disabled parking question

cruisenotbooze

Just found out that my husbands Aunt may be riding with us to the cruise terminal. She has a handicapped parking hanger, and i heard that parking would be free? but she doesnt have the same last name as either my husband or I ? and shes not driving- didnt know if that mattered or did not? And does she need anything other than the blue hanger?

Miami?

That's the only one that gives free parking with just a handicapped lanyard.

I think she just has to show the documentation that came with the lanyard and her driver's license. She has to be in the car (I think), but doesn't have to be driving.

Again...only for Miami.

Just found out that my husbands Aunt may be riding with us to the cruise terminal. She has a handicapped parking hanger, and i heard that parking would be free? but she doesnt have the same last name as either my husband or I ? and shes not driving- didnt know if that mattered or did not? And does she need anything other than the blue hanger?

The placards are designed to be used in any vehicle the card owner is traveling in.

It does not matter who the vehicle is registered to as long as the card owner is in there.

The cards we have here in VA have the card owners name, date of birth etc on the backside of card. My FIL had one that we used in 5 different vehicles depending on who was driving him where.

http://www.port-of-charleston.com/cruises/passengers/vehicle_storage.asp

Here is the link for Charleston port parking.

Port Canaveral is NOT free. $15 a day like the rest of us.

Not according to the cruise terminal site.

http://www.portcanaveral.com/cruising/parking.php

Parking for the Disabled

Special parking spaces are provided. The parking fee is waived for vehicles that:

1. Have special equipment such as ramps, lifts, foot or hand controls; or

2. Display the Florida Toll Exemption permit. (Call 800-983-2435 ext. 2 to apply for an exemption form.)

Miami?

That's the only one that gives free parking with just a handicapped lanyard.

I think she just has to show the documentation that came with the lanyard and her driver's license. She has to be in the car (I think), but doesn't have to be driving.

Again...only for Miami.

Charleston is also free.

And if its Miami, she has to be in the car when you park it... .

And once you park with someone with disabilities in the car.... Is it a long walk? or is there a shuttle?

We were going to park at a friends house in Ft.Lauderdale BUT.. My Mom has a HC Permit. But she can't walk very far. We are bringing a wheelchair for my father so maybe I can drop everyone else off then push her from the parking to the terminal. Just wondering what the distance it.

Special parking spaces are provided. The parking fee is waived for vehicles that:

2. Display the Florida Toll Exemption permit. (Call 800-983-2435 ext. 2 to apply for an exemption form.)

This does NOT include free parking with just the placard.

It's free in Port Canaveral as long as you have HC tags or a placard and the vehicle has some sort of modification. We sailed out in July and I showed them the scooter lift and seat and pedal modifications and the guy wrote down the license plate number and we were on our way.

Not according to the cruise terminal site.

http://www.portcanaveral.com/cruising/parking.php

Parking for the Disabled

I was with someone with all credentials for handicap, we were told NO. Had to pay. Yes there are spots to park (a TON of them). Maybe things have changed. We did not have any special equipment visible. We were told, at that time, that Canaveral was the only port that charged.

From experience.......only Miami in Florida gives you free parking with a blue placard..............the others require your vehicle to be equipped to allow a wheelchair onboard.....without breaking it down..........it is a huge perk..........gotta love Miami for the $140.00 price break on a 7 day cruise......not sure where you guys are getting $15.00 per day from.....it is $20. in Miami and Tampa.....almost another person cruising in the same room as you........

From experience.......only Miami in Florida gives you free parking with a blue placard..............the others require your vehicle to be equipped to allow a wheelchair onboard.....without breaking it down..........it is a huge perk..........gotta love Miami for the $140.00 price break on a 7 day cruise......not sure where you guys are getting $15.00 per day from.....it is $20. in Miami and Tampa.....almost another person cruising in the same room as you........

Tampa must have gone up, it was $15/day the last time we sailed from there.

Just a quick question, but why should it be free? I thought disabled people in general wanted to be treated like everyone else.

I kinda have to agree. So many with stickers and plates. Sit and watch at Walmart how some hop out of a car. Yes, many disabilities are internal. I have a nephew declared handicapped, on disability, yet it's from lifestyle vs. actual physical problems.

Does it bother you that some people are getting something for free and you're not?

No, it bothers me when people demand equal rights and get special treatment. I understand handicap parking and why it needs to be closer etc. I don't understand why it is free.

Just a quick question, but why should it be free? I thought disabled people in general wanted to be treated like everyone else.

:eek: I personally find this comment very rude and you clearly have not been in public with someone with a visible disability!

People have disabilities for various reasons...and YES people abuse the term in many ways. It bothers me when people slap that place card the window and run into a store quickly!! I have actually called the police on friends who use the place cards because grandma died and it hasn't expired!

My father is a paraplegic due to a work accident 20 years ago. Due to his declining health and now having to use an electric wheelchair..we can NOT fly!!

I give kudos to Carnival for offering a MINOR perk for those with disabilities to enjoy their vacations.

I, for one, am glad it is free. After paying for 5 years of cancer treatments and living on a disablilty check, I don't have any extra. Our cruises (every other year) are gifts from our parents, so we can just get away. We buy nothing onboard and seldom get off of the ship. Never been on an excursion.

I, for one, am glad it is free. After paying for 5 years of cancer treatments and living on a disablilty check, I don't have any extra. Our cruises (every other year) are gifts from our parents, so we can just get away. We buy nothing onboard and seldom get off of the ship. Never been on an excursion.

Im glad you can get away. I used to take my sister and not be able to do a lot of excursions, thats why Im going nuts now (she got married so Im by myself).

I knew there would be a time and place when I could do what I wanted.

Now Im learning how to cruise for myself.

:eek: I personally find this comment very rude and you clearly have not been in public with someone with a visible disability!

I agree. I am a cancer patient.

People have disabilities for various reasons...and YES people abuse the term in many ways. It bothers me when people slap that place card the window and run into a store quickly!! I have actually called the police on friends who use the place cards because grandma died and it hasn't expired!

I also agree. I have had my placard stolen. We now have the license plate on the car.

I give kudos to Carnival for offering a MINOR perk for those with disabilities to enjoy their vacations.

In Charleston, the free parking is from the state. I called the port authority and questioned the cost. When I told her "thank you", She told me to thank the government of SC. I don't know who gives this perk in Fla., but you are right, kudos to them.

Archived