23 Grams of Cannabis on the Dawn......Holy cow!

phillynick

Nearly every week this summer there has been a drug arrest in Bermuda or multiple arrests while the ships are docked. They go through with drug sniffing dogs and always catch someone. It's amazing how many times this summer it's happened. You'd think people would wake up to all the news stories!

Ouch..if he needed for medical usage, then i wonder why he dont have documentation to prove it

The cruise line would prefer to sell the intoxicating products (which is limited to alcohol) to its guests. Better for the bottom line! ;)

Wow... less than an ounce is worth $1,000 !!! And governments wonder why there exists an illegal drug trade!! AMAZING

Tom

Nearly every week this summer there has been a drug arrest in Bermuda or multiple arrests while the ships are docked. They go through with drug sniffing dogs and always catch someone. It's amazing how many times this summer it's happened. You'd think people would wake up to all the news stories!

Looks like a money grab to me - I saw the same thing on a cruise news forum - seems like they know the ships will be there for several days, so they take the dogs treasure hunting through the ship while everyone is up on shore. Anyone found with pot or drugs in their cabins are arrested and allowed to plead guilty the next day and pay a fine of anywhere from 1 to 10k. They are then allowed to go back to the ship and continue their cruise. I did see one case where a person was acutally caught onshore with a large quantity of pot, he was sentenced to 30 months in jail.

I think justice would be better served if they have the dogs sniffing the passengers for drugs as they leave the ship.

I think justice would be better served if they have the dogs sniffing the passengers for drugs as they leave the ship.

Or if they didn't sniff for them at all!

I am not "pro-drug", and I don't partake --- but I can spot a losing strategy when I see one. ESPECIALLY for soft drugs: Live and let live - and provide medical help for those with problems/addictions.

Just my $.02

Tom

Looks like a money grab to me - I saw the same thing on a cruise news forum - seems like they know the ships will be there for several days, so they take the dogs treasure hunting through the ship while everyone is up on shore. Anyone found with pot or drugs in their cabins are arrested and allowed to plead guilty the next day and pay a fine of anywhere from 1 to 10k. They are then allowed to go back to the ship and continue their cruise. I did see one case where a person was acutally caught onshore with a large quantity of pot, he was sentenced to 30 months in jail.

I wouldn't count on that. The captain has the right to put them off the ship and likely will.

Or if they didn't sniff for them at all!

I am not "pro-drug", and I don't partake --- but I can spot a losing strategy when I see one. ESPECIALLY for soft drugs: Live and let live - and provide medical help for those with problems/addictions.

Just my $.02

Tom

:confused: I can't fathom what you mean by that. I don't necessarily disagree with treatment for drug abusers who are not dealers rather than criminal punishment, but in this case a foreigner was importing drugs (even if they were for his own use). How would you suggest they obtain treatment for someone who is leaving the country in a day or two?

When you're in a foreign country you have to obey their laws, and since Bermuda doesn't permit medical use of marijuana, even if the individual arrested is telling the truth about medical use that information is irrelevant in Bermuda...the person is still breaking the law.

By the way, although medical use of marijuana is permitted under the laws of some states, it is not permitted under federal law, and recently the Department of Justice announced they were going to crack down on medical marijuana facilities in California.

Here in NJ a medical marijuana law was passed a couple of years ago, but is only now in the first stages of implementation because the governor, a former US attorney, was initially concerned that state officials in charge of the program could be prosecuted for violating federal law.

$1000 for under an ounce of bad weed???? Man, and I thought Bermuda prices were high before I read this article! ;-)

This link quotes prices at $50 a gram:

http://webehigh.com/city/detail.php?CITYID=Bermuda

The article states that, in another incident, a dog was able to detect five grams of marijuana in a cabin's safe. Is that credible? From out in the hallway, through the cabin door, and then through the safe.....that canine sniffer can smell five grams? Yow. That's a nose on that little doggie. Either that or they're busting into every unoccupied cabin and doing a search. Toto, I have a feeling we're not in America anymore.

It's pretty amazing what the dogs can smell - I wouldn't doubt that they could smell it in the safe. We are right on the border of Canada here, and we hear of drug busts by dogs fairly regularly. They can smell drugs hidden in gas tanks and spare tires. And my assumption would be that if it takes a few days to get to Bermuda, chances are that what was in the safe came out at some point in the voyage for some use, which would place the odor throughout the cabin.

:confused: I can't fathom what you mean by that. I don't necessarily disagree with treatment for drug abusers who are not dealers rather than criminal punishment, but in this case a foreigner was importing drugs (even if they were for his own use). How would you suggest they obtain treatment for someone who is leaving the country in a day or two?

When you're in a foreign country you have to obey their laws, and since Bermuda doesn't permit medical use of marijuana, even if the individual arrested is telling the truth about medical use that information is irrelevant in Bermuda...the person is still breaking the law.

By the way, although medical use of marijuana is permitted under the laws of some states, it is not permitted under federal law, and recently the Department of Justice announced they were going to crack down on medical marijuana facilities in California.

Here in NJ a medical marijuana law was passed a couple of years ago, but is only now in the first stages of implementation because the governor, a former US attorney, was initially concerned that state officials in charge of the program could be prosecuted for violating federal law.

I concur that we shouldn't expect foreign governments to implement sensible legislation, when our own county can't seem to.... watching Midnight Express one time was enough to convince me to respect the laws in foreign lands!

I WAS UP ON MY SOAPBOX, AND WROTE AN ESSAY HERE -- AND DECIDED TO TRASH THE REST!! :)

Tom

It's pretty amazing what the dogs can smell - .

Those of us that have dogs know very well how great their sense of smell is...Bears have an even greater sense of smell than dogs.

Animals are just amazing....:)

It is a big money grab for the Bermudian government to bring the dogs on. Their economy is in the crapper and their tax dollars are not producing enough revenue to appease their workers (ie bus drivers, etc) so it's causing service issues on the island. How else do you get more revenue... get the tourists! :D

This season seems to be especially high volume. Either the cruisers going to BDA are not bright and don't research in advance or the Bermudan government is just ruthless now and money hungry... either / or... if you're dumb enough to take the stuff with you then you're dumb enough to pay the fine. Take too much and well it's great to see the ship sail without you! :eek::D

They were doing that when we came back into NYC. First time in all our 9 cruises I saw it. Two dogs sniffing the luggage we were dragging with us up to customs and also sniffing the luggage on the racks the porters were dragging around. They tell you don't have this stuff, but some people just aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

Our first trip to Bermuda it was VERY common knowledge that they have a ZERO tolerance for crime. Many of the folks running excursions told everyone if you have a small amount of weed on you on the island you will go to jail.

It is a big money grab for the Bermudian government...

So if I understand correctly, a government enforcing its well-advertised drug laws is involved in a big money grab. Somehow, I am missing the logic here.:eek:

Bill

23 grams of weed is not a lot, especially for a vacation. In college, we smoked an ounce in a matter of 2 days between 5 of us on a roadtrip. An ounce, 28 grams, goes for $300-400 here in Reno, a couple hours from Nor Cal weed farms and the whole shabang. It's not like he's distributing any real weight. I can understand 23 POUNDS, nut 23 grams is personal use. Ridiculous penalties and fines. At least, I know not to dabble in weed if I ever vacation to Bermuda.

We attended the port talk last week on our Bermuda cruise and were clearly told that there had been drugs found on every single Boston to Bermuda cruise up to that point. I have no idea if anything was found on our cruise, but the cruise line did inform passengers about Bermuda enforcement and penalties.

This link quotes prices at $50 a gram:

http://webehigh.com/city/detail.php?CITYID=Bermuda

The article states that, in another incident, a dog was able to detect five grams of marijuana in a cabin's safe. Is that credible? From out in the hallway, through the cabin door, and then through the safe.....that canine sniffer can smell five grams? Yow. That's a nose on that little doggie. Either that or they're busting into every unoccupied cabin and doing a search. Toto, I have a feeling we're not in America anymore.

He wasn't in America (USA) he was in Bermuda!

im NEVER going to bermuda!

$10,000 fine is ridiculous!!! he wasnt hurting anybody and now he'll probably have to commit a crime just to pay back that fine.

If someone smokes anyway, they sure aint gonna quit on vacation that makes no sence, if anything they go on vacation to smoke and drink more... its so unfair they got caught . :(

Archived