Royal Princess Construction Begins

CL-JW

We didn't see this anywhere, so thought we'd share that Royal Princess began construction today in Italy.

Should be interesting to watch her progress. Looking forward to seeing new features revealed, deck plans and hopefully some construction photos along the way too.

We didn't see this anywhere, so thought we'd share that Royal Princess began construction today in Italy.

Should be interesting to watch her progress. Looking forward to seeing new features revealed, deck plans and hopefully some construction photos along the way too.

Interesting... they started cutting the steel back in March!

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na1150

The keel was layed today so it means she officially is being built.

Steel is cut in advance and assembled into modules so it is ready in the correct order. the pre made modules are then stored so that construction can go on without having to wait for the next bit to be ready.

It means we should see quite fast progress. I am searching for any webcams of the dockyard to see if we can see the ship. If I find one I shall post the link.

Can't really see much due to the time of day it is in Italy right now but this webcam is supposedly pointing at the shipyard in Fincantieri, Italy. There are two images - the one on the left is a zoomed in version of the one on the right.

http://www.ebeuk.com/M1/m1test.jpg

Paul

That's actually a webcam for the Fincantieri shipyard in Genoa. The Royal Princess is being built at their shipyard in Monfalcone.

But the keel was laid today.

Ah yes, I was actually marveling at the fact that they cut 6 months worth of steel before they actually lay the keel. :)

Ah yes, I was actually marveling at the fact that they cut 6 months worth of steel before they actually lay the keel. :)

Actually, in a modern ship there is no "keel" as in a long single structural member from bow to stern. The ship is simply built from modules as swissdave pointed out. Those modules have been getting built since steel was first cut back in march.

The "Keel laying" is when the first of the modules are lowered into the dry-dock and assembled together. This assembly process goes faster than building the modules, so they have now built enough of the modules that the supply of built modules will stay ahead of the assembly and, in fact the last module will be built almost the same day it is needed for assembly.

Scheduling work for shipbuilding is an amazing science.

They had a blurb on Facebook. Also mentioned that it will debut May, 2013 but look for the itineraries next spring for the new Royal Princess. Hopefully Princess will have a similar YouTube presentation like they did for the Grand Princess re build so we can see the progress.

Princess FaceBook has a great picture of what has been built so far.

Hugh

I wish Princess would announce the plans for the Royal before next Spring. NCL has a new ship that will debut around the same exact time and not only did they announce the new ship's homeport and itinerary, they opened up bookings now.

The anticipation is killing me, I'm hoping they bring her to the Big Apple.:D

I wish Princess would announce the plans for the Royal before next Spring. NCL has a new ship that will debut around the same exact time and not only did they announce the new ship's homeport and itinerary, they opened up bookings now.

The anticipation is killing me, I'm hoping they bring her to the Big Apple.:D

I think that Princess is going to take the slow approach to releasing news about the Royal Princess to build excitement and interest. NCL is playing all their cards right away, so it'll be sort of a yawner when their new ship actually debuts.

I think that Princess is going to take the slow approach to releasing news about the Royal Princess to build excitement and interest. NCL is playing all their cards right away, so it'll be sort of a yawner when their new ship actually debuts.

I disagree. I think NCL have created excitement and Princess are going the zzzzzzzzzzzzz way. Because the NCL allows people to book on the ship and so your started the countdown momentum for those people. They will them create excitment by sharing with others that they going on the cruise which further fuels the build up.

I disagree. I think NCL have created excitement and Princess are going the zzzzzzzzzzzzz way. Because the NCL allows people to book on the ship and so your started the countdown momentum for those people. They will them create excitment by sharing with others that they going on the cruise which further fuels the build up.

Dunno...IMHO, it seems to me that NCL is trying very hard to reassure people that their new ships won't be like the Epic... :p We'll see how it all plays out...

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm a minority here but I'm glad to see they are finally putting a High Definition Screen for Movies Under The Stars. Standard definition TV's have not been sold for so many years. I don't know where Princess got the old screens from that they have on the current ships. :)

Archived