HAL cancelled my cruise!!!

kas51

Hi all...Just to advise, I booked a cruise in July 2011 to sail on Ryndam around the Iberian coast. I have just been notified that the cruise is now 'Chartered'. Therefore my booking has been canceled, and anyone else's who booked this cruise. So much for booking early!!!

HAL are offering $100 OBC for those affected...WOW!!

I have planned my entire 5 week holiday around this cruise and am very disappointed...

Is this a first? or has anyone else had this happen to them?

:mad:

Sorry for your disappointment. Happily they have given you lots of notice to find something else that appeals to you.

All cruise lines do this and it is not unusual, though annoying, for sure.

(I'm quite sure you mean July 2012, or you missed the boat a long time ago. ;) ) :D

Oh, how disappointing for you! I can't say that I'm terribly impressed with the $100 offer as many people make quite a few of their arrangements for overseas travel pretty far in advance. Perhaps you'll be able to book the cruise before or after the one that was chartered.

Hi all...Just to advise, I booked a cruise in July 2011 to sail on Ryndam around the Iberian coast. I have just been notified that the cruise is now 'Chartered'. Therefore my booking has been canceled, and anyone else's who booked this cruise. So much for booking early!!!

I have planned my entire 5 week holiday around this cruise and am very disappointed...

So you booked this Ryndam cruise during July 2011, but when is the cruise scheduled to sail? (or did I read this backwards?)

Our July 2012 14-day Amsterdam cruise was chartered after we had booked (and broken into two 7-day sailings), so now we are sailing 2 weeks later than we originally planned. I'm so sorry that this happened to you.

I booked a cruise for the Panama Canal for May 2013. This is the only one that I could get to line up with my holidays. HAL moved it to the start of May which doesn't work for me. I got nothing for it ...not even sorry about that. At least you are getting an OBC.

So you booked this Ryndam cruise during July 2011, but when is the cruise scheduled to sail? (or did I read this backwards?)

Our July 2012 14-day Amsterdam cruise was chartered after we had booked (and broken into two 7-day sailings), so now we are sailing 2 weeks later than we originally planned. I'm so sorry that this happened to you.

I am sorry to say those things happen. I got bumped off this cruise also. I had to go at that time. So, I will be on the Volendam at this same time.

I am sorry this happened to you. Do you already have your airline tickets and other prepaid expenses for your 5 week trip.

Maybe, someone can answer this question? Why don't those groups which charter cruises have to book the ship before HAL offers the bookings to the general public? This would solve a lot of problems for the pax.

My friend who usually cruises with Princess was booked on a cruise that cancelled her cruise, because the group needed the cabins. She was given $700 obc and a cabin category upgrade. Was she given so much because of her past passenger status and her cabin type?

We were booked for the July 13th 2012, AK 14 day cruise onboard the Amerstdam and the cruise was bought out by a group, we settled for the June 29th sailing. We are very disappointed because DW would have celebrated her birthday and, our wedding anniversary on the July 13th sailing.

So sorry that this has happened to you and your vacations plans are now upset.

Yes -- we have had this happen several times over the years with HAL. One time it happened after we had bought air fare. Fortunately we had refundable tickets.

I booked it in July 2011 for August 2012..it was the only Iberian cruise available in August. (I have to be in the Uk for a wedding in August) I believe it was a corporate charter, so must be something to do with the Olympics I think.. the main problem I have is trying to book something else, e.g. tour..that fits into the 14 day space that is left...no matter!! Glad you had a good result..!!

I am sorry this happened to you. Do you already have your airline tickets and other prepaid expenses for your 5 week trip.

Maybe, someone can answer this question? Why don't those groups which charter cruises have to book the ship before HAL offers the bookings to the general public? This would solve a lot of problems for the pax.

My friend who usually cruises with Princess was booked on a cruise that cancelled her cruise, because the group needed the cabins. She was given $700 obc and a cabin category upgrade. Was she given so much because of her past passenger status and her cabin type?

Hi..Yes that is correct, all flights booked, international and 3 other flights including 1 to get to the cruise... I can cancel the pre cruise accomodation as that was not paid for yet...that is why it is difficult to find a tour/cruise to 'slot' into that exact 14 day period...see my other comments re the London Olympics...

I agree with your comments, it is not as if they have not known about the Olympics for at least 4 years!!!!

So sorry that this has happened to you and your vacations plans are now upset.

Yes -- we have had this happen several times over the years with HAL. One time it happened after we had bought air fare. Fortunately we had refundable tickets.

Hi, the thing is , I have to be in the Uk for a wedding, so I have to go..the reason I booked so early was because of the Olympics being on in London..I am more disappointed that the cruise company can just pull the rug out from underneath you(me) in this way...it is pretty shabby in my view...and you know what, it has unnerved me somewhat, particularly about booking another cruise...at present I am trying to find a tour to fill the gap. I will definately be booking a guaranteed departure tour.....I guess I have just lost faith..that's all...

I think this is the charter the OP is talking about:

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/features/cruise/2012/

You can still book, it may cost a bit more. This should not be a rowdy group. Lots of music, though. EM

OMG...so it is not the London Olympics afterall...ad the prices are higher too, as you suggested

We've read here of Prairie Home charters in the past. This is not their first charter.

Indeed! :)

http://www.chesterh.com/510

Some of us here will recall the stories told via Cruise Critic post installments by CC user "chesterh"... but be forewarned, the CC posts and those on his site end early -- they'll leave you hanging. ;)

I think this is the charter the OP is talking about:

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/features/cruise/2012/

You can still book, it may cost a bit more. This should not be a rowdy group. Lots of music, though. EM

A BIT more? $3400 to $4300 for an outside stateroom on an eleven day cruise is atrocious. Better to listen to Garrison Keilor on the radio!

Dan

That stinks that the it was sold from beneath you like that. Personally, if I was running a business, I'd not sell anything out from beneath my customers as the customers aren't buying the watch but the man. Those that were booked/paid, they'd be golden and the folks looking to charter would be outta luck.

Derek

I can't find in the cruisecontract that it is possible for HAL to cancel a cruise for these reasons. Please can you help me to find it?

All cruise contracts are written for the benefit of the cruiseline. The cruiseline can cancel a cruise for just about any reason it wishes at any time. To the customer the contracts aren't even worth the paper they are written on. Unless the contract states specifically something the cruiseline cannot do, they can do anything they wish to do, and you'll have a hard time finding a "can't do" in any contract. It's not even worth the time to read the contract.

Just follow the money.

I can't find in the cruisecontract that it is possible for HAL to cancel a cruise for these reasons. Please can you help me to find it?

Cruises can be cancelled or changed for a great many reasons:

Charter, Mechanical Malfunction, Sinking, War, "Acts of God", etc.

Just be glad you weren't booked with one of the few lines that have gone out of business over the years and left passengers with nothing, including no refunds on deposits or fares!

Archived