Cell Phones

younglk

While charges to use a cell phone on a ship are less expensive than using the in cabin phone, the roaming charges are fairly high. Plus, unless you want to come home to a huge bill, dont use a cell phone for internet access. I've seen and heard of bills in the five figures.

Yes, if you are with AT&T, then you pay $2.49 a minute to talk or 50 cents to send a text and 5 cents to receive a text when you are on the "Cellular at Sea" network when at sea on the ships.....its always more in port since you pay roaming charges and international rates. Unless you are in St Thomas or Puerto Rico or any other US territory. You ned to check with you cell phone provider before you leave.

Yes, if you are with AT&T, then you pay $2.49 a minute to talk or 50 cents to send a text and 5 cents to receive a text when you are on the "Cellular at Sea" network when at sea on the ships.....its always more in port since you pay roaming charges and international rates. Unless you are in St Thomas or Puerto Rico or any other US territory. You ned to check with you cell phone provider before you leave.

Most of the major cell companies have similar charges to the AT&T ones above.

As mentioned, many of the cell phones do work on the ship. If you call the carrier that you use you can verify whether or not this will work and what the cost will be.

It's a good option to have should you need to reach others in an emergency or for in those situations where a call is necessary.

Sometimes the quality works perfectly but other times you may encounter dropped calls or situations where it is hard to hear or be heard.

Keith

I'm with Sprint. When I arrive in a new foreign location, if I turn on my phone, I get a text message detailing the prices for all of the services. Sometime I just turn off the phone and sometimes I do text because it's the least expensive. When I was on AT&T I would add the international plan ($6.00 a month) for the duration of the trip. Then the roaming charge was $.99 a minute for calls. I think the texting charge was minimal.

I have Verizon and I switch to the international plan for the cruise. I sign in to the Verizon web site and they have all the information about coverage and cost for each country. I would either look it up on the providers web site or call them and the representative should be able to help you with that information.

Archived