Grats and alcohol r.c.i.

postmeome

On behalf of fellow Englishmen - Yes this is a new concept - We do not tip when we go into a pub/bar and order a drink (generally)

However we know that as a US line we act 'when in Rome'...so we tip....but the OP did not (apparently)

Not sure what Englishmen you are speaking for , but this is no new concept . Ships or on land . We go out regular locally and into Liverpool city centre and tip where we go . As do family and friends . Nothing new then unless its a local custom here . ;)

Not sure what Englishmen you are speaking for , but this is no new concept . Ships or on land . We go out regular locally and into Liverpool city centre and tip where we go . As do family and friends . Nothing new then unless its a local custom here . ;)

hi willo60

ever been in the sefton or busbys on a saturday night and give barstaff a pound every time you had a pint?;):):D, Iwill always buy barstaff a drink when i am out, wether they have a drink or put it in there tip jar. it's all about choices.;)

hi willo60

ever been in the sefton or busbys on a saturday night and give barstaff a pound every time you had a pint?;):):D, Iwill always buy barstaff a drink when i am out, wether they have a drink or put it in there tip jar. it's all about choices.;)

Sefton ye . Busbys no ! More Duke St. now at my age .

Always in a party of couples .

All about choices is spot on . If you go cruising its well documented everywhere on the tipping score though .

Brilliance of Seas in March 2012 , Dubai . Wont be drinking water ! :D

:o Feeling a little embarrassed to be English here. We've only been on a few cruises but I think it's wonderful to 'tip'. Whenever we go out in England, either for a meal or a few drinks, we ALWAYS tip, so being on a cruise was not a 'shock' to us. I just think the whole culture of 'tipping' is wonderful. But have to say, if service is not good here we don't. Sometimes there is an automatic charge but again, if service is not great, we can refuse. This doesn't happen very often I hasten to add. Hope this makes sense. :)

:o Feeling a little embarrassed to be English here. We've only been on a few cruises but I think it's wonderful to 'tip'. Whenever we go out in England, either for a meal or a few drinks, we ALWAYS tip, so being on a cruise was not a 'shock' to us. I just think the whole culture of 'tipping' is wonderful. But have to say, if service is not good here we don't. Sometimes there is an automatic charge but again, if service is not great, we can refuse. This doesn't happen very often I hasten to add. Hope this makes sense. :)

Nothing to be embarrassed about . Agree with all that you stated here . Went on 1st cruise 1997 Thomson ship only 600 passengers ( cant remember name maybe Sapphire ), all English , all tipped . Plenty people onboard on 1st cruise like us , tipping seemed the norm and people happy to oblige .

Didnt know everybody on board ;) , but there was good feel about the custom .

On double figures now for cruising , happy to continue with "English" version of tipping . Its entirely up to the individual .

Happy cruising everyone . Good tipping to you all . :D

Archived