suggestions please post.

The visits to these ports will come towards the end of a very long voyage. We are expecting lows to be in the high 20's and highs in the low 40's and that there will not be many tourists in port.

In many ways this will give us yet another interesting perspective for Alaska.

I have copied down all of the information that has been provided and am in the process of following up on each suggestion.

Many thanks.

Keith

Keith, I can honestly say that there will be few to no other tourists in Dutch Harbor and Kodiak when you arrive save for your ship mates.

You should be able to buy a lunch of very fresh seafood. Not sure of what other American cruisine you might be willing to eat. Skippy peanut butter would be one of my first desires after being out of the country for a long time.

It has been at least fifteen years since I have visited Kodiak, but really enjoyed it and am surprised I haven't found an excuse to return. I was on Kodiak to attend the Museums Alaska and Alaska Historical Society annual conferences. These two organizations always meet back to back. My husband went with me because he hadn't been to Kodiak in years and wanted to do some birding.

We rented a car and drove the small road system. We found the road toward Chiniak particularly fun.

Anyone interested in WW II history will enjoy the grounds of Ft. Abercrombie. The Alutiiq Museum is highly recommended. The Baranov Museum/Erskine House has some great displays about Russian history (Kodiak was the first capital of Russian America). Downtown Kodiak was heavily damaged in 1964 by a tsumanis after that major earthquake and it seems to me that the Baranov Museum had some good displays about the quake. Alaska's Russian roots are also reflected in St Herman's Seminary and an active Russian Orthodox Church. As part of the Museums Alaska conference there were some events in the archives of the seminary, but I don't know if the seminary is generally open to the public.

...In 2010, even though we didn't see her ourselves, the Cornelia Marie of the tv show "Deadliest Catch" was in port. No such luck this year:(.

Probably because about that time she was in Ketchican! We caught her there from the Sea Princess on our way north.

When I did a north patrol that usually meant a 2 month jaunt to the Bearing Sea. A fuel stop in Kodiak for an area in-brief, and a stop there for fuel b4 heading home to San Fran (Alameda). During the stay there'd typically two runs to Dutch Harbor for fuel with an overnight stay, maybe two nites. I got to see all the sights .... more than once!

It was seldom really really cold - but wind and wet was common. On the other hand in the winter it can be calm in Dutch one minute and blowing 60 knots the next.

So far as things to do ..... well I can say with complete honesty that I spent part of EVERY DAY I was in Kodiak, in WalMart just walking around . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

Wow, that really puts a whole new definition to Alaskan cruises starting earlier and earlier. Cruising Alaska April 8-14th. That has to be a record for the earliest AK cruise. Enjoy!

Yes, it is very early. I will post on this board shorty after we visit these ports.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Keith

I'll be on the Crystal Serenity.

Keith

Yes, it is very early. I will post on this board shorty after we visit these ports.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Keith

Man, the chain in April? "Serenity" is about the last word that comes to mind. Have fun!

Keith, this cruise has to be a record breaker for cruise travel to Alaska. April in Alaska tends to be the end of mud season in some areas and people are still skiing in others.

You will need more jacket than you usually pack along for your long trips.

Full warnings on dry skin issues! You are going to need the best stuff you can find.

Do you want me to UPS you a storm parka?

In Singapore buy the 2 of you some nice cashmire sweaters, socks and glove liners. Yes, I'm being serious here. Singapore or in Australia for Merino wool. The old story about doing layers.

Edited by PennyAgain

Penny, thank you for the good advice. Last year in preparation for this cruise in one of the Australia ports we bought wool gloves and hats for each of us. We already have the cashmere sweaters we planned to take. We are also each taking a fleece and North Face Jackets. Based on your comments will also be sure we have the right protection for dry skin and a scarf might be a good idea as well.

Keith

Keith, I own a closet full of IceBreaker brand Merino wool clothing from New Zealand. Wonderful stuff, travels well and requires very little washing out (you air it out after wearing). It comes in various weights. Fantastic stuff.

Yes to a scarf!

Dry skin hits me every visit to Alaska. One would think with all that water around, dry skin would not be a huge issue, but it is for many people. If you look at people's faces in Alaska you can certainly tell that the weather has been hard on them.

I have always wanted to sail from Osaka to Alaska as I've heard tall tales from those who did that prior to air travel. What a fantastic trip you have planned!

I can't recall that a very fine passenger ship has ever visited Dutch Harbor. Expect a fuss about that!

Bon Voyage!

In Kodiak, we enjoyed a bus ride to the 'Kodiak Winery'.

The ride itself was picturesque, as was the 'winery', wines made from local berries, and, imported strawberries, none of these were memorable.

However, my prized souvenir was a tasteful shirt, and, since I come from wine country, whenever I go wine tasting, I put it on, and it has become the greatest conversation piece that I have ever had. I have even been asked a few times if I own the Winery.:D

As I recall the town of Kodiak was kind of interesting too.

john