Burchart Gardens?

Tina G

Burchart Gardens Private Tour?

DH is totally into plant life. We will be on the Sea Princess in May 2012, and our time will be limited. He wants to go directly to the gardens and spend as much time as possible there. Does anyone know a private source that he can hire? He doesn't want to see the Butterfly Pavillion.

I am not aware of a private tour but as your time is limited you should know that the gardens are in a rural area some 30+ mins from the cruise terminal, a taxi would be an option but I would guess the fare would be some $50 in either direction and you would have the issue of being picked up. With limited time in port, often the best option is the ship's excursion however you could try CVS Cruise Victoria but their's would not be as time efficient and the ships.

http://www.cvscruisevictoria.com/cruiseship_shuttle.html

http://www.taxicab.com/home.html

We could provide a better answer if we knew exactly how much time you have in port. If you're only there for a few hours, then the ship's tour is the best bet to ensure you get back onboard before sailing. They usually have tours that don't include the Butterfly Gardens. Taking the time to rent a car and then finding your way out to Butchart's would be a waste in my mind. Yes a taxi would be in the $50 range and you would have to arrange for them to pick you back up but it might be the fastest. You should also check out CVS Cruise Victoria as Putt suggested.

Putterdude - would a rental car be an option for the OP? Or would the time spent at the agency signing up and turning back the car be wasted time? Are there rental car agencies close to the port?

Yes, a rental car would be a good option, the rental companies will pick you up at the pier and shuttle you the 3 1/2 mins to their downtown locations. I would contact the local office, tell them what you are up to, give them all the information they need for the contract over the phone and then it is only a matter of signing the document and away you go. They will even give you a map. Traveling to Victoria a lot on business over the years I found Budget very good to deal with. I would think your cost would be about $40/$50.

If you decide to do the rental car option, make sure you know Butchart Gardens' hours at that time. We were there in late May of this year. Our tour was the Butchart & Butterfly Gardens pairing. When we got to Butchart, the private car lot was empty. The only visitors were the ones with tour groups. We were there for an evening port call on a Saturday in late May.

Archived