Leaving a Tot behind

4THELOVEOFBOO

I am leaving in two weeks, i am very excited about our cruise but nervous to leave my 3 year old. I know that he is in good hands with my parents but just feeling a little anxious leaving him. Anyone leave young children behind before and does the anxiety go away when your on vaca???

Have you left him with them before?

My parents and in-laws took turns watching my son when we went on vacation and I was fine with it because they had watched him many times before we left.

In this day and age you can stay in touch if that makes you feel better.

I traveled way before computers/cell phones were around.

We left our 2yr old and our 6th old with my parents when my husband and I went on the Legend for 7 days in August. I was a little anxious leaving them for the week, but I was fine once I stepped on the ship. My mother keeps them all the time, so I wasn't worried about their care, I was just worried about me missing them. But we had a great childfree vacation, and the kids love staying at grandma and pop-pops. Have fun and enjoy each other.

Nervous? why? Your parents did a good job with you.

Bonding time with the grandparents is fabulous. I wish my kids would go away and leave her with me for long extended times-- we would have a ball.

With that being said-- you need bonding times with your spouse too.

Take some pictures with you- focus on your honey and its only 7 days-- you will be home before you know it.

Nervous? why? Your parents did a good job with you.

Bonding time with the grandparents is fabulous. I wish my kids would go away and leave her with me for long extended times-- we would have a ball.

With that being said-- you need bonding times with your spouse too.

Take some pictures with you- focus on your honey and its only 7 days-- you will be home before you know it.

Why be nervous? Are you afraid what people will say? There's always going to be a goodie twoshoe that swears the child won't survive not being with a parent. Or, I'd miss her/him!! Face it, that child will be in your life always, so a week away isn't going to scar that child for life. I think it's wonderful for a couple to get away and just tend to each other for a change. Yes, you'll feel something is missing...it's called a change in routine! No 24/7 babysitting! I don't see why people bring young children on a cruise, most of the time is spent at a kiddie pool, kid activities. These are all things that can be done at home. Except for pictures to show them later in life, a cruise really doesn't mean anything to them and you've missed a great vacation for adults.

We just got back from the Freedom and left our five kids for ten days with my parents. The hardest thing for me about leaving my kids is the lack of contact. Thanks to this forum we found a free way to maintain contact while on the ship. While on board, it is free to go to carnival's web site. On the top right of their site, click on community and buzz and the forums. Under 'User groups' there is a sub category of 'currently on board'. We started a thread there, and my parents, kids, and I would all communicate that way.

I am leaving in two weeks, i am very excited about our cruise but nervous to leave my 3 year old. I know that he is in good hands with my parents but just feeling a little anxious leaving him. Anyone leave young children behind before and does the anxiety go away when your on vaca???

The BEST thing for healthy kids is HAPPY parents. Parents who have a happy healthy marriage raise well adjusted kids. If you approach this as he is going to have his own special vacation while you are on yours he will view it as a big adventure too. Talk about the surprises you will bring him back and pictures you will take and how quick you will be back to see him. It is SO healthy for parents to have time away from their kids and will do everyone good. Enjoy the time and do not worry. Everything will be fine. Upload a picture and email it to him everyday and send him an email then come back refreshed and ready to have fun as a family again.

By all means have a wonderful time! As a grandparent I can tell you your child will thrive getting all that grand love. I like the idea of an email a day with a picture of you (with an animal if you can, kids that age are crazy for animals--even towel ones).

The first time we went away alone our son was 3. We left him and the dog with the grandparents. At the end of the week we arrived anxious to take our little guy home. He did not want to leave because he was having fun playing with their neighbors, but the dog hopped right in the car. We only lived about 15 minutes away so we went home without the kid and my parents fed and bathed him and brought him home in his pj's. He fell asleep in the car and woke up in his own bed very angry that he was not at Grandma's. Never had a problem leaving him after that!

I know that feeling :)

For me (can't say it will be the same for you) from the minute we planned our vacation away from the kids, I was stressed. I stressed and felt awful every minute of every day UNTIL we left the house. Once we were on the road, I immediately started to feel better and we had a fabulous vacation.

I'd like to tell you that I never was anxious again, but I swear, even when my kids were older and I left them, I still was a basket case until we were on our way.

The anticipation, for me, is always a killer.

This didn't go away until my kids gew up and THEY left home. :rolleyes:

Being a parent really sucks the life out of you. :p:p

Your baby is going to have a fabulous and memorable time with the people he will adore the most in his life, his grandparents. You are truly giving your son and your parents a gift by giving them alone time. :)

I hope you have a great cruise :) remember this (this is my theory...) From the minute the cord is cut, your job (and it is NOT easy) is to teach your child to be seperate from you and confident while away from you. You have 18 to 20 years to accomplish this. This is how you start....what better hands to leave him in than your loving parents!!!

We are headed home today from the Dream and if I could do it again I would have left my 11 month old home with her grandparents. ;) She got very clingy with me and she did sleep in her crib but was generally unhappy. All excursions were planned during her regular nap time and she wouldn't sleep very long in her stroller. And she didn't last very long at dinner time either, so many dinners were cut short for me or dh. Now my 5 yr old son loved it and I had no problems with him. We cruised with my son when he was 7months and 15 months and it was great with him, so it never occurred to me that my daughter would have issues. Oh well, guess every child is different.

I'm planning for my next trip to be kidless! :o unless it is Disney!

We just got back from the Freedom and left our five kids for ten days with my parents. The hardest thing for me about leaving my kids is the lack of contact. Thanks to this forum we found a free way to maintain contact while on the ship. While on board, it is free to go to carnival's web site. On the top right of their site, click on community and buzz and the forums. Under 'User groups' there is a sub category of 'currently on board'. We started a thread there, and my parents, kids, and I would all communicate that way.

Thanks for posting this. Can you access these boards without paying for internet time on the ship?

Thanks for posting this. Can you access these boards without paying for internet time on the ship?

Yes, I read on a different thread that Carnival's website is the only one that can be viewed for free while onboard. That was the purpose of this tip, so you can keep in touch without having to pay for internet usage.

Yes, I read on a different thread that Carnival's website is the only one that can be viewed for free while onboard. That was the purpose of this tip, so you can keep in touch without having to pay for internet usage.

It's my understanding you can access it in the internet cafe as well as your laptop, without paying fees. There was a recent thread about this on here, so keep looking back a few days and you may find it. We plan to use this feature on our next cruise.

My husband and I traveled a lot without our son while he was growing up, for business, and it was great for him. He grew into a well adjusted man and now goes off with his wife a couple times a year without his kids! Spouses do need that time alone together, as stated in previous threads.

I was one of those nervous-ninny parents who never could bear the thought of leaving my kids behind. As a result, my husband and I never had any time to rejuvenate and relax by ourselves. All of our vacations were family vacations.

I realize now, that I not only cheated myself, but I denied my wonderful in-laws of the bonding time they would have loved to have with my children. I rarely even let my children spend the night with them, even though they provided wonderful care. I feel bad now that I was so protective and in a sense- selfish.

If your parents are willing and able to care for your children, then go, relax, and let your children and their grandparents create their own special memories.

We left our 7, 5, and 3 year old boys with my mom for a seven day cruises almost two years ago. It was really hard for me when we were first driving away, but I got past it and thoroughly enjoyed the alone time with my husband. By the end, I was SO ready to see them again! But, it was great to actually miss my children. As a SAHM, who also homeschool, that just doesn't happen often. :D

We did it when our son was just 9 months old. He did perfectly fine with the grandparents and they head a great time with him. It was harder on us because we missed him. We are getting ready to do it again in just a few weeks.

I think a break is great for parents and children. it helps them be a little more independent and helps you get some alone time. It will let you recharge your batteries.

Have a great trip!

We have a 2 year old who just sailed on his 3rd cruise. Part of the reason why he has already completed 3 cruises at his young age is because we've felt like we didn't want to leave him behind, and because they were fairly simple, inexpensive cruises. I understand your feelings. It's normal.

However, as he gets older and we look forward to more elaborate cruises (Eastern Mediterranean and Alaska), we are planning on leaving him behind with the grandparents. We know that he'll be taken care of...

Never took a cruise and left my kids behind, but have gone on plenty of regular vacations without them. I love my kids, but that doesn't mean I want to spend 52 out of 52 weeks a year with them. 50 or 51 works pretty well. I don't have the slightest problem with it. I sort of understand when I hear posts like from the OP, but I can't say I ever "feel" that.

Thanks everyone!!! I have to say I feel better, I am a SAHM so it will be nice to have a break and his favorite people in the world are his grandparents so he is in good hands!!! Thanks again for all words of wisdom, I kind of thought that not many people left their kids behind, but it is nice to know that people do and that it is healthy!! Happy Cruising :D

Archived