shopping in Barbados

nelderwoman

Hi

Barbados is the last stop on our P&O cruise.

We are swimming with the turtles in the morning and just wanted to wander around the town in the afternoon.

I am shocked as most of the reviews are not great.

Can you tell me how far is the town from the pier? would we need a taxi?

What is the shopping like in the town?

Any info gratefully received

Many thanks:)

At the cruise ship terminal there are lots of stores right there.

At the same time around 1 miles from the cruise ship terminal is the downtown area.

Personally my experience is that you can do a lot of the shopping at the pier.

Keith

AFTER I got back home and was going over information I picked up during my cruise, I read that there's good shopping on the west coast of Barbados in the area near the popular swim-with-turtles beaches. Now I have to go back to Barbados since I missed this on my trip!

Here's a link to a site that I just found with very detailed information on the shopping that's available:

http://*********************************/barbados/Shopping/West_Coast_Shopping/

Please post a review if you decide to go! That'll help me make my decision for my return to Barbados next year.

Sorry, cruisecritic blanked out the link! Google "holetown shopping barbados" and I think it's the third site down.

Hi

Barbados is the last stop on our P&O cruise.

We are swimming with the turtles in the morning and just wanted to wander around the town in the afternoon.

I am shocked as most of the reviews are not great.

Can you tell me how far is the town from the pier? would we need a taxi?

What is the shopping like in the town?

Any info gratefully received

Many thanks:)

We were in Barbados a year ago and used the day for relaxing and shopping. In the am we shopped the cruise terminal shopping area first for a bit (later in the day it was much more crowded and warmer as a/c was not keeping up with number of people in building and doors being opened.) It offers a nice variety of small soveniers to a bit more expensive Cave Sheppard store,a Best of Barbados,Earthenworks pottery etc. It is right at end of pier. It is a cruise terminal duty free shopping area- for cruisers only.2370681570103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

We then exited cruise shopping area, and outside are a few stalls of local venbdors selling t-shirts and the rayon type dresses. If you keep walking you will pass Stoutes Car rental and just ahead is taxi area. Walk past taxis and outside gates will follow a nicely landscaped sidewalk along waterfront to Pelican Craft Center. I had a pedometer and it was .45 from the ship, and about 10min fast pace. It is very nice, but disppointed in the lack of shops open. However my favorite shop was found here (if it is still open) in back right side- a very nice gift shop that we went to in fact twice-because we just had to go back for items we were "thinking about".

walk to Pelican Craft Center:2231385840103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

Just outside Craft Center:

2363731260103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

Inside view of center: Our facorite shop had very nice clay figurines that we hope to get more of buy a local artist Rosalyn and hope to purchase more of they have them. It is a wonderful store. Other stores I recall were a cigar factory, wireworks, galleries, a restaurant and farther around corner a working pottery studio that was out of the way.

2723764900103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

We came across a young local entrepeneur making bendable figurines. He basically took wire and

wrapped thick rope and then yarn around it creating little "people" who were poseable. A few he had even glued soccer balls to them. He was not pushy, just a very friendly man.

We were going to buy one for $8 and he offered two for $15.

Really this is likely the most original item we bought this cruise.

Our college son loved his "rasta" bright colored one.

2880148140103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

I will review downtown shopping in next post

p.s.

Note: If walking to Pelican Craft center- it is quite "dumb" but one must cross from the shed vendor stalls which are shoreside and sidewalk to other side as "pedestrian exit" is on left side of this secure entrance. Here one would get a taxi or shuttle if they wished (more on THAT topic later--yes it is an irritating one.)

Continued from post asking about shopping in Barbados:

Our experience cont.

It was now about 1:00pm after a quick lunch on the ship. We again walked through ship terminal to taxi stand out back. There were plenty of long extended type taxis or "shuttles" and some standard cars lined up. The shelter of shade only had a few people. One single lady was waiting and happy to hear we were going downtown. She was told "had to have at least 4- before go downtown" so after 2-3 minutes getting irritated stated we were no longer waiting. OK--taxi was motioned up. It would be $12 or $4 per person.

They do not believe in using a/c here it appears. Just a short ride to downtown, but on a day like today too hot to think of walking there.

We were dropped off what appeared to be the main street or Broad Street

in front of a large department store I believe called Cave Shepard. It was huge,two stories, airconditioned, and many,many departments including Victoria Secret,Bookstore & Sephora. The main street of Bridgetown. It consists mainly of tax free outlets, banks, large department stores, and smelled a few wonderful food opportunites. Mostly the barbeque that was so tempting from a local fast food location. There are a few larger stores on this street, and many small local places to browse through. It is much like a downtown area of a large US city. I did find it surprising in Cave Sheppard -"the largest" shop that it held Victoria Secret,Sephora,standard depts. like a Macy's would have. Very Americanized IMO.

I actually preferred the architechture, historical buildings in area and the waterfront area more worth the trip than the shopping. If you want to skip department style shopping, I'd opt for historic/waterfront drop off by taxi.

We noted after crossing street,at the corner it became apparent pedestrians must have right of way in Barbados.

In downtown Bridgetown one can see Barbados Parliament Building and Clock tower,

and St.Mary's Angelican Church 1825, and National Heroes Square and War Memorial and fountain gardens.

2017947350103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

Crossing the Chamberlain Bridge came about what appeared as fruit & vegetable market, trinkets and souvenier stores and restaurant along the marina.

2100510380103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

Shops along marina area:

2061072830103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

2416075850103372150S600x600Q85.jpg

Here is photo of taxi stand- passing time playing Dominos. So for shopping purchased a glass mobile at a waterfront shop and took photos. Next time will visit our favorite shop (hoping it is there) in Pelican Craft Center, and see if we can get to Harrison caves and Holetown up the west coast for shopping and perhaps a beach.

2672061160103372150S425x425Q85.jpg

By now we considered taking a taxi offer from one of the domino players, but decided we'd explore a bit more. We walked back across bridge, this time hugging the shore. At first it seemed do-able to walk back-breezy and all then the sun hit and changed routes back to department store area. We came upon a large extended van knowing it was a taxi and said $4 take us back- deal, we hopped in, and it was airconditioned. Then a moment later a knock on window--get out he will take you back. There was a small car with two other passengers already inside car.(Never would have gotten in if it was empty) it did have some signage or old dead meter inside though. My DH got in front, and I joined other couple in the back. We started moving and I started to put window up thinking air would be on. No go...driver says costs too much to turn on, enjoy the breeze. Huh? what breeze. cannot argue here-- So it was so hot, and DH was sitting roasting in front seat in full sun. Thankfully a short ride. We get out and driver comes over to us and says $10--what! First driver said $4--oh no he is shuttle I am car. $10. Not wanting to get into an altercation, or like passengers in Aruba grudglingly paid him only the $10. DH thought he heard other couple pay $6 or 8. We are smarter than that . Ask driver the fare in clear answer--like per person?? Total etc. They got us on that one. So be warned.

In Barbados the official language is English, but Bajan (a local English-derived dialect, and largely difficult to understand) is often heard -I bet that what they used when the taxi switch went on!

Wish I had gotten license or car # -would have told gate people for what it is worth. So be careful.

So for shopping purchased a glass mobile at a waterfront shop and took photos. Next time will visit our favorite shop (hoping it is there) in Pelican Craft Center, shop at cruise terminal (prices were fair and no worse than downtown-didn't see a reason to return for shopping downtown really-except historic and waterfront area) and see if we can get to Harrison caves and Holetown up the west coast for shopping and perhaps a beach.

The shopping you can walk to in Barbados is just not that good, especially as compared to ports like St. Thomas or St. Maarten. When we were in the taxi driving on the west coast, we did see some interesting small shopping areas along the way but I don't have a particular area to recommend. It is also a pretty long (albeit walkable) way from the ship to downtown, and it is of course very warm and humid. We walked it one way but we were quite warm and uncomfortable by the time we got back to the ship. You can catch a cab each way for a small amount - I want to say $3 US but I can't recall for sure

The shopping you can walk to in Barbados is just not that good, especially as compared to ports like St. Thomas or St. Maarten. It is also a pretty long (albeit walkable) way from the ship to downtown, and it is of course very warm and humid. We walked it one way but we were quite warm and uncomfortable by the time we got back to the ship. You can catch a cab each way for a small amount - I want to say $3 US but I can't recall for sure

Yes, I agree take a taxi to get to shopping and back for downtown. For $3 each way based on 4 people it is worth it. We tried walking back, and decided a taxi was worth it after starting out in humidity and sun.

The shopping you can walk to in Barbados is just not that good, especially as compared to ports like St. Thomas or St. Maarten. When we were in the taxi driving on the west coast, we did see some interesting small shopping areas along the way but I don't have a particular area to recommend. It is also a pretty long (albeit walkable) way from the ship to downtown, and it is of course very warm and humid. We walked it one way but we were quite warm and uncomfortable by the time we got back to the ship. You can catch a cab each way for a small amount - I want to say $3 US but I can't recall for sure

Did you see or get to Chatel Village near Holetown? We are condidering renting a jeep for day and sight seeing up west coast and heard of that area. Wondering if it is worth renting a car for day, or just taking an excursion to caves and perhaps a taxi tour instead.

"Did you see or get to Chattel Village near Holetown? We are condidering renting a jeep for day and sight seeing up west coast and heard of that area. Wondering if it is worth renting a car for day, or just taking an excursion to caves and perhaps a taxi tour instead."

You know, the buses are just great that run up the west coast. I think it's US$1.00 now but they will easily take you up Holetown and Speightstown above it. Points north and east, too, but the schedule becomes....erratic and not for day visitors.

The rental car is fine, too, especially if you're used to driving on the left, with no, or poor signage.

If you choose the rental, perhaps a jeep or a minimoke isn't the best choice. Although rare, folks have been accosted and robbed in open-aire vehicles, mainly in the cane fields. It is for this reason that you won't see many locals driving them.

Although more expensive, I always recommend a taxi tour. Drivers know their island and the what-where-and-how do see it best. An early taxi to see Harrison's to beat the tours, then return to Holetown to explore and, after you've seen all of the beauty you can stand, bus-it back to the ship for a buck.

That would be a relativity cheap but fulfilling day.

Best Holiday to you! :)

"Did you see or get to Chattel Village near Holetown? We are condidering renting a jeep for day and sight seeing up west coast and heard of that area. Wondering if it is worth renting a car for day, or just taking an excursion to caves and perhaps a taxi tour instead."

You know, the buses are just great that run up the west coast. I think it's US$1.00 now but they will easily take you up Holetown and Speightstown above it. Points north and east, too, but the schedule becomes....erratic and not for day visitors.

The rental car is fine, too, especially if you're used to driving on the left, with no, or poor signage.

If you choose the rental, perhaps a jeep or a minimoke isn't the best choice. Although rare, folks have been accosted and robbed in open-aire vehicles, mainly in the cane fields. It is for this reason that you won't see many locals driving them.

Although more expensive, I always recommend a taxi tour. Drivers know their island and the what-where-and-how do see it best. An early taxi to see Harrison's to beat the tours, then return to Holetown to explore and, after you've seen all of the beauty you can stand, bus-it back to the ship for a buck.

That would be a relativity cheap but fulfilling day.

Best Holiday to you! :)

Wow, thanks for valuable and insightful tips. I think a taxi tour is in order then, and a narrative too. Scratch the jeep from list.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived