More Cruises Cancelled by Voyages To Antiquity !

Cruiser Downunder

Hi Patseacruiser

In answer to your question why I have only had 9 postings previously here on cruisecritic as I have only used as cc as a way of researching new cruise operators such as Voyages to Antiquity last year prior to booking our cruise with them after my research.

Yes I did book a cruise with Voyages to Antiquity last year and as per my posting on Sept 16 2010 had a fantastic time. Feel free to read that posting! So I not only post negatives as you will see from my posting back then but I also give credit where it is due.

You ask now why only after 9 postings have I found this board to trash VtoA is ridiculous.

I have used this board only to warn those contemplating booking a cruise with this company of the dangers in doing so as according to VtoA's Managing Director there is no guarantee at all that any other cruise that I or anyone else may book in the future will go ahead due to that company receiving a any future proposal to Charter their one and only ship.

I understand that from time to time some cruises are withdrawn for a number of various reasons but this company deliberately took deposits from unsuspecting passengers whilst having no intention at all in supplying the cruise product they had advertised as they knew that the chartering in 2012 was all the time being negotiated.

If you think that is acceptable conduct and you want to risk having all your long planned overseas itinerary and travel plans thrown into disarray by this company you go ahead and book.

These boards exist not only to help people look for their next cruise but they also allow passengers such as us to warn any future passengers of the risks of booking a cruise with Voyages to Antiquity and that company's policy now to accept any charter no matter how many passengers, past or new, that have booked cruises with them.

Many travellers such as us travel great distances from Australia to join cruises in Europe which requires a great deal of planning for travel and accommodation both before and after cruises and have a limited window to schedule in holidays with our employers. The last thing we need is a company like VtoA out of the blue cancelling an integral part of our planned overseas holiday through Europe so please be warned.

we appreciate your taking the time to advise of this shocking surprise/cancellation of a cruise

Being fellow Australians, we completely understand how you must feel because we know how much in advance we have to organise, plan, pay for flights etc...... unless someone is from these parts, or eg New Zealand, they have no idea of how much it costs us down here for airfares etc....

Here in Sydney for quite some weeks we had full page ads in Sunday and Saturday Travel sections of our papers from VtA .... so glad we did not follow through, as we were going to... we are going on a VofD cruise next year, fingers crossed all going to plan so far, as we are now in the process of booking the damn expensive air fares to and from ports...

I suggest you write out a letter to send to your state's most read newspaper (for example, if you live in NSW, The Sydney Morning Herald Saturday Travel Section), outlining this shocking state of affairs and before you send it off, send a copy to the person from the shipping company you have been dealing with, advising him you are going to send it to the paper. You might be surprised with his response. We had a :mad:nightmare:mad: cruise a few years ago, did this, and ended up with a flurry of emails and phone calls from USA HQ, and a very decent credit. (we wont be sailing ever again with that line though, after using the credit)

My experience aboard AO is that Roads Scholars do indeed "travel in packs" and tend not to mingle with other passengers. I suspect the Roads Scholars organization promotes this as Roads Scholars passengers pay an extra US$800 per person - all the extra they get is a duplication of the same services provided by the cruise line to all other passengers. Why these people do not book direct with VtoA or thru a travel agent and save $800 per person is a mystery - Members of other groups have been inclusive and mingle with the other passengers freely.

Many Australians organise pre and post land travel around overseas cruises, because we have to fly so far long haul on expensive air fares.

Like many, I was attracted to this cruise company because of its unique itineraries.

However, the trend towards cancellation of cruises, with booked passengers, by both this company and the mass market cruise lines, makes it foolish for us to book cruises far in advance.

Read the HAL boards recently as someone there is also upset that his cruise was cancelled due to a charter. It is not just VTA this happens to although it would be easier for it to happen to VTA than HAL because it's a much smaller ship to fill so they don't have to buy as many cabins as a HAL ship.

My experience aboard AO is that Roads Scholars do indeed "travel in packs" and tend not to mingle with other passengers. I suspect the Roads Scholars organization promotes this as Roads Scholars passengers pay an extra US$800 per person - all the extra they get is a duplication of the same services provided by the cruise line to all other passengers. Why these people do not book direct with VtoA or thru a travel agent and save $800 per person is a mystery - Members of other groups have been inclusive and mingle with the other passengers freely.

Yes I don't get that either - Roads charges so much more and you get the same trip. And a TA can give you a little better price perhaps or some obc?

While I sympathize with your situation, I think it's fair to say that this sort of thing happens on virtually every cruiseline from time to time.

As Pat points out, here is a very recent thread with Holland America doing the same:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1529945

And Celebrity recently changed a whole slew of their itineraries in the Med (drastic changes, i.e., Eastern Med switched to Western Med, completely different ports of embarkation/disembarkation) and were not offering very much if passengers did not want to keep their existing reservations:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1499471&highlight=istanbul+cancelled

Edited to add: This thread indicates (via personal experience) that it also happens from time to time on Princess and Royal Caribbean:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1480006&highlight=chartered

When we were on the Oosterdam Nov. 2009, the crew rec. news that all the cruises had been cancelled for Feb. 2010 so the ship could be a floating hotel for the Vancouver Olympics. That would have been extremely short notice for any of the pax who had booked their winter get away.

• 1 month later...
While I sympathize with your situation, I think it's fair to say that this sort of thing happens on virtually every cruiseline from time to time.

As Pat points out, here is a very recent thread with Holland America doing the same:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1529945

And Celebrity recently changed a whole slew of their itineraries in the Med (drastic changes, i.e., Eastern Med switched to Western Med, completely different ports of embarkation/disembarkation) and were not offering very much if passengers did not want to keep their existing reservations:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1499471&highlight=istanbul+cancelled

Edited to add: This thread indicates (via personal experience) that it also happens from time to time on Princess and Royal Caribbean:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1480006&highlight=chartered

Hi cruisemom42

We all know that from time to time cruiselines sometimes charter their ships but most cruiselines have more than one ship so that other alternatives can be offered to travel on those companies sister ships.

Voyages to Antiquity only has one ship, the Aegean Odyssey , so if you want to play Russian Roulette by booking a cruise with them you go ahead.

My purpose is to warn those considering booking a cruise with Voyages to Antiquity of the real possibility that any cruise they might book may be cancelled or chartered if this company gets a better offer as was the case for us.

Hopefully the 3,700 plus people that have viewed this board topic to date have taken this information into account when planning their next holiday.

This is my final posting relating to this matter.

• 1 month later...

We have been looking at booking a cruise with Voyages to Antiquity next year and are glad we found this website forum.

We also live in Australia and to have all of our holiday plans suddenly thrown into chaos would be devastating to and is too big a risk to take for us.

It makes us now also wonder with this cruise company extending their cruise season with their new Far East itineraries when will they find time to do critical maintenance to this ageing ship. It now appears this ship has scheduled itineraries non stop from March 2012 to March 2013. Fingers crossed for those who have booked cruises.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster so we are now trying to find a cruise company with other options should a problem arise such as the recent Costa Allegra breakdown.

Thanks for keeping us informed

We are on the March 18, 2012 sailing, Athens to Rome and was told by a Voyages to Antiquity representative that the ship will be coming out of dry-dock just prior to the start of this season.

I must also comment on the wonderful customer service we have received from this company. I have found them to be very responsive and helpful and through no request by us, we have been twice upgraded and at no additional cost. So far, we have nothing but good things to say about V2A and we haven't even yet sailed.

Hi Guys

Just joined up today and it is with horror that I read about the aegean odysses

cancelled cruises. I have just paid a large deposit for a trip that starts in singapore on 6th Dec 2012..I also booked with Cruise Traveller after an advert in the local sunday travel section of the paper..Anyone else going on this and worried?

K:confused:

• 1 month later...

Hey Pat, maybe the upgrade fairy will visit if people are uncertain...I booked this cruise a long long way out? Anyway I am still excited about our September cruise with V to A..I hope they have enough bookings to semi fill the ship and leave room for the upgrade fairy to find me and my friends. Final payments for us next month.

As for other cruise lines cancelling..yes they do, but I guess if its a cruise from your home port or even your home country its not the same as if it cancels half way across the world from you.

Cheers

Sue

V2A has announced that they are cancelling the October 27 - time fears the pyramids - cruise to accommodate all of the new renovations that will include moving the spa to deck 4 and adding cabins on the Lido deck.

The changes will be ready for the Asia tours.

I checked with my agent today and at this point all seems fine for our cruise on the 24th September. Perhaps the line should write to its booked passengers telling them of the plans so that people dont panic. The internet site in Australia is still showing the cancelled cruises which is not a good look either since they are obviously not available.

I am wondering what the proposed cabins on the Lido deck will mean to the present configuration, will there be a reduction in the amount of public space?

Sue

What a shame to see that Voyages to Antiquity have cancelled another cruise this time it's 28 October 2012 cruise ‘Time Fears the Pyramids’.

Just another PR nightmare for this company. I feel so sorry for all of those who had booked the Time Fears the Pyramids cruise.

No matter what upgrades VtoA do to the Aegean Odyssey I will bet there are again a great number of very disappointed customers now with their travel plans turned upside down and now trying to find alternative cruises or tours.

Whatever the spin VtoA puts on these proposed upgrade works and the cancellation of the 28 October 2012 cruise it appears this company continues to cancel cruises on a whim by throwing these customers off their booked cruise.

It simply highlights that all of my previous warnings/postings were real and justified.

My TA sent me a schematic of the changes onboard and there are alot including new cabins on the Lido and the spa will be moved to Deck 4.

As for the cancelled cruises - I've got no idea how many were booked but the company did give them lots of notice and probably a lot of compensation for same. Again, this kind of thing happens a lot on most cruiselines, most recently Viking who had to cancel 4 or 5 cruises on one of their new vessels because the work was not completed and with extremely short notice.

Still looking forward to my trip in December;) Shar

Feeling reassured, my agent tells me that the cruise is 70% booked already and we still have more than a month until final payment..she also assures me that the company has no plans for anymore cancellations...whew..feeling much better now I can go back to being excited!

Sue

I am one of those who was on the October Egypt cruise which was just cancelled. To make matters worse the new one they will offer is in March and I was already booked on a cruise with Voy of A the one Sri Lanka to India. Now, I will have to choose between Egypt or India as there is a gap in between of 5 days. I do not want to spend 5 days in either Cairo or India as a filler. The only alternative is to start with the Golden Triangle and go to Istanbul. This will eliminate Cairo and Singapore and then have 5 days of cruising the Red Sea. It also will be a 32 day cruise. Bummer

I am one of those who was on the October Egypt cruise which was just cancelled. To make matters worse the new one they will offer is in March and I was already booked on a cruise with Voy of A the one Sri Lanka to India. Now, I will have to choose between Egypt or India as there is a gap in between of 5 days. I do not want to spend 5 days in either Cairo or India as a filler. The only alternative is to start with the Golden Triangle and go to Istanbul. This will eliminate Cairo and Singapore and then have 5 days of cruising the Red Sea. It also will be a 32 day cruise. Bummer

Sorry that your plans have been disrupted. The only solution is to do another cruise another time to pick up the ports you missed. Cairo is pretty iffy at the moment..and Singapore is a hub for many cruises so is more accessable another time perhaps. I would go for India personally.

I have just been reading an article on Vto A in a travel magazine the photos and the article were very interesting so I am even more excited for our September cruise in the Med.

Sue

Librarian - so sorry to hear that your cruise got cancelled. I was wondering if you thought about doing a 4 day excursion in Egypt outside of Cairo. Heaven knows there's lots to see and maybe your TA could arrange something for you, join an existing tour for awhile or something.

I can sympathise with you librarian about your cancelled cruise.

It is hard to believe from the announced proposed 'enhancement works' which "will include the addition of 18 deluxe and superior outside staterooms on Lido Deck, the relocation of the Jacuzzi to the mid ships pool area, and the Spa to Columbus Deck" can be completed in only 17 days.

If I were booked on any of the cruises immediately following the 28 October cancelled cruise, such as the November 14 & 25 cruise departure dates, I would be extremely concerned as the scope of works to be done is considerable and it is quite possible that it will take longer than has been scheduled by VtoA.

Don't be surprised if more cruises are cancelled!

After much deliberation I rebooked for a grand tour which leaves from Delhi and ends in Istanbul. This will take in most of what I was to see on the 2 separate cruises and costing much less. I had to sacrifice Singapore, Cochin, Cairo but that is the breaks of the game. I hope by March the refit is over. I must say I was treated well by the company. I did get an upgrade etc. The drawback of this cruise is 5 consecutive days at sea. With the addition of these rooms I think the deck which you once could have outside space on is now filled with cabins so I might be stir crazy by the time this is over.

So glad that things got straightend around for you. 5 consecutive sea days does seem a lot but V2A usually runs 2 lectures per day in that case and I hope that this year they may run a movie or trivia too.

The new cabins are replacing what was the spa, gym and a washroom so I think the cabins will be on the same basic footprint.

Enjoy your cruise and all the new ports! - Shar

So glad that things got straightend around for you. 5 consecutive sea days does seem a lot but V2A usually runs 2 lectures per day in that case and I hope that this year they may run a movie or trivia too.

The new cabins are replacing what was the spa, gym and a washroom so I think the cabins will be on the same basic footprint.

Enjoy your cruise and all the new ports! - Shar

Hi Ontariotrekker

In regards to the new cabins to be built on the Lido deck librarians fears are correct.

The footprint is much larger than you think and takes up almost the entire aft end of the ship where there used to be open deck. See the attached links:

Current layout

http://us.voyagestoantiquity.com/deck/lido-2.html

New 2013 layout

http://us.voyagestoantiquity.com/deck-2013/lido-11.html

As you all can see there will be little or no room at the rear of this deck to enjoy the sun shine as there is currently.

Cruiser Downunder - just wondering what the bashing is really all about because the only posts you have are on this thread bashing V2A. You contribute no where else to anything positive or what else you're doing in the wake of your cancelled cruise specifically. Inquiring minds want to know.

Archived