Taxi tour for 2 1/2 hours VS $60pp ship excursion tour???

Virginoftheseas

Does anyone know roughly what it would cost for a 2 1/2hr taxi island tour for 3 people. NOT THE OPEN AIR BUSES but a real taxi

Our ship has an excursion which sounds good to us as it does not include a beach trip but the cost is $60 per person and its 2 1/2 hours long.

Does anyone know roughly what it would cost for a 2 1/2hr taxi island tour for 3 people. NOT THE OPEN AIR BUSES but a real taxi

Our ship has an excursion which sounds good to us as it does not include a beach trip but the cost is $60 per person and its 2 1/2 hours long.

If I understand correctly taxi rates are regulated by law in St Thomas. According to travel books on the caribbean ports, there will be taxis offering tours at a set price.. Hope that helps.

Virgin: Not sure what you have against the open safaris, as many of the vehicles for hire are like this. There are very few car size taxis, most are at least 7 + passenger vans. I am gathering you don't want to share a ride?

I have nothing against them at all. We'll be traveling with my son who uses a wheelchair and my husband and I have called most of the tour operators included on VInow and other sites and all have said their handicapped vehicles are booked on our date. They also said that the regular open air buses can take a folding wheelchair (which my son uses) however it would be strapped on the back with bungee cords. They also gave us numbers of non listed companies and as of yet none have returned our calls.

Personally rather not have a $2K wheelchair on the back of a bus only held on by bungee cords. Much rather have it in a trunk of a car/van or folded up inside the passenger compartment. As the cruiseline says will occur if we do the excursion however they won't tell us which company they use.

This will be our ships first stop and really don't want to risk the possibility of anything going wrong with the wheelchair at all let alone so early in the trip.

Virgin: Not sure what you have against the open safaris, as many of the vehicles for hire are like this. There are very few car size taxis, most are at least 7 + passenger vans. I am gathering you don't want to share a ride?

For us a private tour or taxi is always preferred when the pricing is similar such as in STT. There are many "car size" taxis in STT as well as vans (check tripadvisor for reviews) and these drivers can give you a more personal experience tailored to your specific interests. The group safari bus can be fun when going from point A to point B, but generally not when touring, at least in our experiences...\

What are your interests? beach bars and great views? A beach and then lunch?

Ah, Virgin, that's a horse of a different color! Two ideas: VITRAN, the "real" bus service, has some wheel chair accessible vans. You might call them and see if there is any chance you could sign up. 340-774-5678. If you can use a regular car or van, just need the inside space for the chair, talk to the dispatcher at the dock. S/He should be able to match you with an appropriate vehicle. :)

I vote for the ship's excursion in this instance and under the conditions you have to deal with. The price will be about the same and the anxiety much less.

Vitran will be a pain in the.... and you will end up most probably with nothing.

If all else fails the taxi starter at the dock will help you if he can.

Enjoy your Island stay.:)

B.

Archived