Junior Suite Versus D1 Balcony

The Junior Suite will have more cabin space. If you have more than two people in the room it might be better for the price.

Junior Suite:

Square footage: 287 sq ft

Balcony square footage: 80 sq ft

D1 Balcony:

Square footage: 182 sq ft

Balcony square footage: 80 sq ft

The Junior Suite gets no extra perks other than double C&A Points and it has a tub.

Hi All

Is a junior suite worth the extra money compared to a Category D1 Balcony on the Allure of The Seas please?

Thanks Parramatta

A JS is about 1.5X the size of a D1....you need to decide if the price difference is worth it.....a JS is a very nice size cabin....much more the size of a standard hotel room.....you get a full walk in closet as well as a full tub in the bathroom.

I really like the size of the JS vs the D1, but on Allure, the price difference is so great (for the times I looked at) that I would not do it. I'd rather wait and possibly upgrade later if the prices come down. If a category upgrade cost is in the $1,000 range or lower (for 2 people) I'm more likely to upgrade. On Allure, it's more like 2k.

For me, it all depends on the price difference. I've seen cases where a JS was twice the price of a D or E. When that happens, I've stuck with the regular balcony cabin. However, I've also seen cases where the JS was only a couple hundred dollars more. Then I'll book the JS.

How many people are in your cabin? I had a D1 on the Oasis last year and it was small for my DH, DS (was 10 at the time), and me. I found plenty of storage space but when the DS's couch was made into a bed you had to walk sideways inbetween it and the chair for the desk/makeup area. I use to put the small table out on the balcony every night because there just wasn't any room for it.

Don't forget the double cruise credits too. Even with that it's usually too big a price jump for us. I would think about taking a JS if I was putting 3 or more in the room. We did get our one and only upgrade so far when we booked a JS for Me, DW, and our two sons. That was the Owner's Suite Dream Cruise on the Enchantment.:D

I think that generally, Royal prices JS too high; the jump from D1 to JS is too steep. JS are often left until they start cutting prices after final. When they make the JS prices reasonable before final, they get snapped up.

So Royal I think you should revamp your JS pricing so you can sell more cabins up front without having to slash prices later.

Its interesting that the balcony size is the same but on other ships the JS size is much larger. I asked this very question a few months ago for the Liberty and ended up getting the JS. I would actually prefer the shower and not a tub but they do come in handy for washing the odd Tshirt. And scored a prize hump too!:p

I signed up to the price checker website and the cruise is next July. The prices keep going up and up. Is that normal?

i had the same debate when I booked for Allure next October. I originally booked the D1, but after giving it some thought I figured we would enjoy the extra space. It is ~$1000 more, but in my opinion it was worth it. Bigger cabin, bigger bathroom...definitely a win.

I signed up to the price checker website and the cruise is next July. The prices keep going up and up. Is that normal?

July is definitely the most expensive time to cruise. Every kid is home from school and they will all be on the Allure!

i had the same debate when I booked for Allure next October. I originally booked the D1, but after giving it some thought I figured we would enjoy the extra space. It is ~$1000 more, but in my opinion it was worth it. Bigger cabin, bigger bathroom...definitely a win.

$1000 more is ok, but you booked for October. If you book during a holiday or summer, the difference is more like 2k. I just can't do it! :eek:

On our upcoming Australia cruise the difference between the two cabin types was about $200 per person, so we booked a JS. This is a nine-night cruise and so we thought it was well worth the price difference - especially in a corner aft.

Good luck with your decision.

We've had JS on both Mariner and Allure. We thought the JS on Mariner was much bigger, but the JS on Allure had an awesome walk-in closet (can't remember the closet on Mariner, so I guess it wasn't very memorable).

Also it's not a full-size tub, but just a little shorter.

You also get priority boarding and debarkation and those important double points.

We'll have a JS on Oasis on our B2B in the spring -- after that cruise we'll be Diamond. After that we can go back to a regular balcony cabin ;)

Archived