Do you get a discount for being a past passenger

oceansandseas

Phoned Cunard to book my cruise. Checked out other online travel agencies which are a bit cheaper, not by much, but they do give OBC. Feel more confident going through Cunard though. I thought that by being a past passenger that I would get a better price. Really not so. No perks either. Canadian passenger.

Last cruise I used my travel agent (who is a friend) and she goofed up a bit. She knows her stuff for the predominant cruise line she uses, but does not do too much with Cunard.

Any thoughts other than getting another travel agent.

Phoned Cunard to book my cruise. Checked out other online travel agencies which are a bit cheaper, not by much, but they do give OBC. Feel more confident going through Cunard though. I thought that by being a past passenger that I would get a better price. Really not so. No perks either. Canadian passenger.

Last cruise I used my travel agent (who is a friend) and she goofed up a bit. She knows her stuff for the predominant cruise line she uses, but does not do too much with Cunard.

Any thoughts other than getting another travel agent.

Unfortunately you do not always get past passenger discount as I found out when I booked my last cruise with Cunard. It was not given to me and when I emailed Cunard to find out why they said the reason was they had already reduced prices on the voyage and therefore ppd would not be given! It makes sense to me to find the cheapest price you can - which unbelivably is sometimes with Cunard direct - but more often than not usually via a TA!

Hi SALAD MUNCHER - I agree with you. For our forthcoming cruise, we found that if we advised agent of the low special offer Cunard price, he could match it and offer a nominal £40 p/p off the special price.

Also where we had £250 p/p OBC from Forward Cruise Credit, this was automatically applied - as was the deduction of the credit itself.

D

Unfortunately you do not always get past passenger discount as I found out when I booked my last cruise with Cunard. It was not given to me and when I emailed Cunard to find out why they said the reason was they had already reduced prices on the voyage and therefore ppd would not be given! It makes sense to me to find the cheapest price you can - which unbelivably is sometimes with Cunard direct - but more often than not usually via a TA!

When I look on cunard.com I'm shown a lower price after I input my CWC info, so I'd say that I do get a past-passenger discount.

Not always. I've experimented with this and sometimes the price remains the same - with or without the CWC. I don't know why.

It's all in the rate codes.

It's something the rez center can see as well as travel agents.

Many times there are group rates and promotional rates which beat past passenger rates.

Example, 10 night QE for Nov 2012. A group rate was $300 less per person than Cunard's past passenger rate.

Another example, QE WB ta Jan 2012, regional rate code beat group rate AND past passenger rate.

Thanks for those who answered. The answer is woven amongst all of the replies.

Today I went to Cunard website and put in the voyage as if I was not a past passenger. I got the same amount that was quoted to me yesterday as a past passenger. I then did it again and put in World Club Number. Then it asked for a promotional code of 3 letters. I put in the code that I had. It would not go any further and told me to phone Cunard. I therefore did and was told that the code I entered had expired in August. I have been looking at it for awhile. She gave me another code to put in.

She stayed on the line until I finished. Seems that since it is 100 days to sailing, the code that they are using is the best price available. It beats the past passenger code as they want to fill the ship. Sounds reasonable. I might have received a better price if I had booked a few months ago. I cannot tell as the only brochure price that I have is for an A7 which is the lowest balcony and is completely sold out. Promotional brochure mailed to me does not have a price for the category A I chose.

That is the age old question that is never brought up on a cruise - Who got the best price for their cruise?

When I look on cunard.com I'm shown a lower price after I input my CWC info, so I'd say that I do get a past-passenger discount.

Yes, totally agree. We got a Q-6 on QM2 last year that was about $1500 less than someone who had never travelled Cunard before.

This deception really bothers me. For my upcoming cruise a 10% early booking discount was advertised as well as a 5% past customer discount. I did not receive the discounts as anyone can book the same cabin today for the same price I am paying. I contacted Cunard several times and was provided with a story that they have some price set that only they can see that is set higher than the advertised price so my discounts are eclipsed. What rubbish! It is simple math advertised price - advertised discounts= price. Not so with Cunard. I filed a complaint with the US Federal Trade Commission because I believe this bait and switch practice is illegal.

Kit

Archived