Airfare

Jimmy Geegitz

For those who need to fly. Is it me or is airfare getting high?

I was just checking flight from boston to fort lauderdale for our upcomming cruise and the cheapest I could get is 600for 2ple. Then u add on luggage fees. I am now thinkin of driving. With our car and gas figured at 4 bux a gallon it would only be $400 max. And my wifes friend may now come also so with 3 of us sharing gas expense it would even be lower. Also I can leave my car at my sister in laws so I would not have to pay to park.

For those who need to fly. Is it me or is airfare getting high?

I was just checking flight from boston to fort lauderdale for our upcomming cruise and the cheapest I could get is 600for 2ple. Then u add on luggage fees. I am now thinkin of driving. With our car and gas figured at 4 bux a gallon it would only be $400 max. And my wifes friend may now come also so with 3 of us sharing gas expense it would even be lower. Also I can leave my car at my sister in laws so I would not have to pay to park.

Mind you this wasn't for a cruise, but I just booked roundtrip airfare to Orlando for $86. (on southwest)

However, yes, airfare prices have in general been through the roof lately. I'm going on a trip in April and haven't bought tickets yet...they're already about $100 more than they were a month ago :(

I have noticed airfares to MCO are high in March/April. The best price today was $500 + from MPLS on Delta (I have miles so I need to fly Delta). This is about double what I would normally pay. :mad:

I was about to say no the prices seem ok to me too.

Then you said March (or april). I had no trouble in April but the leg home end of March out of Tampa (or Orlando, checked that too) was $181 more expensive to fly home the day I get off the cruise, last two flights of the day .. no others are even showing on SW in the cheap wanna get away fares.

For the additional $181, Im spending the night in Tampa, not my first choice. OP look at other days, maybe fly in a day or two early rather than drive?

Here is what I do, I always check between Tuesday afternoon and Thursday afternoon. This is when they say airlines post most of their sales, I also run it through Bing Travel to look for a price predictor. This will show the trending of flights and give you an idea if you should buy now or wait.

Before I even book the cruise, I look to see what airfare is pricing (if it is not too far in advance). write down the current price then check a few times a week to pounce on anything that fits what I am willing to pay. This next cruise (Jan.) I stated watching prices and they were 655.00 for two people round trip. Caught a one day sale on Delta leaving out of Erie PA (we usually go out of Pittsburgh because it runs cheaper). for 109.00 pp.:)

Yea I checked SW and Manchester and Portland. Tara you are only flyin from South Carolina that's why your flight are cheap.

:( Flying out of PWM is always costly...Even SW out of MHT isn't as good as it was a year ago, although on occasion, you might catch a deal.

Have you been to PWM since the renovation though?? It looks really nice. Can't wait til it's complete. (It looks like a 'real' airport now:))

I booked round trip from Tampa to San Diego, senior rates for April, for $607.50 for 2 of us. I had been checking for awhile and figgured that was as good as it was going to get. Now 2 weeks later, it has already gone up $100. Wonder what it will be in April?

:( Flying out of PWM is always costly...Even SW out of MHT isn't as good as it was a year ago, although on occasion, you might catch a deal.

Have you been to PWM since the renovation though?? It looks really nice. Can't wait til it's complete. (It looks like a 'real' airport now:))

And SW flights to start soon!:)

I booked a fare of 316$ pp from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale last month after looking for a good fare since I booked the cruise one year ago, the same flight is now 747$ per person and was almost never under 500$ !! Insane!

I had been watching flights to miami for late march. Prices were holding steady at $260 pp.

Now they have jumped to $280, Haven't checked in the last week since Im scrapping the idea of a march cruise.

Don't know where you are flying from, but you might check into flying into Ft. Lauderdale instead of Miami.

I booked my cruise way before I booked air. Got the air through SW the day they opened up through the end of March ... am paying $1100 for three of us to fly non-stop to FLL and we are flying in the day before the cruise and flying out the day after. Fortunately we have miles through CapOne and will get some of it back, but it was pretty hard to stomach $1100 for three people from MCI to FLL when I just paid $591 for three from MCI to PHX in August! Oh well. It was all budgeted and hotels for the night before and night after the cruise totals $98 (got one night free), so all in all, we stayed well within budged for our cruise.

But airfare is like everything else - disgusting now.

Just got this two hours ago from that animal keeper's weekly email notification for travel stuff.. (don't want to break any rules here)

From the ****l z** Newsdesk:

As a ***** VIP, you are receiving this Newsflash email

before other subscribers.

TAMPA--OCTOBER 18, 2011-- Prices dropped dramatically this

morning from Tampa to U.S. cities as a result of a fare war

between several major airlines. We expect these reduced

fares -- as low as $35 each way -- to only stick around

until Oct. 20.

These deals, available on multiple airlines, are for travel

Nov. 30 - Dec. 14 and Jan. 4 - Feb. 15.

Sample fares from Tampa (each way):

- Atlanta ... $35